cover letter for internship/editorial assistant

storyreader

Registered
Reaction score
I am applying for editorial internships and editorial assistant jobs. I can't wait to have a job that I actually am exited about! This is my cover letter for an internship. How does it look? I tried to make myself sound qualified even though I have never worked as an editor or published anything.

To Whom it May Concern:

Your Spring editorial internship at ----------- is a position of great interest to me. While researching publishing houses, I found that your press has released titles that I would have loved to be a part of. I will be finishing my coursework at ----------University this winter with a B.A. in Art History, and a Minor in English. My administrative experience in my current job and related writing courses taken in college would be a strong asset to the Seal staff.
As a -----------, I have developed a variety of skills applicable to this position, including handling a large volume of phone calls and emails, corresponding with clients and staff, keeping documents and projects organized, and writing and editing promotional content. During my college career I have been able to practice writing, mostly in the form of research papers. However, in my class titled Introduction to Fiction Writing, taught by ------, is where I learned valuable editing skills. It was a class where students were able to workshop their stories and get feedback. I have always loved stories; it was during this class though, that I realized I have a passion for editing them. I hope I can bring that passion to -------and continue to learn all things editing!
The following resume provides additional details about my background. I am available for interviews at your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you, and thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,

story reader

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Needs tidying up a bit... have bolded awkward / incorrect bits.

To Whom it May Concern: [Shouldn't that be 'Dear Sir or Madam? I sort of associate To Whom It May Concern with a letter informing the police that you have stolen the Mona Lisa for ransom, or something similar.]

Your Spring editorial internship at ----------- is a position of great interest to me. [Why not simply: I am greatly interested in your Spring editorial internship.] While researching publishing houses, I found that your press has released titles that I would have loved to be a part of. [Horrid syntax, and it sounds kind of like boilerplate] I will be finishing my coursework at ----------University this winter with a B.A. in Art History and a Minor in English. My administrative experience in my current job and related writing courses taken in college would be a strong asset to the Seal staff. [Should be 'strong assets', if admin experience and writing courses are two things.]
As a -----------, I have developed a variety of skills applicable to this position, including handling a large volume of phone calls and emails, corresponding with clients and staff, keeping documents and projects organized, and writing and editing promotional content. During my college career I have been able to practice writing, mostly in the form of research papers. However, in my class titled Introduction to Fiction Writing, taught by ------, is where I learned valuable editing skills. [Drop the 'however'. 'In my class ... is where' is wrong. 'I learned editing skills in my Introduction to Fiction Writing class, taught by [person they have heard of]']. It was a class where students were able to workshop their stories and get feedback. I have always loved stories; it was during this class though, that I realized I have a passion for editing them. I hope I can bring that passion to -------and continue to learn all things editing [awkward, probably ought to be all things editorial, but even that doesn't sound great.]
The following resume provides additional details about my background. I am available for interviews at your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you, and thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,

story reader

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi storyreader,
I like Torgo's suggestions, and here are some of mine (in bold italics). In general, you should try to be active rather than passive--"I am interested in the position," rather than "is of interest to me," for example. Keep your sentences simple and direct; if the reader has to get to the end to figure out your point, you're not selling yourself well. Take my advicewith a grain of salt--this is your letter and these are just suggestions. Good luck!
Nomad

I am applying for editorial internships and editorial assistant jobs. I can't wait to have a job that I actually am exited about! This is my cover letter for an internship. How does it look? I tried to make myself sound qualified even though I have never worked as an editor or published anything.

To Whom it May Concern:

Your Spring editorial internship at ----------- is a position of great interest to me. ([I]This should be active rather than passive: "I am interested in the Spring 2008 editorial internship position you advertised in (or "I saw in" where you saw it--pubs like to know if their pr/pub/marketing is working).") [/I]While researching publishing houses, I found that your press has released titles that I would have loved to be a part of. (This is really awkward and kind of hard to understand--what about saying you found their list of titles fascinating and look forward to reading some of them?) I will be finishing my coursework at ----------University this winter with a B.A. in Art History, and a Minor in English. My administrative experience in my current job and related writing courses taken in college would be a strong asset to the Seal staff. (again here, make this active rather than passive: I have administrative experience and strong writing skills that will be an asset to the Seal staff. Then you can list the skills below. )As a -----------, I have developed a variety of skills applicable to this position, including handling a large volume of phone calls and emails, corresponding with clients and staff, keeping documents and projects organized, and writing and editing promotional content. During my college career I have been able to practice writing, mostly in the form of research papers. However, in my class titled Introduction to Fiction Writing, taught by ------, is where I learned valuable editing skills. (This is also very awkward. I don't think you need to detail the class or the professor unless he or she is very well known; rather, you could cut that part out and leave it as, "Through a fiction writing workshop I discovered that while I have always loved stories, I realized I also have a passion for editing them." [/I]It was a class where students were able to workshop their stories and get feedback. I have always loved stories; it was during this class though, that I realized I have a passion for editing them. I hope I can bring that passion to -------and continue to learn all things editing! [I](Torgo makes a good suggestions with "all things editorial.")The following resume provides additional details about my background. I am available for interviews at your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you, and thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,

story reader

Last edited:

storyreader

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Torgo and Nomad. Those were excellent suggestions. I have been told before that my writing is too passive. I am hoping to start seriously looking for a job after about 6 months of interning after I graduate. Does that amount of time qualify me for most editorial assistant jobs? I know that the hiring process is not black and white and everybody is looking for something different, but in your experience what do you think?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Thanks Torgo and Nomad.I am hoping to start seriously looking for a job after about 6 months of interning after I graduate. Does that amount of time qualify me for most editorial assistant jobs? I

I got my ed. assistant job off the back of a month temping in the position straight out of college; in London, at least, publishers look for junior staff mostly from a handful of recruitment agencies. Maybe in the States they like to have you as interns first - does that mean you don't get paid? What a gyp. I believe that as long as you are organized, reliable and have a decent relationship with the English language, you don't need to take a bunch of courses or have any relevant experience to start off in editing. Most things can be taught on the job, and there are editorial jobs to fit a wide variety of skill sets.

storyreader

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, an internship is where you work and don't get paid, not something I'm very exited about.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you absolutely need to have an internship; I had one while I was still in college--thought it would look good on my resume, although honestly no one seemed to care very much. Editorial assistantships pay so badly that turnover is really high. I think you'll be fine submitting right out of school. If you want an internship, try to get one now; they are actually quite useful and I had a really good time in mine. They also can lead to job offers right out of school (mine did).
Good luck!