The great re-write

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
Well...upon doing the rewrite my new novel has under gone a huge change. It has metamorphed into something new and taken a fresh twist. It has been interesting to say the least and I have solved several plot problems that I was dealing with before. I have managed to ad another 150 pages to the manuscript and given it a brand new ending and a near new beginning.
I am much happier with it...if not a little excited. I do wish that I had someone in this genere to be a beta reader but I am very private when it comes to my manuscripts I have a very difficult time sharing it with people I don't know (so the SYW is out for me)...ah well...I have had friends who have read it...but they aren't critical enough especially since the genre is foreign to them.
Any how...that's my small brag for the week. I just felt like patting myself on the back so excuse me if you would ;)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Good job! Rewrites are massive work (I have a scary one coming up, EEK!), and you should be patting yourself on the back. In fact, you should be celebrating.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent!

But you know, you have an open invitation to join our writer's group that meets up not far from you. I know there's at least a couple of us who enjoy dark stories...and we have pub creds to boot!

So no excuse for not knowing someone--you just have to come out and meet us. :)

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent!

But you know, you have an open invitation to join our writer's group that meets up not far from you. I know there's at least a couple of us who enjoy dark stories...and we have pub creds to boot!

So no excuse for not knowing someone--you just have to come out and meet us. :)

I really want to come, but it seems like everytime that it gets close something happens here at home. I work from home and sometimes that means 12 hours a day 7 days a week (or more) depending on what's going on. I do plan on trying my best to make it this Sunday.

E.M.Sterling

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, another thought about sharing works with total strangers...since you brought up the writers meeting...
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like it its like flashing your "unmentionables" ;).
Seriously.
For me, writing is very personal...no matter the genre. Am I the only one that shakes when its my turn to "read"?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I'm with you there. I sold a horror story to a podcast, and was so excited to listen to someone reading my work. But when it came on, I had this big instinct to cover the guy's mouth with my hand, tell him, "Shush! That's private!"

I don't like to share a WIP, but once something is done as best as I can do, I don't mind a good slashing of it from others. I think taking a critique is something you have to warm up to. I was in a crit group of people who only did fluffy-bunny crits, so I thought hey, I'm pretty good! Then I joined a larger, more professional group and put something up for critique and the first one I got was brutal. But it was a good brutal, and gave me something to work on. I sold that story without making the changes that the critter suggested, but I've carried his critique with me ever since and it's made me a better writer.

Some writers never share their work with anyone but editors. Maybe you're one of those? There's nothing wrong with that. Some of my work goes straight out on submission.