• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dorrance / Whitmore / RoseDog Books / Red Lead Press / I-Proclaim

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
These people don't go away. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from John Rectenwald, a "publishing services consultant at Dorrance Publishing." One of their researchers had discovered that my manuscript (Lord Edward's Mysterious Treasure) had been registered for copyright. He suggested that I submit it for consideration to see if they would be interested in publishing it.
One problem. It's already been published.
I hate that they hook people with these fishing expeditions.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Is Dorrance Publishing a vanity press?

Hello.

I wanted to post this question, but I didn't know in what forum to post it. Since this is about different publishers, I posted it here. Mod, if it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

I wanted to submit my work to Dorrance Publishing, but I am very skeptical. Do you have to pay to publish with them?

Thanks
maggiee19

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here you are - Dorrance

If you check in the AW Index to Agents, Publishers and Others, you can find threads on most of the people you want to know about. Some are great, some are good and some best avoided.

Good on you for doing your research before you get tangled up with some of the shady players. :Sun:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I bookmarked the page on your link for future reference.
maggiee19

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
I just got an email from a fellow by the name of Perry Latimer at Dorrance Publishing, stating how excited he is to hear that <My book title> is completed. Apparently, one of his researchers found the title registered at the Library of Congress, and he'd like to read it to see if it's worthy of consideration by Dorrance.

I replied with a link to <My book title> on Amazon and told him I'd be thrilled if he'd pay the $14.95 to read it. :roll:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That made me smile. Thanks!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Now that Tate is on the ropes (with the most ridiculous sentence for felony crime known to man), Dorrance is now taking out full-color ads in the Oklahoman & Times - the Sunday Edition, no less. Blood in the water, I guess.

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
I just got ANOTHER call from them (REF: my posts on the previous page), and this time they claimed to have sent me a few emails, and that for some reason it's likely ending up in my Spam box (which is supposedly why I don't respond to them). They waited four years to try me again, and they gave me all the same stuff (99 years, A grade in BBB, something signed/certified by the president of the company, blah blah blah). The guy SOUNDED like a robot, too, except for clearing his throat occasionally. I asked him outright about pricing, and he said he wouldn't know until he'd reviewed my work (no pricing packages at this time). It's bad enough they think I don't know any better (thanks to you all for setting me up for success on this one), but the fact that they hit me up about the SAME BOOK four years later (one that nobody wanted) ... after I had sent the LoC four additional books ... is just ... just ... wow.

I had half a mind to tell the guy off, but he's probably just another hardworking person like the rest of us. Gotta be professional, right?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm old and cranky, but I have no problem demeaning a hardworking person who knows he's duping people out of their money. My favorite is to remind them their parents had such big hopes for them, and look at them, trying to cheat old people (or whatever it is they're doing).

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel that way, too, Maryn. Look at this hilarity:

Brian:

Kyleigh has informed me that you will shortly be submitting your book for possible publication with Dorrance.

I have notified our review team and they expect to receive your book soon. Should you be delayed in submitting your material, please let Kyleigh know so that we can adjust our workload accordingly.

If you have any questions about the review or publication process, that my staff can not address to your satisfaction, please feelfree to reach out to me.

I look forward to possibly partnering with you as you become a published author.

David Zeolla
President
Dorrance Publishing Company, Inc.

P.S. I would like to offer you a 20% discount at our Dorrance Bookstore as a thank you for considering us as your publication partner. Simply visit our bookstore at DorranceBookstore.com, choose any number of books that you may enjoy and enter the code GetPublished when checking out.

Seriously! I'm considering a nasty reply.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel that way, too, Maryn. Look at this hilarity:\
(snip)
I have notified our review team and they expect to receive your book soon. Should you be delayed in submitting your material, please let Kyleigh know so that we can adjust our workload accordingly.
(snip)

Seriously! I'm considering a nasty reply.

Considering? Read that again and go for the jugular - if not for yourself, for all those people who get these messages and have no idea what's going on.

Listen to the tone: 'You have raised our expectations. If you don't send your stuff (which you may not be aware that we are expecting)pronto, it will mess with our workflow.'
How many innocent newbies will read that, feel bad and apologize to them?