What kind of poster are you, anyway?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Well? Tell us.

I'll go first. Slow and deliberate, sometimes agonizing over what to say, taking entirely too long to express simple sentiments, reading and rereading the post, adding a comma here, changing a word there as if I were working on a critical draft of my WIP, and then during the final read-through, I shit-can the whole idea and decide not to submit the post.

So, what kind of poster are you, anyway?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
About the same, SK. I write many a post that I never actually submit. I do the same thing with email (when I'm really, really perturbed about something it helps to write it out, then delete it all). It's goofy of me, but there you go.

Now, the real question is will I actually submit this reply to your thread? Hmmm.

;)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
hasselhoff.gif

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to think I could be that Farrah Fawcett poster. But I am poorly qualified to compare to her.

Oh crapola! Spook beat me to it!
Ok... I am a slow poster, and I am horrible about editing my posts and even deleting them.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
The complete opposite. Quick to shoot off a response, often with typos because my keyboard is sticky. Although I try to think a little about content before I type, so hopefully I don't unintentionally offend anyone.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the type of poster you're mod warned you about

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
About half the time, I leave out a word or a comma or some such nonsense. Then I have to go back and add it, always hoping that I'll beat the grace-period-timer that likes to advertise that I, yet again, had to edit my goddamned post.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I write what I want to say, make sure it's really what I want to say, check to make sure I've caught all the typos and then send. It backfires a lot, though, and I have to go in and edit anyway, but hey - I try.

It's only when the discussion's a little **ahem** heated, that I make sure to wait a few minutes before posting. Oh, and I have to make sure that I have a smilie if what I've written can be taken as bitchy. Sometimes I forget the smiley and all hell breaks loose. :D

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I’m basically a pretty casual, spur-of-the-moment poster. I usually peruse through the New Posts list and check out the threads and only click into ones that either intrigue me or have been started by someone I know or like.

Sometimes I go quite a while before I see something that moves me to post.

Sometimes, I’ll have an urge to share my POV if I feel it’ll contribute, sometimes I’ll just insert a quip or a joke (cuz that’s my personality anyway – an irreverent smartass) and sometimes a thread is just good ol’ fashioned fun and a lot of people jump in. Those are my favorite.

Certain type threads I don’t go into or won’t ever post in. But there are a couple of habit-threads that I like cuz they require a little creativity but not enough to make it seem like work.

I try to be even-tempered and fair when I post but even if I think my view might not be popular or welcome, it still won't deter me if it’s something I feel I have to say.

I’m a big supporter of the underdog and can’t stand groupthink. So I usually have my say when I see a victim of it.

Sometimes my thoughts will involve serious thoughts and emotions from deep within me and sometimes they’ll be crass jokes and innuendoes. I can’t resist cracking a joke if I see it or if someone sets it up. And I can’t resist inserting my opinion if I feel it isn’t being represented or if I feel it’s being overlooked.

With serious issues and posts, I’ll usually type them up in Word first so I can compose my thoughts into a coherent order and limit any typos. But otherwise, I’ll just click on reply and shoot straight from the hip.

Also some threads bore me fairly quickly, no matter how serious the topic or discussion. If I see the same views being repeated ad nauseum or if things aren’t progressing and have basically stagnated into a stalemate or if they’ve digressed into something that no longer interest me than I usually won’t enter them again.

Same thing if a poster’s being dense or difficult. I’m not terribly invested in any thread – definitely not enough to get worked up over anyone’s difference in opinion or personality quirks or cries for attention etc.

So, to be honest, I don’t know exactly what type of poster I am. I just is. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I ramble, tend to put a lot of things in parenthesis (for no good reason) and use phrases like, or what have you, if you see what I mean, a lot, but never really seem to come to any kind of point (but I do often say the same thing at least three different ways to try and make it clear), so I would say yeah, probably I am a rambler when it comes to posting and then half the time I don't actually post the reply anyway (as I realise at the very end that it's rambling).

Yeah.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Three words: hezbollah bowling league.

What do you think?
Crap! Now this thread might end up in the Politics forum. :D

Mr. Haskins brings up a good point. Depending on the forum, would you let your hair down more in a writing sense when posting in Office Party, more than you would in other forums?

I'm fascinated by writers who contribute to this message board, and wonder whether they feel differently about their posts than say, anything else they might happen to write.

ETA: Told you I was slow. This thread is speeding by...

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by writers who contribute to this message board, and wonder whether they feel differently about their posts than say, anything else they might happen to write.

Yep, I do. I'm mostly here for information or to take a break. I'm careful with my WIPs.

But I didn't even know that your could go back and edit a post. Jeez, I need to pay better attention.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Such a thought-provoking question, Silver King.

Now, just to show you what kind of poster I am, I am going to have to get back to you on this question after I think about it first.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my main MO when posting is to have a passionate opinion. If I only feel/think mildly about the topic then I usually refrain. Another reason why I post a comment is because I like a word that somebody used. For instance, I looked up Post and poster before I typed this response. So my final answer is: I am the archaic type of poster, also called a post horse, which (was) is a horse kept, as at a station on a post road, for the use of persons riding post or for hire by travellers. Today, this poster is feeling her oats!!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Such a thought-provoking question, Silver King.

Now, just to show you what kind of poster I am, I am going to have to get back to you on this question after I think about it first.

Indecisive boob. Check.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Crap! Now this thread might end up in the Politics forum. :D

Mr. Haskins brings up a good point. Depending on the forum, would you let your hair down more in a writing sense when posting in Office Party, more than you would in other forums?

ETA: Told you I was slow. This thread is speeding by...
ToT will be swinging by any second, now that her beloved Bears have won. I'd write that in this forum, only. Maybe, in TIO. Probably not in politics, though.

My writing reflects which forum I'm in, for the most part. All the threads have a bit of goofing off in them. How can they not. Consider the group.

My WIP reflects humor, too.

I'm a prick.
:Hug2:

Yep, I do. I'm mostly here for information or to take a break. I'm careful with my WIPs.

But I didn't even know that your could go back and edit a post. Jeez, I need to never pay attention.
I can edit your post, too :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Indecisive boob. Check.

No, no, no. I just like to put some thought into my posts, you, you goofball.

See? Before I typed goofball, I had to think about it first.

I thought: What should I call him? Creep? No. Cupcake? No. Bastard? No. Phlemwad? No. Freak? No.

It always takes so much thought.