Status
Not open for further replies.

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
Greatest Uncommon Denominator Magazine is in a slump of short nonfiction submissions. We all know how to find fiction writers and poets, and to an extent we're okay with finding art we like online and asking for it--but where do we go for "cutting edge" nonfiction that's more interesting than "the latest writing advice" and less dated than a book review or an author interview. ((we've had 40 submitted in the span of three issues! As compared to over 3000 stories!))

We're looking for something intelligent that doesn't talk down to the reader--if the reader has to look a few things up to follow along, that's ok (if you give them places to look it up and/or verbal cues to help them along, that's ok, too). Of course, we're also just looking for something "different", something "lasting", and something "that makes us need to share it with everyone". We don't quite know what that might be.

If you've got some short nonfiction, we'd love to see it! Our current issue is themed "mechanical flight", so anything related to that even tangentially (a treatise on the symbology of flight in dreams, or a history of mechanical flight in science fiction, or whatever) would be great--and anything not related, so long as it might be GUD material--we'll be happy to consider it. :) Submissions via our webform at http://www.gudmagazine.com/subs/submit.php

We pay advances of 3 cents per word for unpublished material, 1 cent per word reprints--details here

Any thoughts as to where else we might seek such contributions would be greatly appreciated!

To date we've published a journal entry related to a poetry conference; a somewhat high-brow report investigating the relation between poetry and programming; and some gonzo journalism from Poland. We're willing to go there. Can you take us there?

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Normally, a post like this belongs in Paying Markets but because it's specifically aimed at nonfic writers, I think we should leave it here.

Good luck. I hope you get some interesting subs.

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
Normally, a post like this belongs in Paying Markets but because it's specifically aimed at nonfic writers, I think we should leave it here.

Thanks. I got all kinds of mixed up last night (and it's still last night, sadly). Do non-fiction folks look in paying markets? Maybe GUD is just too under the radar for requesting stuff like that, somehow, and that's an image we need to work on. I only realized last night that most of the writing boards I was on _had_ non-fiction areas! Somehow, not expecting them, I never even noticed.

Good luck. I hope you get some interesting subs.

Much appreciated!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
What length works are you looking for? Not that I can offer much beyond musings on knitting...

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
What length works are you looking for? Not that I can offer much beyond musings on knitting...

I'd hazard our fiction lengths would apply--something between 50 and 15,000 words; though most likely, something between 500 and 5000. Thanks :)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What's the submission window for the current issue? (I may be blind here, but I can't find it on the site.)

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Kaolin,
Great concept for a magazine! :) I love that the writer keeps getting money if the story sells.

If you're experiencing a dearth of non-fiction, it could be because you're very much marketing the publication as a fiction, art and poetry magazine on the website. You had to read down quite a ways to even find out you publish articles / essays, etc., with only a brief mention of interviews early on.

Also, do you have any word count guidelines? (Minimum, maximum?) or as long as it holds your attention, intrigues, entertains and or educates you, are you good (or gud?) LOL

Dawn
P.S. The place to find the most people who write "short non-fiction" would be in the freelance writing forum.

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
Great concept for a magazine! :) I love that the writer keeps getting money if the story sells.

Thanks! We have high hopes. :)

If you're experiencing a dearth of non-fiction, it could be because you're very much marketing the publication as a fiction, art and poetry magazine on the website.

A very good point, and just goes to show that we didn't give non-fiction the weight it deserved to start with. Hopefully an upcoming re-design will make it more visible. :)

Also, do you have any word count guidelines? (Minimum, maximum?) or as long as it holds your attention, intrigues, entertains and or educates you, are you good (or gud?) LOL

That's pretty much it. Anything from 50 to 15,000 words, and as a gut feeling probably best between 500 and 5000. :)

P.S. The place to find the most people who write "short non-fiction" would be in the freelance writing forum.

Thanks! Adding to my notes. =) The interest in "maybe sending us something" has been much higher than I budgeted time for this week. :)
I still have to write our black friday sale functionality... (eep!)

Status
Not open for further replies.