Songs that make you cry

Mathilda

Registered
Reaction score
The ones that immediately came to mind have been mentioned: Ava Maria (and I'm not a Christian) Danny Boy, Only Time by Enya. Tons of Irish songs make me cry. Another one: Morning Has Broken sung by Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sSEkZ86ts It's so beautiful and spiritual...

FrogWrite

Registered
Reaction score
In The Sun by Joseph Arthur. "If I find my way, how much will I find... you." I get chills writing these lyrics.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Top of the World" by the Dixie Chicks.

I know, right? The freaking Dixie Chicks?

There's something about that song, though. I'm not even entirely sure what the lyrics are all about, but when the strings join in near the end, I tear up. Every time.

Aleta

i'm mad at the dirt
Registered
Reaction score
Website
absolutelyaleta.wordpress.com
This tune from Riverdance, played by Davy Spillane on the uillean, always tears me up. It's a hauntingly beautiful piece of music that reminds me of my dearly-departed parents, and the Ireland they left behind a few years before I was born to start a new life in Canada.

Cuina Cu Chulainn

i agree. it's extraordinary how that instrument by itself is so moving.

RunningWithScissors

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get affected by most sad songs, alot of the ones that try to be sad are just kind of a narm for me. BUT, there are a few exceptions if I'm an a particular mood. Maggot Brain by Funkadelic can bring me to tears, a few Marvin Gaye songs can do it to me too, Poverty's Paradise by 24 Carat black can be tough for me to listen to as well.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Inky, totally understand what you mean about that song. I tear up just thinking about it. It reminds of something similar I went through when I was in Jr. High.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Strangely "Come on Hear the Noise"--the Quiet Riot version always chokes me up. It was the big song the year my mom died. I was driving to see her every weekend and had lots of time to listen to the car radio and cry. --s6

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
I'm listening to "Kilkelly" right now. The lead singer's got a lovely voice! I feel like this song was referenced in Sue Klebold's memoir.

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
1. "Luka" by Suzanne Vega
2. "1916" by Motorhead
3. "What's the Matter Here" by 10,000 Maniacs
4. "Winter" by Tori Amos

LuaVerena

Creative Creature
Registered
Reaction score
-'Asleep' by The Smiths once made me start crying while in public. I'm lucky no-one else was paying attention to me!

-'Bringing the Body Back Home' by The Real Tuesday Weld is an amazing song, and one that I'll always associate with breaking down bawling in my room, a moment which finally galvanised me to later come out to my parents.

-'Konyadake' by Takkyu and Tavitz always makes my heart hurt in a good way, both from the beautiful tune and the use of it in Devilman Crybaby.

-'Good bye jonathan' by Adustam. I'm always amazed by how Adustam seems to tell stories with their music despite being almost entirely instrumental. "Lust for Summer Blues' is another beautiful song of theirs, and was used to amazing effect in the animated short 'Kanamewo'.

-Both 'Ocean Breathes Salty' and 'The World at Large' by Modest Mouth don't exactly make me tear up, but they're raw and melancholic songs from a great band.

-'White Silence' by TK, from Ling Tosite Sigure. Even without understanding the lyrics, which are tear-jerking in of themselves, the ethereal vocals and instrumentation are enough to make you tear up.

Sam Artisan

Held captive by angry blue elves.
Registered
Reaction score
"Across the Universe" gets me so bad I can barely stand to listen to it for some reason.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap (I just started getting really teary-eyed all over a sudden)

One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men (Reminds me of my aunt who passed)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm not a huge crier, but:

"Amazing Grace" (most the time, not all the time). The story behind it is wonderful, and it's also one of the most remarkable tunes matches with some of the most soul-rending lyrics ever written.

"Lost Boy" by Ruth B. This one almost caused me to start blubbering once at work. It is clearly using "lost boy" metaphorically, but all of a sudden I started thinking of Michael Llewelyn Davies, one of the boys who inspired Peter Pan and who died at 20.

And I simply cannot watch those Sarah McLaughlin animal commercials. Though I said I'm not a crier, what'll get me faster and easier than anything else is sad animals. So I hear that song and I go "nope" and change the channel, because I don't want to feel bad that I can't help every one of those animals.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
"Lost Boy" by Ruth B. This one almost caused me to start blubbering once at work. It is clearly using "lost boy" metaphorically, but all of a sudden I started thinking of Michael Llewelyn Davies, one of the boys who inspired Peter Pan and who died at 20.

Just heard that song, well someone on YouTube sang a cover. Such a beautifully melancholic song.

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
"Mercy Street" by Peter Gabriel makes me cry every time I hear it--and I mean really cry. It's about Anne Sexton's struggle with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, but it's written in the same cryptic manner as Sexton's own poem "45 Mercy Street" and even has a few lines from the poem in the song.

"Journey to the Past" by Liz Callaway (from the Anastasia soundtrack) gets me choked up even if the tears don't flow. When you boil it down, it's just about a girl who is looking for a place where she belongs and can call home. It's very relatable.