Songs that make you cry

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Since we're thread-chaining here :). What songs make you cry?

Love Song for a Savior by Jars of Clay. That hits me exactly in the heart every single time. It's about a little girl (like my own little girls) learning to fall in love with Jesus.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dork alert.

Puff the Magic Dragon -- my kids recently asked for me to sing it to them at bedtime. I had to practice it for a day so I could get through it without choking up.

I Loves You Porgy -- Ella, live in Rome.

It's Different for Girls -- Joe Jackson.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
All the songs that make me cry are in Spanish so it may be pointless to name them but..

Volver - by Vicente Fernandez
Por Unas Monedas - by Pepe Aguilar
Es Demaciado Tarde - by Ana Gabriel

Just to name a few

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
John Lennon's "Just like starting over" I know he wrote that to Paul in his own way letting him know that he was cool with Paul and that all the bad stuff was behind him. "It's been to long since we took the time no one's to blame, I know time flys so quickly" -- Let's spread our WINGS (Pauls solo group) and fly, don't let "ANOTHER DAY" (Early McCartney song) go by "MY LOVE" (another McCartney song) "It'll be just like Starting over. The song also makes mention of doing things they use to do in the "EARLY DAYS" which is how all the Beatles would refer to their stuggles in Hamberg, and Liverpool. I tear up just thinking that a few days after the release of the song he was killed... I' guess I'm a dork too......

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever misted up the first time I heard a song, but...

Pachelbel's Canon in D

DDT's Eto Vsyo (sorry for the bad phonetic Russian). Couldn't understand more than a few words the first time I heard it, but the music (and Yuri Shefchuk's amazing voice) was so evocative I knew what it was about all the same.

Peter, Paul & Mary's Light One Candle, from their holiday CD

Puff the Magic Dragon, by the same, but that's mostly because my godfather played it for me the day before he died.

And Springsteen's My City of Ruin from the WTC benefit. Doesn't make me cry anymore, but it still gives me chills.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
This is verrrrry embarrassing; I'm only telling you.... "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" by I don't know who. Yes, the one that started as a Coke commercial and then got turned into that international Peace thing, or something. We have it on a kids' CD that's been in the car for years and somehow recently made its way into the player. I have to pretend I'm concentrating on the road if my kids talk to me while it's playing. What would it *do* to them if they knew their mother cried for that? (At least I'm not their dad.) But it's true! I really would like to build the world a house and furnish it with love!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The one song that gets me every single time is That's My Job by Conway Twitty. Corny, I know...but really, the lyrics are a killer.

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid!
How would I go on, with you gone that way?
Don't wanna cry anymore
So may I stay with you?"

And he said,
"That's my job, that's what I do
Everything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me ...
That's my job, you see."

But there are a lot of songs out there that make me cry when they hit me in the right mood.

Last edited:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot one...

Patty Griffin's Rain, which I cannot find a copy of anywhere but on YouTube as I think it was released on DVD. Great song for depressed moments.

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
The one that I think of off the top of my head is "Your Guardian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Pretty much anything can make me cry at the right moments. The song from Bridge to Terebithia (Possible horrible misspelling) "Why Can't We Be Friends" makes me cry because of the rest of the movie.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's probably several, but one that stands out was one I heard in 2002 from the songwriting newsgroup (yeah, I'm there in the archives somewhere). Someone asked in a timely way "did you ever write one of THOSE songs, you know, on THAT subject...?" and this guy answered and posted his lyrics. I glanced them over and they didn't really strike me, but he said he had it recorded on a CD, and he was going to get his son to rip it and make an mp3 of it for him to post. He finally did, and well...I listened, and re-read the lyrics and had a new respect for them - it's like I didn't even read them the first time.

It's titled "If There's Anything Good" and you can listen to most of it here, scroll down and on the play button by "12 If There's Anything Good":
http://cdbaby.com/cd/larrywhitler
I suppose you could buy the CD, but he's got individual song downloads for sale here:
http://musicishere.com/artists/Larry_Whitler/_One_Heart/
Also, there's a link to the lyrics here (the fourth song down):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...nt=music&songcount=212&offset=0&currentPage=8

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
There's just a couple of lines in a single song that make me 1) get goosebumps and then 2) tear up. Its from Walking in Memphis:

She said, Are you a Christian, child?
I said, Ma'am, I am tonight.

I love the whole song, but mostly for those two lines.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
John Lennon's "Just like starting over"
Okay, a good rockin' song, but I'm wondering how it gets in to THIS thread, then I keep reading:
I know he wrote that to Paul in his own way letting him know that he was cool with Paul and that all the bad stuff was behind him. "It's been to long since we took the time no one's to blame, I know time flys so quickly" -- Let's spread our WINGS (Pauls solo group) and fly, don't let "ANOTHER DAY" (Early McCartney song) go by "MY LOVE" (another McCartney song) "It'll be just like Starting over. The song also makes mention of doing things they use to do in the "EARLY DAYS" which is how all the Beatles would refer to their stuggles in Hamberg, and Liverpool. I tear up just thinking that a few days after the release of the song he was killed... I' guess I'm a dork too......
I never heard that story! What I remember when that album first came out (or perhaps even before it was available in the record stores) was that it was a big deal as it was Lennon's first album in five years (the time period he described in "watching the wheels" where he dropped out of being a big star) and the radio stations wanted to play it, but the record company hadn't announce what the (first) single from the album was going to be, so the local station played maybe two or three diffferent songs from it, one was <grab your Kleenex> the sentimental ballad "Beautiful Boy."

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The music played over the end-funeral sequence in Backdraft, when the firefighters are walking in the rain. It both amps and mists me up.

Coincidentally, that music was also the theme for ... wait for it ...

Iron Chef.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... It depends on my mood. Let me open up my "When Love Sucks" music folder...

Two Joni Mitchells: "A Case of You" and "Both Sides Now"
Bruce Hornsby's "Mandolin Rain" (don't ask)
Bonnie Rait: "Can't Make You Love Me"
Fleetwood Mac: "Landslide"

Others:

Marc Cohn: "The Days"
Patty Griffin: "Florida"
Eva Cassidy's remake of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (played at our wedding)
Jackopierce: "My Time"

Gosh, I know there are more.

ETA: Townes Van Zandt: "To Live's to Fly"
Ryan Adams: "Will You Come for Me"

Last edited:

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

Nightblindness by David Gray

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
matthew

"i had an uncle named matthew, born just south of colby, kansas." it is by john denver. the lines "gold was just a windy kansas wheatfield; blue was just the summer kansas sky" always choke me up. this is not an easy place to live but when you love it, it haunts you. dwight eisenhower and gordon parks are with me and john on this one--s6

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
These four get me almost every time:

Remember When - Alan Jackson
On Your Porch - The Format
Godspeed (Sweet Dreams) - Dixie Chicks
100 Years - Five for Fighting

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Free As a Bird--Beatles, I think...maybe just credited to Paul and John.

"Whatever happened to the life that we once knew...can we really live without each other?"

In case you don't know...composed way after the split, after John Lennon died, with a recording of John's voice and added vocals from Paul.