The "I wrote today!" thread

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
It's sometimes difficult to make time for writing. Hopefully, this thread will motivate you! Each day when you find the time to write, chime in with a message detailing how long you wrote for and how many words you produced

I'm starting this thread because I'm particularly joyous about today's writing. I was only able to write for about half an hour, but during that time I produced over 1300 words!

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Morning pages

I write "morning pages" every, um, morning. I have no idea how many words it is because I literally write the words with a pen, no typing. It's 4 sides of 8 x 5.5 inch paper, and it takes me about 20-30 minutes to fill up the pages.

Interesting aside - for the first several months, my morning pages were whiney "Dear diary" type pages. Then I was inspired by another member of this forum (a guy called Ravenscroft), and my pages are now, more often than not, the first draft of personal essays.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I too was inspired by Ravenscroft, and Marilyn from my writing group, and maybe you, Rose, and maybe Betty, and I don't know exactly what Morning Pages are except that you make time to write them first thing in the morning....and I was finding that left to my own devices I am a big whiner. So. I made a little stipulation to my Morning Pages time. :Lecture: It's also my Think Positive time. Time to notice all the wonderful things I'm blessed with, the things in my life I love, all I'm proud of, the joy I find in life. I can do that for 10 or 20 minutes a day. In writing. Sure! And it can't hurt, writing-wise or life-wise. I've done it for about a week. Okay, 3 days. I'll report in tomorrow!

Thanks for starting this thread, Anders. Sure beats watching you pad your post count! :tongue

-paprikapink

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have no idea how many words it is because I literally write the words with a pen, no typing.

I do the same thing but I always type up whatever I write before I stop for the day. Sadly today wasn't a very productive day for me. I only wrote about 400 words. I guess its better than nothing?

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
paprikapink said:
I too was inspired by Ravenscroft, and Marilyn from my writing group, and maybe you, Rose, and maybe Betty, and I don't know exactly what Morning Pages are except that you make time to write them first thing in the morning....and I was finding that left to my own devices I am a big whiner. So. I made a little stipulation to my Morning Pages time. :Lecture: It's also my Think Positive time. Time to notice all the wonderful things I'm blessed with, the things in my life I love, all I'm proud of, the joy I find in life. I can do that for 10 or 20 minutes a day. In writing. Sure! And it can't hurt, writing-wise or life-wise. I've done it for about a week. Okay, 3 days. I'll report in tomorrow!

Thanks for starting this thread, Anders. Sure beats watching you pad your post count! :tongue

-paprikapink
I ONLY padded fifteen times or so ...

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sthrnwriter, you actually type up your handwritten work. I always say I'm going to, but never do, mostly because I loathe typing. Despise it! Composing at the keyboard is one thing, but actual "typing" kills me.

I've done a fair amount of academic writing, lately, and I love love love the research but dread getting my notes into the computer. Oh well, that's how it goes. Anyway, WAY TO GO on diligently getting your penned words into an electronic file.

As for what I wrote today, I did my four morning pages. Of course, it's only 9 am so I suspect I'll write a bunch of queries, too. Happy writing, everyone!

LRFarley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
Media releases

Yesterday, I wrote three different media releases, one for local newspapers, one for non-local newspapers, and one to send to book stores. While they had much the same kind of information, they were all different. Total wordcount, about 600. Today, I think I'll write addresses onto envelopes.

Bob/lrf

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
This is technically yesterday's wordcount, as yesterday ended two minutes ago. I wrote 600 words.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I've missed a few days. I think that yesterday I actually wrote nuthin' though I sat in the chair and surfed several times, thinking I was sitting down to write.

Today I did write. A bit. Two bits. That's about my word count today. Better than nothing. But not anything to crow about.

-pkpk

TwoKeys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twokeysclub.com
Well, with my wife's birthday being tomorrow, I didn't get to spend too much time writing tonight...but I was able to get two pages of spec done, for a grand total of 254 words. lol (More to come tomorrow!)

Great topic!

TwoKeys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twokeysclub.com
Thanks to the beautiful weather in the northeast, I was unable to back the truck out this morning, so I'm home today. lol I used that to my advantage and sat down for a few more minutes to crank out another 382 words. (Getting there!)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, do greeting cards count?

I have to write 10 a week for a company. I never actually count the words. It's very hard to come up with a "different" way to say the same old thing.

This morning I wrote one big long verse. If I get the words right, that matters more than the word count. Now only 9 to go! :Coffee:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because I'm particularly joyous about today's writing. I was only able to write for about half an hour, but during that time I produced over 1300 words![/QUOTE]

:flag: ...you must be a speed writer....woowoo....congrates..:Clap:

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
*groan* Sometimes I feel like a spud, reading other people's mass production counts. I feel elated if I get out 400 words at a time. However, I keep in mind that I'm running two businesses, raising two kids by myself, along with numerous writing projects. If anyone else is in my rocky hectic boat, take heart from me, in the boat, and many other people. I smiled loudly when I saw Nalo Hopkinson's blog. She recently posted about four times in one day, each time tallying her new word count, 200-500 words at a time. Take heart! There are other sporadic word producers out there. :hat:

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wrote today. But then, I write every day. It's my job. Today I wrote a short article about an employee commendation and worked on a leadership bio and something on formats for business correspondence.

Hey, I get paid to do this. (Neener, neener, neener. :) )

As for my own stuff, I DIDN'T write today. I took out my outline for my WIP and decided that it sucked and I have to rewrite it. A couple pieces, although I like them, I just don't think will work with the plot the way it's evolving.

It's progress of a sort, I guess.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for today is to write 10 new greeting card ideas. I have some previously written material floating around, but it's time for some new ideas.

Someone ask me about it later tonight (if I don't come back and say). Thanks.

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
I did it! I wrote 10 new ideas, and then 'recycled' 12 others. I mixed and matched and sent 10 to one company and 12 to another today. I feel accomplished.

On to new goals...

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I just finished the first draft of my fantasy novel today. It's the first full-length thing I've finished, so I'm *very* happy. It's at 112,017 words right now, but I want to get it down to 100,000 in editing, which probably won't start until April/May.

(I wrote over 2000 words today, but over the period I wrote the book my daily word count averaged at 1167 words)

*bounces*

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
paprikapink said:

-paprikapink

ROFL Yes, Anders, thank you for starting this thread. It's a great way to keep people motivated and checking in to let everyone know how their writing is coming along.

I'm guilty of being in the pad thread, paprika and others know that, but I do write quite a bit in between bouncing around in the Cooler. My daily goal has been to write at least 1,500 words. Most of the time I write more, but I am proud to say that I've never gone under.

Today I added 1,655 words to my WIP. Congrats! to everyone who keeps writing. :)

Joanne

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I want to send some greeting card ideas to 2 different companies. I plan on submitting some material previously rejected by other companies, but want to balance it out with some new material. So I am going to write 10 new ideas, 5 for Company #1, and 5 for Company #2.

Then if I have enough time and energy left after that, I'm going to work on my submissions to Company #3.

Will report here tomorrow when and if I complete this goal.

:)