What's your influece on the world of written fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
I think it's a general assumption that there are more people writing short fiction than there are consumers reading it (and if that's not a universally held assumption, I'd love to be corrected).

I just set up a little poll with vizu to try and get a feel for what the actual statistic might be, within the realm of people I can reach (which admittedly is skewed more towards writers of short fiction than readers of short fiction). So on that note, the more you could share the poll, I'd appreciate it. :)

http://www.gudmagazine.com/blog/archive/2007/11/13/your-influence-on-the-world-of-written-fiction/

Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
So a few things.

1) I'm glad you can choose more than one answer, since hopefully all writers are also readers.
2) I don't, however, see how I can hit "yes" or whatever after having selected my answers. How does one actually vote, as opposed to clicking on boxes and then... sitting there? ETA: I hit reload a couple times, and a "cast your vote" cutton magically showed up. So never mind.
3) Oh and, with a 21-post history, you might want to introduce yourself to give people context :D

Last edited:

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
1) I'm glad you can choose more than one answer, since hopefully all writers are also readers.

That's primarily what I aim to see. So far the numbers say otherwise.

I don't, however, see how I can hit "yes" or whatever after having selected my answers. How does one actually vote, as opposed to clicking on boxes and then... sitting there?
There should be a big "VOTE" button right under the various options.

But it may have been getting cut off due to my adding the "none of the above" option, and having some size issues... if you give the page a reload, it may work better?

Oh and, with a 21-post history, you might want to introduce yourself to give people context :D
I've been here almost as long as you! :p I'm just quieter is all. And anyone that wants to can see my posting history. ((Hello anonymous person I probably don't know who happens to be reading this who isn't Shweta... yes, Shweta and I have known each other for a very, very long time))

Would you believe imaginaries (formerly "The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Co-operative") is still limping along? :sigh:

And (other than being on GUD's site, so sort of being GUD promotion), it's relatively irrelevant who or what I am. I think it's an interesting poll. If others think it's an interesting poll, cool. I'm hoping for something on the order of a thousand responses. Up to 51 last check. ;)

And now that I've got my grumping and harrumphing out of the way, if someone's here and really does care who I am, doesn't know me, doesn't want to look at previous posts, and doesn't remember my "welcome" post from a year and a half ago... ;)

Hmm.

My name is Kaolin Fire. I write short fiction, novels, poetry, etc. I haven't been writing so much the last year and a half or so because GUD Magazine (and to an extent, web development, which is my day job) have sucked away all available time.

For a sample of my (short short) fiction, you can see "Pockmarked Cement" on Strange Horizons. For a sample of GUD, just ask. ;)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
...if you give the page a reload, it may work better?

I did, and it did.

I've been here almost as long as you! :p I'm just quieter is all. And anyone that wants to can see my posting history. ((Hello anonymous person I probably don't know who happens to be reading this who isn't Shweta... yes, Shweta and I have known each other for a very, very long time))

Trust me, y'all don't want to know.

And (other than being on GUD's site, so sort of being GUD promotion), it's relatively irrelevant who or what I am.

Not entirely true, I think -- random links offsite can be viewed suspiciously. It's probably useful to note that you're not a scary spammer.
That's all :)

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My vote is cast!

I must say, though, I am baffled somewhat at how somebody can write short fiction yet not read it. I can understand trying your darnedest to read only free fiction and thus perhaps the lower "buy short fiction" numbers, but to just not even read short fiction? Wow.

:)

-Michelle

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I cast mine too. All but none of the above. People don't write without reading, DO THEY?!

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I cast mine too. All but none of the above. People don't write without reading, DO THEY?!

You'd be surprised. I remember the first writing class I took (continuing education, so most of the students were well into adulthood), the teacher was asking what everyone liked to read and write. One woman said something like, "I don't really like to read much, but after reading my son's books, I knew I could do better."

She couldn't, by the way. She was one of the worst writers in the group.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

Unfortunately, yes. I'm amazed at how many non-readers say they'd like to write a book "someday."

I checked every box except "none of the above." Shorts and novels are such different animals, which is why I adore reading both forms.

kaolin

poemranker alumnus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erif.org
I like that. :)

I think the number of people who try to write novels and don't buy them is much smaller than the number of people who try to write short fiction and don't buy it. I think a large part of that is novels have huge marketing behind them, and for some reason short fiction publishers... do not.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I think there's an illusion that writing short fiction is like writing novels, but... easier, cause it's shorter. So people try writing short fiction as novel trainer wheels?

I would be intrigued as to whether there are more people selling short fiction than reading it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You'd be surprised. I remember the first writing class I took (continuing education, so most of the students were well into adulthood), the teacher was asking what everyone liked to read and write. One woman said something like, "I don't really like to read much, but after reading my son's books, I knew I could do better."

She couldn't, by the way. She was one of the worst writers in the group.

So it's true what they say...PEOPLE ARE STUPID. That would be like flying a plane without taking lessons. Okay...maybe not so deadly, but a different kind of deadly. WRITERS READ. There is no other logical way. But I know...people do think they don't have to read...it's so bizarre to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.