• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Amanda Jain and Naomi Davis recently joined BookEnds from Inklings.

The agency has a new Twitter account with lots of information about what their individual agents are looking for: https://twitter.com/bookendslit

Jessica Faust is looking for diverse psychological suspense, Naomi Davis wants quirky romance and light sci-fi, and Amanda Jain is always looking for historical (general, non-fiction, romance, mystery etc).

Definitely Twitter-stalk them if you're planning to query!

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
I signed with Naomi Davis. It’s early, but I really can’t recommend her enough. She’s an amazing human being, personable and professional, very communicative, genuinely enthused about the work, and brilliant at brainstorming. Her edit letter is detailed, organized, and motivating. I emailed three of her clients as well, before signing, and they’re all lovely people who had only fantastic things to say about her representation. BookEnds’s contract was straightforward, and the agency definitely feels like a “team.”

We got my book out on sub within a couple weeks, and received a large handful of requests from editors on day one at big houses. Naomi may be newer but she has great connections/relationships and has been an awesome champion for the book.

Anyone thinking of querying, check out her Twitter for detailed MSWL.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I also queried Naomi Davis, with a spec fic / contemporary fantasy. She's currently got a full and has been reading it (emailed me some questions, chatted a bit on Twitter.) We'll see if it works out but either way I thought I'd throw out there that she's definitely interested in fantasy, too, not just scifi. I think one of her first sales was a fantasy series, too.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Just got an email regarding a query I'd sent to Beth Campbell: "I am getting in touch today because Beth Campbell has left BookEnds and agenting. To ensure that every author receives a response I am closing out the query you sent to Beth and urge you to consider requerying another agent at BookEnds."

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this agency has the “a no from one agent is a no from the whole agency” policy? I looked everywhere and couldn’t find any information on that.

I've queried a second one there after my initial query from one got a rejection and there was no "how dare you requery another of us" email. For what it's worth, in a couple other places, when I've gotten a rejection, it's listed all the agents, or the rejection listed the actual name of the agency in the signature, so I take those to definitely be "no one/no all" places. It was just as sad of a surprise as it sounds.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
On their FAQ they state this in response to the question "is a no from one a no from all":

No. You are welcome to query multiple agents at BookEnds, just never at the same time. If you are torn between querying two or more agents and are rejected by the one you ultimately chose, feel free to go ahead and query the other.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Wanted to note that an infamous Twitter troll is spreading rumors that Bookends agents "charged" me for services as an author. This is wildly untrue and I'm very annoyed to have been used in someone's absurd hate-fantasy.

For any authors looking at Bookends, they are not remotely dodgy and don't charge anything lol.

https://twitter.com/Blind_Nycteris/status/1171034581404913665

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having a blast with Bookends over the years. I've been lucky enough to get 4 full requests from 3 agents. 2 from Naomi. All of them resulted in rejections but the comments were a joy to receive. Naomi's rooting for me, lol. She tells me that she keeps wanting to see more work so it's a ton of encouragement. They have a query system, which is nice because it seems like when an agency is on the system, they respond. I've always gotten a response. And I've always gotten a response on a full. And they represent so many wonderful books out there. I think if anyone could land an agent here, should be over the moon excited.

Yeah, I'm going to keep trying this place. lol As long as I have a new novel to query, why not? The place is top on my list.

Reactions: MaeZe

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I've been having a blast with Bookends over the years. I've been lucky enough to get 4 full requests from 3 agents. 2 from Naomi. All of them resulted in rejections but the comments were a joy to receive. Naomi's rooting for me, lol. She tells me that she keeps wanting to see more work so it's a ton of encouragement. They have a query system, which is nice because it seems like when an agency is on the system, they respond. I've always gotten a response. And I've always gotten a response on a full. And they represent so many wonderful books out there. I think if anyone could land an agent here, should be over the moon excited.

Yeah, I'm going to keep trying this place. lol As long as I have a new novel to query, why not? The place is top on my list.

Keep querying Naomi. She's my agent and is a delight. She's smart, agile, and is the Queen of Encouragement. If she told you she wants to see future works from you, she means it. Sometimes the first book doesn't get you an agent (mine didn't!), but keep at it. Perseverance pays off in this industry. Good luck!

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
In case anyone doesn't know, BookEnds has a fabulous YouTube channel with LOADS of content on the publishing industry, querying tips, advice for writers, etc., and they post regularly. I just found it this weekend and can't stop binge-watching. It has been really motivating. I highly recommend it, whether you're already agented or not!