"Gravity" production in Los Angeles

Ben1050

Hello all. I will be directing and producing an original one-act play this summer in Los Angeles called "Gravity." The thing is, it takes a lot of time and money to produce just a single one-act show, and getting people to come to just that can be difficult. Therefore, what I am trying to do is create a night of several one-act shows together that people can come out and see. I am asking for submissions from writers who have written plays that are under an hour in length to submit for consideration for the production. This must be original work and stuff that you would like to see made. It can be of any genre, but particularly looking for character-driven material in the fields of drama, suspense, or even comedy, that show developed characters and strong relationships. Also, social and or psychologically strong works are highly considered. Everything is looked at and considered, though. If I like what you have, and consider accepting it for the show, we will discuss details from there. If your work is chosen, you will have entire creative control. Keep in mind, you will be required to share some of the production costs for your show, however, given that this will be comprised of several artists coming together to produce work in the same venue, we all should come out on top, both financially and creatively.
If you have any questions, let me know. You can email me at: [email protected].
Please send submissions to:
Ben Cox
1958 Matador Way
Northridge CA 91330

Upon submission, please allow adequate time for a response. I will let you know as soon as possible if interested. Thanks.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be difficult, Ben, but most of us who write seriously would not consider paying to see our one-acts produced.

It feels a lot like self-publishing--sure, you might sell enough books (or tickets) make a profit, but with no one judging whether the book or play is worth producing, it feels like a vanity press for the stage.

Others may feel differently, of course. Since you've decided to do this for your own play, I can only wish you well.

Maryn, wishing you well (see?)

JustinoXXV

Banned
Reaction score
theatre

Theatre is a totally different world from publishing. A novelist can't seriously self publish, but a playwright can indeed produce his or her own work. I've worked in the Off Broadway scene, and many playwrights who just wanted their own to be showcased helped produce their own work.

With that said, I'm not saying anywhere here should or shouldn't apply for Ben's opportunity. But I will say that the word's of wisdom so often utterred on the novel section, "money is supposed to flow towards the writer", often don't apply in theatre. And even in film, in the indie scene a lot of screenwriters direct and produce their first films (because breaking in is that hard).

There's no one way to do things as a playwright or screenwriter. So saying that no serious writer would produce his own work onstage is a very poor statement.