Poisons pamphlet - FYI

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With the Holidays coming up, I'm always giving the same talks to friends and family about the dangers of regular human items to pets. Instead of trying to type out all the good pointers, this is a pdf file from the AVMA that I think a lot of folks would like to have.

It's handy to print out, and keep in your house for reference for the dog, cat, and bird owner :)

http://www.avma.org/communications/brochures/hazards/household_brochure.pdf

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
We must be on the same wavelength, MM. I turned in an article on this very subject a couple of days ago. :D

Thanks for posting! Think I'll make it another sticky. :)

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Yeah! The info in the link you gave mantioned one of my pet peeves. The legend that Poinsettias are deathly poisonous to pets! I am an avid gardener and I have a wonderful book on the history and facts of the Poinsettia plant. It debunks the myth...but alas, people still stay away from these gracious plants. Of course, as with ANY plant, if you consume too much you (or a pet) could throw up or even get a tummy ache. But it isn't truly toxic.

I have two huge ones in my house right now. And one of my dogs does like to chew plants on occasion. Now I get to enjoy this lovely Christmas tradition without fear.

~Thrill

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
I wonder what the honest to goodness truth is. Because, quite frankly, I don't necessarily believe these lists because many times they are just copied from outdated lists year after year come the holiday season. Like I said above, people sometimes keep believing what has always been said and don't check out the plants individually from more current info.

Anyway, it would be interesting to get current first-hand data.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Oh, I'm quite sure the AKC just copied it from somewhere without checking.

I have no problem trusting the AVMA as a reliable source. The only reason I didn't run right out and buy a poinsettia was that I realized, once I knew they weren't poisonous... I actually think they're kind of ugly.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Oh, I'm quite sure the AKC just copied it from somewhere without checking.

I have no problem trusting the AVMA as a reliable source. The only reason I didn't run right out and buy a poinsettia was that I realized, once I knew they weren't poisonous... I actually think they're kind of ugly.

Actually, I wasn't suggesting "they just copied it from somewhere", I trust writers more than that. It's just a common thought that was from way back when and sometimes people don't neccesarily check for updates.

Oh and if you think they are ugly...that's the BEST reason for not buying them!LOL!

Last edited:

HoafeGaG73

Registered
Reaction score
Poisons pamphlet FYI

are there any level 80 all/all poisons?If so any chance of buying any?Dont care if they have hate modifier or not just want the one with the most dmg for level 80Thanks

bunny hugger

Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work for the AVMA, and for what it's worth the research the scientific divisions put into those pamphlets is very thorough. The animal welfare implication, of course. But also the primary use for the pamphlets is for the veterinary members (who are the main source of support and income for the association) to pass on to their clients. Boy, do they not want anything inaccurate to slip through.

Reactions: Maryn