Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SwordOfShakespeare.com
I'm about 3/4 finished with my editing and so, have begun to think about query letters and agents/publishers. So, toward this endeavor, I checked out the Writer's Market 2008 edition. As I started reading, I couldn't help feeling that there had to be an easier way, especially with the computerization of almost all data in this more modern time. That is, shouldn't this research be a lot easier than having to read every one of the entries and/or online researching of suitable agents and publishers? I'd think I could input the genre of my ms, and pull up agents by category, thus eliminating those that do not delve into my particular specialty. I'd think I could input 'agented ms' only so as to eliminate those publishers that won't look at a query without representation. Or, a list of those that currently accept unsolicited mss, etc.

In other words, I see a lot of time weeding through and with ability to computerize, can't understand why I can't get a short list and work off that.

Maybe I'm missing the key to this, so educate me, someone!

Thanks for any help!

Michael

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think I could input 'agented ms' only so as to eliminate those publishers that won't look at a query without representation. Or, a list of those that currently accept unsolicited mss, etc.

You mean, you haven't entered those key words into a search engine yet? What are you waiting for? Type "literary agent" and "mystery" (or whatever genre you write) and "new writers" (or "unpublished writers") into a search engine, I'm sure you'll find some agents. If it's too much info for your engine to take, then subtract one topic at a time.

Better yet, sign up at Publisher's Weekly dot com and get even better info like who's sold what to whom. I'm sure even better advice is sure to follow.

Good luck.

In other words, I see a lot of time weeding through and with ability to computerize, can't understand why I can't get a short list and work off that.

Maybe I'm missing the key to this, so educate me, someone!

Thanks for any help!

Michael

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
BrokenSword;

Sure you could take a short cut and find publishers and agents online using searches but you could be missing out on that one publisher or agent that will accept you and pay good money for your story. On the other hand, starting with a short list and moving to the larger one could also give you an idea of who's looking for what. Preditors and Editors is a good place to start.

Finish your editing and polishing before sending anything out though. That is very important! Good luck and I hope you can find someone you like!

Amber

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Agentquery.com and a subscription to publishers marketplace gives you good reputable current information for whatever querying is your pleasure.
For 20$ a month for Publishers Marketplace you can see all the deals made in whatever genre you want - plus a lot of other industry information. The printed hooks alone are priceless as a guide.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
And QueryTracker.com is an extremely useful site. I hightly recommend it.

QueryTracker will allow you to search their extensive database by genre. Then when you have a list they have links so you can go to both Agentquery.com and Publisher's Marketplace and a link so you can google the agents you're researching. Just because an agent says they'll look at a genre doesn't mean they ever actually sell it or that they are the ones who handle a certain subgenre.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't query until my novel was done, though. Done done done. Left to set a few weeks and then looked at again. You only get once change when someone reads it, so make sure it is your best work when you send it out.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
There you go. Tomlin and Orion have your answer for you. The last Writer's Market I actually bought was in 2004, and mostly when I use it, it's to prop something up.

(The articles are enjoyable though)

Agentquery.com and a subscription to publishers marketplace gives you good reputable current information for whatever querying is your pleasure.
For 20$ a month for Publishers Marketplace you can see all the deals made in whatever genre you want - plus a lot of other industry information. The printed hooks alone are priceless as a guide.

And QueryTracker.com is an extremely useful site. I hightly recommend it.

QueryTracker will allow you to search their extensive database by genre. Then when you have a list they have links so you can go to both Agentquery.com and Publisher's Marketplace and a link so you can google the agents you're researching. Just because an agent says they'll look at a genre doesn't mean they ever actually sell it or that they are the ones who handle a certain subgenre.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think the last Writer's Market I bought was the 1973 version.

Anyway, in addition to agentquery.com, I'd also suggest that once you find an agent listed there that you head over to Preditors and Editors to make sure the agent you found is legit.

ETA: Just realized Amber mentioned P&E. Drat. Well, I gave the link!

David I

Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest you consult every damn scrap of information you can find, from AgentQuery to Google to PM to Writers Market to Jeff Herman's book to Rachel Vater's book. And if the agent in question attends conferences, the online conference page often has a bio that lists things you won't find elsewhere.

Why? Because you may pick up an interesting tidbit of information in one source that doesn't show in another. And if you make personal contact with an agent, these tidbits are useful for getting a conversation going.

Treat it like detective work.

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SwordOfShakespeare.com
Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. I'm aware of Preds and Eds and will consult there. I've read the threads and won't be querying before editing--I was merely expanding the horizon a bit. I have used the search engines, mainly with 'writers market' in mind, though. I can certainly follow the links as well as research a bit more.

Thanks again!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I'll throw litmatch.net into the mix. Just found it yesterday, but it looks good.

I personally am lazy. I'm going to start with the online databases and move on to more time-consuming methods only if and when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.