100% rejections for non-fiction book, but not sure why! How do I get answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious. I have a strong platform via a website with an international reach and wide interest. I'm not a professional writer, but have writing skills. I've reworked my query four times to what I think is very good. I've had 6 bites. Yet, my score is 100 to 0....in favor of the rejections. And I have no idea why!! I've asked--no response.

How does a person find out? I ponder: Is it because there are already books out on the subject? Are my writing skills not up to par? Do they think there's not a large enough market (even though there is and I present statistics)?

:Shrug:How do I find out why I keep getting rejections?

Nancy

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Nancy, what's your website traffic like? I'm wondering if you might be quoting a number that sounds big to you but just isn't big enough that it would be significant to agents.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the email rejections were vague you might try a follow up just asking for some expert hints on what you could improve.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Have you gotten someone knowledgeable, that you trust, to review and critique your query letter? Or posted it in Share Your Work for comments?

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy, what's your website traffic like? I'm wondering if you might be quoting a number that sounds big to you but just isn't big enough that it would be significant to agents.

On the website, which is just over a year old, I currently have 5000 hits daily, of which 1000 are unique. But....my topic involves strongly estimated 100 million just in the US, Canada, and developed European countries. The topic really goes beyond my website. It shocks me that I would get such across-the-board rejections when I see non-fiction books on the shelf with titles like "How to wear makeup". :ROFL: :Shrug:

Nancy

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
Have you gotten someone knowledgeable, that you trust, to review and critique your query letter? Or posted it in Share Your Work for comments?

Yes, I have. My query is now top-notch. And I give statistics of the large body of potential readers, of PhD's who would be glad to recommend my book, of the website...it's maddening and bizarre.

Nancy

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Well, with all due respect . . . something is missing from this story. With 1,000 people coming to your site every day, and a topnotch query, I don't see why you don't have more positive response either.

Without more knowledge of your query, site, subject . . . there is not much more anyone can say . . .

bookfreakguy

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had a simple answer for you. I sent my query to 25 different agents. Agent No. 25 finally took it - a very reputable agent, too. Go figure, after 24 rejections (none of which told me why, unless it was because "we're not taking on new clients at this time."). Now my agent has sent the ms to publishers and the first six have rejected it. This is my first book, so I'm happy that I've reached the point I have, but to try and figure agents/publishers out is a book in itself.

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
If the email rejections were vague you might try a follow up just asking for some expert hints on what you could improve.

I started to do that a few weeks ago....and was ignored. I even had one agent's assistant tell me she LOVED the book, and would be glad to tell me how I might "improve" it on her own time based on the agents she tried hard to convince....but never heard back from her.

Really maddening. In addition to the questions I mentioned pondering on above, I find myself also asking: is too much information on the website for free? Yet, I make it clear that there is more in the book than on the website.

Or, it there something going on in the agents' worlds or publishing business that I don't get?? WHY would a book that is unlike ANY other book that had the same topic be so roundly rejected.....and yet there seem to be so many lollipop non-fiction books on brick-and-mortar book shelves??

I don't get it and would LOVE to get SOME kind of answer. :flag:

Nancy

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
You'd probably need to share a bit more with us instead of us trying to guess. What is the topic? What was your platform other than the website? What makes you an expert on that topic other than the website? More information from you and perhaps we can find the needle in this haystack

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy, have you put your query up on SYW? Even if your query is fabulous, posting it won't hurt. Also, there's a lot of people who think they have great queries, but end up improving them dramatically due to advice on here. I'd give it a shot.

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
John, I totally understand why you would question it like that. I QUESTION IT!! HOW could I be rejected with such a strong website, a strong subject, and a different perspective that other books out there on the same subject?? There is another author out there who has written about this same subject, and she's very well-known in this particular field. BUT......my work has a different focus, even with the same subject, and is far more hands-on than her work. I find myself falling into stupefied bewilderment, wondering if agents think nothing else needs to be said...or paranoia that there is a conspiracy to keep her as THE author on the subject. :roll:It's maddening. I can only keep saying that.

Nancy

Well, with all due respect . . . something is missing from this story. With 1,000 people coming to your site every day, and a topnotch query, I don't see why you don't have more positive response either.

Without more knowledge of your query, site, subject . . . there is not much more anyone can say . . .

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the agents/publishers don't think they can sell it. Is there only the one other book on the subject? How is it selling? Are there books on similar topics that are selling well? If you can convince them it's a profitable product and that you are both qualified to and capable of writing the book, then you'll be able to sell the idea. Is it possible that they don't think there's a commercial market for it?

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
You'd probably need to share a bit more with us instead of us trying to guess. What is the topic? What was your platform other than the website? What makes you an expert on that topic other than the website? More information from you and perhaps we can find the needle in this haystack

I'll tell you: I'd love to share the answers to your questions IF I could do it non-publically..i.e. not right here on a public site. I was once sarcastically criticized by a gal for feeling the need not to be public, and since I can't change how I feel about the need to be private, all that disrespect did was drive me away from writers sites for awhile.

So....if I could find some writers or even a agent or two with experience, who know what it means to be confidential, who will be as tactful as possible to someone with a tender heart, and a place to do it privately, I'm game and interested.

I'm an expert in my field; I have a premier website; I'm not a professional writer but good enough; I'm not a caustic person; and I have competition in this non-fiction field. And...I have a book waiting in the wings that I KNOW has many willing buyers...if only I could figure out WHAT IS GOING ON!

Nancy

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
It sounds like you have the same feeling of many new or aspiring writers . . . "someone is going to steal my idea!"

I don't know how to assure you that's very very unlikely.

You're not likely to find writers or agents with experience unless you first open up about what it is you want to do.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think follow up emails often get no response, but framed in a certain way (asking for help in improving to approach other people not as a 'second chance', self-deprecating) they can sometimes elicit something useful.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I think follow up emails often get no response, but framed in a certain way (asking for help in improving to approach other people not as a 'second chance', self-deprecating) they can sometimes elicit something useful.
That approach worked for me after my first round of queries got no bites. The tone I strived for was matter-of-fact, respectful, not whiney, but still somehow self-assured. I don't know if I managed that, but several agents who first rejected me did respond, and their responses were invaluable in composing my next round, which scored me an agent.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
It sounds like you have the same feeling of many new or aspiring writers . . . "someone is going to steal my idea!"

You're not likely to find writers or agents with experience unless you first open up about what it is you want to do.
I agree with John. And if you're really at the top of the heap anyway, no one can scoop you.

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score

When I mentioned my need to speak of it privately on another group, I got two handfuls of all-knowing assessments as to why I might feel that way...and why I shouldn't feel that way. But all those attempts to arm-lock me into feeling different--don't. lol And that desire not to talk about it on a public website also doesn't take away my desire for feedback, either. Perhaps I should create a private yahoo group and invite those in who are willing to confidentially help a fledgling writer in the way SHE needs it (privately) and who is totally baffled as to why a book like this would be 100% rejected.

Nancy

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Since you have 1,000 website visitors daily, why not make the pitch there? They're already aware of what you're about.

I certainly receive all manner of advice and commentary through my site, which has a similar level of traffic

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
When I mentioned my need to speak of it privately on another group, I got two handfuls of all-knowing assessments as to why I might feel that way...and why I shouldn't feel that way. But all those attempts to arm-lock me into feeling different--don't. lol And that desire not to talk about it on a public website also doesn't take away my desire for feedback, either. Perhaps I should create a private yahoo group and invite those in who are willing to confidentially help a fledgling writer in the way SHE needs it (privately) and who is totally baffled as to why a book like this would be 100% rejected.

Nancy
Perhaps, but I think you're being unfair to us. None of us are all-knowing. You asked for advice, we gave it to the extent we could; but anyone's advice would be better if he or she knew more. After all, it's the details that matter, so please don't fault us for asking for those crucial details.

nancyadams

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I think you're being unfair to us. None of us are all-knowing. You asked for advice, we gave it to the extent we could; but anyone's advice would be better if he or she knew more. After all, it's the details that matter, so please don't fault us for asking for those crucial details.

Umm...ColoradoGuy, there has been no fault-finding from this end as to everyone asking crucial details. Read the above again. Crucial details are apparently needed. What I've been saying is that where crucial details are needed, I in turn need to refrain on a public site, but would be more than willing to discuss privately.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.