self publishing for fun

svecica

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alacademyweb.org
Can you help me understand how this works, please? Can I get away with "self-publishing" my nano once it's what I like...say on lulu or similar, with no isbn...or does that totally negate my ability to market it and ever have it actually published down the line. I'd really like to have my cake and eat it too, though I have a feeling I won't be able to. lol The idea being to have an actual book copy for myself and the few friends/family that would think it was really cool, too.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking if you don't tell anyone other than those (very few!) to whom you give copies (and did I do the who/whom thing right?), no agent or publisher ever has to know. And when you're finally published and your book becomes a best-seller, these rare "private" copies will become uber-collectible, and your friends could sell their copies on eBay for house payments. And by then I'd think it wouldn't matter if the agent/publisher found out. Couldn't you just call them "beta reader copies" or something "legit" sounding like that?:)

But despite my post count I'm not a published author or other Industry Expert, so just ignore what I say...

I'm not familiar enough with lulu to know all its features - when you upload your book, can you make it "private" so no one can find it without you telling them the secret URL and/or password? I'd think they'd have this feature for books intended only for a specific audience.

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
Hi svecica,

I don't know as much as other board members about the process of being published, but my father self-published several books (nonfiction) and I can tell you that marketing them was a lot of work for a venture that he eventually only broke even on.

He did have one of his books picked up by a small, niche publisher which has turned a profit for him and is far less trouble. By self-publishing, he had to act not only as an artist but as a businessman, which in turn took time out of his other writing projects. So I guess it depends on what kind of person you are and what your goals for your book are. Good luck either way, and happy NaNoing!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Hey, there!

You CAN use Lulu.com for your project and keep it private - there is a function that allows you to be the only one who can access the file and print copies for your own use. It won't show up on the catalogue and thus no one can get a copy other than either yourself or who you allow access to your account.

*However*, I would be thinking about what you want to do with this book first. If you want to send it out to publishers, do *not* send them a bound and printed copy. They'll want to see the unbound, paper version. As well, depending on how much circulation your book has had they may consider it to be "published" and pass on it - it all depends on what you want for the future of the story.

DO NOT fall prey to some scam outfit like PublishAmerica who will offer to "publish you for free" and then try to sell you back your own copies.

If you want to pursue a legitimate publishing contract for the book then keep it safe, keep it close and don't print it out. Save it to a DVD and then start polishing it for sale.

Good luck and see you at NaNoWriMo!

:)

svecica

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alacademyweb.org
thank you so much for the input, guys....and for all the different perspectives to think about! =)

Whether I have the business savvy to market my own book or not, I have no intention of doing so. That's just too much extra work! lol I don't have the extra time or energy to take on a major task like that. Just the writing part of writing is more than enough for me, already. =D

I think what I will do, though, is print a few bound copies for my siblings and mother and self, and keep it out of the catalog. Print them myself and not even open the option of anyone purchasing them. That wouldn't be much different than printing off copies for them (which would happen anyway)...just prettier. ;) The 4-5 total copies that end up being printed that way shouldn't be enough to worry a publisher.

Last edited: