• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

B.J. Robbins Literary Agency

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with BJ Robbins of Robbins Literary? What have your experiences been? Thanks!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
She sat on a few agent panels at the Squaw Valley Writers Conference last year. She seemed to know her stuff. I queried her earlier this year and she requested a partial, but I didn't hear back in time and ended up going with another agent. She reps James D. Houston, among others and has quite a few deals listed on Publishers Marketplace.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Spiny. Good to hear she sounds kind.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
I've talked to her at conferences. Nice, smart. But doesn't like Ann Patchett's novel Bel Canto, which I find puzzling. But I find her very easy to talk with.

Here's her biographical notes from the upcoming SDSU conference (http://www.ces.sdsu.edu/writers/) :

B.J. Robbins is a literary agent who opened her Los Angeles-based agency in 1992 after a long career in book publishing in New York, both in publicity at Simon & Schuster and then as a senior editor at Harcourt. Her agency represents non-genre fiction, both literary and commercial, and general nonfiction, with a particular interest in memoir, biography, narrative history, pop culture, sports, travel/adventure, medicine, and health. Her clients include J. Maarten Troost (The Sex Lives of Cannibals and Getting Stoned with Savages), Craig Ferguson (Between the Bridge and the River), James D. Houston (Snow Mountain Passage and Bird of Another Heaven), Tim Madigan (I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers), Eduardo Santiago (Tomorrow They Will Kiss), Los Angeles Times columnist Chris Erskine (Man of the House), and Wendy Werris (An Alphabetical Life: Living it Up in the Business of Books). A member of AAR and PEN USA West, she has taught publishing programs at UCLA, UC Irvine, and at the Squaw Valley Community of Writers Fiction Workshop. She will conduct consultation appointments.

beachbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Got a quick kind rejection from Lindsey Morrone of this agency.

Garmani

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a request for a partial from her last night, so I'll see how it goes.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How long did it take you guys to hear back from a query? I sent one a while ago and haven't heard yet.

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
How long did it take you guys to hear back from a query? I sent one a while ago and haven't heard yet.

I submitted a query a year ago that I'm still waiting on. Others I've received responses within one-two months. I think the "average" is like six months.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Got the following rejection:

I'm sorry to say that Lindsey Morrone is no longer with the agency and we are not taking on any children's projects at this time. --BJ Robbins Literary Agency

Anyone know where she went? Thanks for any info!

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
Received a form rejection from BJ three weeks after sending a snail mail query.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from BJ within 24 hours of querying her via email. She seems very professional and friendly. I'll update the thread with the outcome and wait time.

sbgloss

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a full with BJ Robbins right now. She replied to my email query in less than 24 hours asking for the full MS.

Last edited:

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
It has been a long time since anyone has posted here. Has anyone had any contact with Ms. Robbins lately? I am sending her an email query for my historical fiction. Will post back when/if I get a response, though it sounds like she is a no-response = no agent.
Bryan

Received an auto response within minutes:

Thank you for contacting us.

We have received your query and will consider it carefully, but please
know that we will only respond to those projects we wish to pursue.

Sincerely,
BJ Robbins Literary Agency

Last edited:

DeniseDewriter

Whose Name Is Writ in Chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her in September of last year, and received a very nice note back a day later, complimenting me on my "excellent query letter" and requesting a full. I sent it and we communicated again in December, after I attended a conference and had acquisition editors from two of the big publishing houses request pages. She responded to that email immediately as well, and asked for the names of the editors, which I provided. Then nothing. Nudged. Nothing. Nudged again. Still nothing. I am flummoxed. I was really impressed with her responsiveness and professionalism, and she seemed like a really nice person besides. Was very excited about the possibility of having her represent me and my work. The complete break in communication is mystifying.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Met Ms. Robbins at a conference over the weekend. To my surprise, she requested a full. I liked her energy. And that she's worked as a publicist. She was easy to talk to. Not holding my breath but glad to have a request...