• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

veingloree

Ellora's Cave seem like a nice small publisher, e-books and some paperbacks. They aren't listed in eds&preds, I just wondered if anyone had info about them.

thorgunna

Re: Ellora's Cave

Well, somehow...Ellora's Cave hit the big time last year. Over 2 million dollars in sales. The company was featured on the cover of Romantic Times magazine a few months ago. They seem to be a solid company with a bright future in the publication of "romantica."

Peg

James D Macdonald

Ellora's Cave was the first e-book publisher to be listed by RWA as a RITA eligible publisher.

<a href="http://www.rwanational.org/pub_links.cfm" target="_new">www.rwanational.org/pub_links.cfm</a>

A RITA-eligible publisher is defined as a non-subsidy, non-vanity publisher that has released books on a regular basis via national distribution for a minimum of one year and has sold a minimum of 1,500 hardcover/trade paperback copies or 5,000 copies of any other format of a single fiction book or a novella or collection of novellas in book form.

DaveKuzminski

Actually, they are listed. However, the sites P&E are hosted upon had some difficulties in the last few months, thankfully not both at the same time. As well, P&E also had to replace its computer. That might have something to do with why some pages do not show some listings that I know were posted. Regardless, P&E is dutifully checking all of its pages against the master copy on its computer to assure that those are all up to date. We've found two pages so far that were missing data and have corrected those.

SRHowen

Eloras Cave

Dave, or anyone else, do you know if Elora's Cave pays an advance?

Shawn

ncq13

Re: Eloras Cave

They are the only Ebook publisher that the RWA recognizes, they have over 50,000 hits on their website a day, and have a decent royalty. PLUS, rumor has it they are putting their books in paperback and have a decent distribution. I do not see mention of an advance, nor have I heard of one, however, their royalties are monthly.

(I have been looking into pitching my latest to them)

AnneMarble

PLUS, rumor has it they are putting their books in paperback and have a decent distribution.

My local Borders has started carrying Ellora's Cave paperbacks. They stock them in the romance section, along with the other trade paperbacks. (Right now, most of the erotic romances are published in trade paperback anyway, including those by the major houses.) They had quite a few of them, both anthologies and novels/novellas. (Authors include Jaid Black and Lora Leigh.) The shorter books were priced around $12.49, the longer ones (such as the anthologies) were priced around $15.00.

I don't know if this will catch on. The Ellora's Cave covers don't measure up to the covers from, say, Kensington's Brava line. (The Ellora's Cave covers often look fine on a web page but not as good on a large format book.) Also, people are generally hesitant about spending $12.49 for a thin trade paperback by an author they've never heard of. Then again, who knows? Some of the big publishers are putting out short erotic romance trade paperbacks by unknown authors, and maybe they're getting sales.

veingloree

Ellora's cave have great stuff. Like many e-publishers their illustrators are not exactly up to the standard of their writers... I wonder why?

SRHowen

well,

They did make a deal with Walden Books and Borders. They do POD, and from what I can find their authors get paid very well, and get paid monthly. I just couldn't find anything about an advance--so was wondering what people knew of one.

Thanks,

Shawn

Kate Nepveu

I was in Borders a few weeks ago, and they had *lots* of Ellora's Cave trade paperbacks on their shelves.

I was looking for something specific, so didn't browse them, but I remembered this thread and thought I'd add a data point.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
About July, 04, their website said they were considering mainstream fiction and non-fiction. I sent a query and a chapter, which they acknowledged, but never heard more. Now almost a year later, I see they have taken out the line on their site about expanding. It is still romantica, with required erotica in plain language. Certainly promising in the POD future, perhaps the most; look what sex did for the lowly desktop computer. Good luck, Kree

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In the end I tried a couple of the more minor epublishers and final placed my novella with Loose-Id where it is doing very nicely. I am also working on a website to help people compare the many e-publishers of erotic romance. Still in the early stages but you can find it here: http://www.veinglory.com/p.html

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Kree, they told me to submit my novel, "New Frontier" to their mainstream line (probably because it took 10,000 words before the actualy intercourse started....) and then I waited for about 8 months before I got impatient, withdrew submission, and sent it to Liquid Silver....who made me an offer a mere 3 months after submission.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
That's great, Pepper!

I hope your NEW FRONTIER does well. Thanks for the update. I'm still struggling, but have that nagging feeling that all agents have just left for their 6-months summer vacation. I will look up Liquid Silver, but I may not qualify as I don't even mention sex till 100,000 words. But when I do.......WOW!
Kree.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Ellora's Cave

I read on their site that they want rights for the entire term of the copy right. I don't think that is a good thing.

Jennifer Robins

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
How embarrassing. You just showed the world again that three years ago I couldn't even spell the name of the top erotic romance epublisher. Someone lend me a rock to crawl under. ;)

Deleted member 42

How embarrassing. You just showed the world again that three years ago I couldn't even spell the name of the top erotic romance epublisher. Someone lend me a rock to crawl under. ;)

Looks fine to me ... :D

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You've come a long way, baby. :D *flees for life*

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Everyon keeps mentioning that contracts are made to negotiate. Has anyone actually negotiated EC down from their all lifetime high horse? Who hasn't and late had an issue with it? How did EC make it this far with such a clause?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have this only informally, but the word is sometimes they negotiate and sometimes they don't. I'd be more than happy to give it the old college try if I ever get around to writing something suitable for them. Lifetime rights don't bother me much given that the work remains available and I would have no other plans for it. I would look at the clause relating to right of refusal on future works under the same contract.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Is it just me, or have I seen publishers shredded on this forum for lesser sins than lifetime copyright?

Just asking.