• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

QueryTracker

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I actually did have a subscription with QueryTracker for several years, but I'm letting it lapse this year, as I got an agent a few months ago.

I would say that I found it useful. I had used it for quite a few years on a mix of adult SFF and middel grade novels for querying. The ability to have multiple projects going simultaneously, and getting the statistical information like genres an individual agent responded to most were pretty good for me, in addition to the free functions of just recording and sorting your queries. I'd faithfully subscribed to it for years, so I hadn't realized how many functions were gated behind the paywall now, but apparently it's not quite as generous with agent stat/data in the free version as it once was.

I'd say if you've only got one project, and you're not a big fan of supplemental data like agent preferences, response times, that kind of thing, then the free version is probably still good for just keeping your queries organized. But if you've got multiple projects going, and like to have a lot of information available to narrow down your choices, then subscription is the way to go. I definitely had no regrets about subscribing to it for the past few years.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I love it and have had a subscription for a few years now.

Maybe it's just my disorganized nature, but I wouldn't query without it. I also find the comments by other queriers regarding agent response times, request rates, rejection style, and the like to be very helpful.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I keep track of my queries in an Excel file, so I don't use it for that, but it's nice for seeing average/min/max response times for agents. That information is limited if you don't subscribe, though. There used to be more you could do without a subscription, but I was surprised last year when I finally started querying something and found QT was more restricted than it used to be.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used it (with subscription) until I got an agent. The difference in functionality makes the subscription worthwhile, and it's easy to cancel the sub once you no longer need it. Would definitely recommend.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's been years since I used querytracker, but I had a subscription when I did and I found it incredibly helpful.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've only used the free version, but it was useful along with my own detailed spreadsheet. I've stopped querying, as the series I'm working on now 1) has a publisher and 2) can't be agented in any meaningful way. In a couple more years, if I get back into the agent hunt with another project, I'll probably get a QT subscription.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Should I use Querytracker?

I really need to step up my querying game. So far my efforts have been fairly scattershot and spaced out, and I thought maybe Querytracker might be the way to change that.

The site's front page does boast of almost 3000 success stories, but I'm fairly certain the failure stories are raaather more numerous.

I can't really think of any specific thing to ask here; I guess I just want to know if it really is an effective tool for someone like myself, who has no real grasp of the publishing industry.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
I used the genre filtered agent directory as my To Be Queried list for a long time, until I ran out of agents. Then I used the new additions list.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
QueryTracker is an awesome resource. But it's not comprehensive (as no single source *can* be). I use QueryTracker along with the WD Guide to Literary Agents, word of mouth, and of course, good old google.

I keep a spreadsheet so I can track things in my own way, but QT is absolutely useful and worthwhile.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used QueryTracker and found it highly effective. I suggest getting the paid sub, though. Has way more functionality. It's easy to cancel as well. Just un-tick the "auto-renew" box on your profile.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I used QueryTracker while I was still querying, and a few AWers here who now have representation, and can be found in the success stories list, also did so.

The free version is enough to get you started on one book to submit, and help you find agents within your genre, as well as keep organized about which queries are coming in and out, and which have already been responded to. So as a pure management software tool, it gets the job done. But if you splurge for the premium account, which is $20 per year, you can create files for more than one book and, more importantly, you get a ton of access to agent/submission data.

The real value of the premium account is that QT has been collecting, compiling and processing the submission data that users feed into it. So you can see, for example, from a fantasy agent, how many books were submitted, how many partial requests were made, how many full requests were made, and how many offers of representation were made. You can even see which genres the agent most frequently asked for more materials from, and you can even see how long it takes that agent to respond. For people that want as much "agent behavior data" as possible, QT's premium account is invaluable for getting a better grasp on what an agent is looking for, and how they tend to respond, or not. But if you just want something to keep your managed and organized, the free version will do just fine.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've also used the free version--initially to make my genre-specific spreadsheet (which I augment with other sources) and also more recently to sort through agents at an agency.

Let's say I'm debating querying Agent A and Agent B at Agency X. The agent wish lists and bios (on the agency site) might nudge me toward A. Then let's say I go to query tracker, and go to reports, genre... and discover that A has a 0% request rate in my genre while B has a 10% request rate in my genre.

At that point I scratch off agent A, tweak my letter, and query agent B.

The comments are also helpful. There's an agent out there who requires you to watch three youtube videos to find the 'code word' before querying. I first went to query tracker to get the scoop on this, because it seemed odd, and under 'comments' are all sorts of comments about the way this agent operates (I crossed said agent off list.) It was useful. You also get a sense if a rejection letter is form or not, based on the rejections other users post.

I do not pay for querytracker--I use the free version. I bet if I paid for it, I'd find additional fun things to do with it, but at the moment, even free, it's a good 'word on the street' place to learn from others who have queried the agents I'm looking at.

Last edited:

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I just signed up for the premium version...

Don't do it!
I've spent the entire morning looking at reports instead of editing. :roll:

Seriously though, it appears to be worth the $25.00 for the year if you can swing it.