How many have read NP?NP! - the 'official' NaNo book?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I heard about NaNo in 2005, however I never signed up for it. I did this year, and am looking forward to it.

Is it common for everyone to do an outline prior to the start?

:hi:

I suppose, I guess outlining ahd worldbuilding and character building gives you something to do that works toward the goal and you're not supposed to actually start writing any text included in your novel until the month starts.

I don't outline any of my flash fiction, but I have the feeling a novel is going to be a little different...

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
What is this NaNo of which you speak?

I've only heard references to it around AW; never knew what it was. No Plot? No Problem! Sounds interesting...

But is 50k in a month really possible given that I have precisely 30 minutes per day to write?

(thinking out loud, so to speak) Let's see...an hour every 2 days...that gives me 15 hours...I can sometimes eek out 3k per hour...gives me 45k. DAMN! I really could do it! I'd just need to squeeze in another hour or two.

So tell me of this NaNo...

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, welcome (muahahaha, we have you now!). :)

50k in a month is perfectly feasible, but if you only have half an hour a day to write, you're going to have to make some scheduling decisions for November. I'm reading the No Plot? No Problem! book now, and it has a section that helps you figure out how to make time for writing and not alienate yourself to everyone you know, lose your job, or go insane. It's a fun book, and it's getting me all fired up. Come on, November! Er, wait, I still don't have a plot. So what? Come on, November!

Seriously, though, I recommend looking over the official website for NaNo. It'll answer your questions, and you can sign up while you're there.

Join us. Join us.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to read it if someone will send me a one million dollar Amazon gift certificate.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so my husband desperately wants to write, but he has even less time than I do. We were planning on doing a collaboration (both of our ideas, mostly my writing, some of his writing when he had time). This way, his (extreme) creative drive could finally have an outlet that could be publishable in the forseeable future.

Would it be cheating for us to NaNo together? This sounds like an awesome way to get a rough draft done.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
Technically, yes, it's considered cheating. But there are no NaNo police to come beat down your door if you break the rules. I think if collaboration works for you and NaNo will motivate you, then sign up!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I haven't read NP?NP! yet. I feel so old now because I did NaNo in 2001. I can't even remember how I heard about it. All I remember is that I learned that I could write 1700 words in an hour if I didn't think too hard. Ah, those were the days.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm....maybe if I participate but freely admit to being a cheat? I couldn't claim to have "won", but I could use the deadline?

From the looks of it, they wouldn't mind.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I've signed up. If anyone has an issue with my husband and I working together, then we'll just shoot for 100,000 words instead of 50,000. :)

Looks like fun!

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I think I'm going to buy this from a book store near my work today. Will it help me get my plot in order? This is what I really need right now.

As for first finding out about nano, I couldn't quite remember, so I went back and looked at the blog archives of the blog I was writing at the time and it said:

Ok, people such as shutuped and The Scribe have expressed there interest in this event and so I signed up. Basically everyone attempts to write 50,000 words in November, should be good, and it'll get me started writing my novel. Can't wait for November 1 now, when I start. Except for the fact that I have a drama exam in the afternoon, and a Modern History exam the next day.

shutuped and The Scribe were other bloggers (still good friends with Scribe) and I must've seen it mentioned on their blogs because I don't remember being a member of any major writing forums at the time.