Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Don't know why yet, but the forums go down for a few minutes here and there, and I get 100 error reports all in a row. Rest assured that I know and am badgering the hosting company to find out why. You don't need to write to me to ask what's up. I don't know.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yep

It does. I just meant I don't know why it goes down. It's not because there are too many users at once... the first time it went down, there were only about 3 of us online testing the forum. It seems to go down randomly a couple of times a day for a few minutes. Not a big deal. But I did get a few panicked e-mails in between all the automatic error reports. ;)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hey, three

You don't mind if I call you Three, right? ;) Just two more posts and you're a Super Member!

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I know... I'm choosing my words carefully for my next post. And yes, you can call me three. In fact since you're the boss I guess you can call me pretty much anything you like.
anxious.gif

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I cannot believe your restraint

Are you writing a speech?

ONE post! You are ONE post away from being a pioneer!

Deleted member 42

about those error reports . . .

A
JennaGlatzer said:
Don't know why yet, but the forums go down for a few minutes here and there, and I get 100 error reports all in a row. Rest assured that I know and am badgering the hosting company to find out why. You don't need to write to me to ask what's up. I don't know.

I don't suppose the error reports say anything useful?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Nope

They all say something like this:

Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
mysql error:

mysql error number: 0

Date: Sunday 13th of February 2005 07:25:59 PM
Script: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/
Referer: http://www.absolutewrite.com

So we know it's a MySQL error, but no idea why. Asked our hosting company and vBulletin, and neither gave any answers.

Deleted member 42

JennaGlatzer said:
They all say something like this:

Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
mysql error:

That means that the MySQLl server can't handle the number of requests it's getting; you're probably on a shared server, with your own database and tables, but sharing mysql. The server is saying "hold your horses! I'm busy here" and denying access temporarily for a fraction of a second, probably, to the VB code.

This is of course a heavily anthropomorphized explanation, and would make a database engineer sick <g> If you don't get a satisfactory explanation from your ISP, I know some people who, quite literally wrote the book on MySQL. I can ask around.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
So we know it's a MySQL error, but no idea why.

Those pesky abbreviations! Translation: "My squirrel isn't running fast enough to power the server."

I'm not complaining. ezboard goes down all the time because its hamsters are really slow.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
bless your heart.....i was one that went almost into tears.....when i couldn't get on earlier......sniff....sniff....

felt like my whole world...etc....etc.....(i need a life....)

:partyguy: :partyguy: :partyguy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~wendy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Aha

Lisa, that makes sense. I was confused because it doesn't seem to go down when WE're at our highest traffic-- it first went down when there were only 3 of us on the boards-- but if we're on a shared server, then maybe it's going down when the OTHER sites have high traffic. I just asked my partner to follow up with the hosting company to see what they can do.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
When I could not get on last night I cried..... and I tried many times..... It is good to know that it was not my fault.... you see I do not like computers... and I thought I had done somehting wrong.... but nooooooooooo it was the putter guy, ladie thingie.... whew....
:Hammer:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Grrrr

Yup, we were down again, for a while this time.

Am bugging my partner relentlessly, who is, in turn, bugging the hosting company.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Famous last words

OK, my partner was working with our hosting company again today to try to figure out the MySQL problem. They added backup servers yesterday and the site still went down this morning. With any luck, maybe they've solved the problem today. Keep your fingers crossed. (Type badly.)

Deleted member 42

Jenna

There's this thing called file locking, which in anthropomorphic terms (the technically qualified folk are about to start laughing themselves into stiches) means that you've got a routine, a character, so to speak, in the current program, that needs a file or record in a database, and so it locks it, so no one else can use it while that routine is working with it. This is actually a Good Thing.

Now sometimes things go wrong; like a routine fails to unlock the file or record when it's done.

You might ask if the problems have anything to do with file locking. They'll probably say no, immediately, but the question will linger in the back of their minds, and they might take a look.

File locking issues can be a problem with MySQL.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes??

SOMETIMES????

I've lost about a dozen posts today and am beginning to take it very personally!!

AAAAAAARRRRGGGH!!!

:Headbang: :Hammer: :Headbang: :Hammer:

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guess I'm lucky my time on the internet is usually so limited. Haven't run into this problem yet. Keeping fingers crossed (typing horribly), knocked on wood (my head worked fine thank you), rubbed the lucky rabbit's foot (well lucky for me, unlucky for the rabbit) and sent a wish to the computer gods.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
The board was flickering for me this morning. It would come back on after a few seconds. When I try to post a reply and get the error page, I hit "Back" to return to the reply page. My reply is still in the typing window. I wait briefly and hit "Submit Reply" again. Chances are it'll work the second time. If it doesn't work after two or three tries, and my reply is a long one that I wouldn't want to reconstruct, I go back again and copy it and save it somewhere (specifically, in an e-mail to myself, because I don't usually use this computer for word processing), to copy again and post later.

On this Mac, there are two ways to return to the previous page: "Back" and the Delete key. I use the Back button for the purpose described above because Delete will sometimes reload the page, in which case the typing window will be empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.