Is Money a key to Happiness?

4indianwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Don't tax your health over making more money, as it's not bound to give you the desired happiness your heart is yearning for.
If a man working so hard (e.g 16 or 18 hrs out of 24 hrs) then he has no time left for personal relationships and leisure.
People don't experience wealth unless they compare it with others, and once they satisfy one set of their aspirations, the other emerges.
THE respectable Members of the Forum !
Do you also feel same ? Share your thoughts....

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great question, 4indianwoman, I think money isn't necessarily the key to happiness, though it is the key to having a more secure feeling. When you don't have money issues to worry about, you can concentrate more on things that are meaningful and what you want to do, not what you have to do.

PS There's also a saying, "If money doesn't buy happiness, you don't know where to shop!" :D

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Oh No! I misread the thread title as "Is a Monkey a key to happiness?" In which case I'd wonder. I've never had a monkey. Would my life be better if I were to include monkeys in my daily routine? Should I invest in monkeys, or, at least monkey business?

Now I'll be in a quandry all day.

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a tidbit. When you think of your future, at any age, think of having a job as thus:
J-O-B= Just over broke!

A job is something you don't like, you work TOO hard at (and get no where).
Shoot for the career.
At any age, at any class level (I.e. rich, poor, middle class) there are means to have a career.

Money can buy happiness. Even though that happiness is short lived, it IS still happiness.
In the long run, money can fulfill your WANT for happiness, think Psychological Happiness and objects.

It can't fulfill your NEED for happiness, think Emotional Happiness. That only comes from emotional events like family, love, etc.

So to say money CAN'T buy your happiness is not entirely a true statement.
For example: The trip to Disney Land you bought DID make you happy, but the event emotionally made you happier.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Money is the key to happiness, the question is - which door to open?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
In the immortal words of Weird Al Yankovic, "Money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help to rent it."

Mysti

Aurora, CO is my new home!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
I don't believe that money is the key to happiness, however, having stability in a monetary world does provide more outlets available to have happy experiences.

For a family barely scraping by, possibly needing state assistance, there aren't many free events for their family to enjoy and the option to purchase certain products for entertainment is limited. However, if you have a middle class family that is able to save a couple hundred dollars a month while allotting for entertainment expenses can have a much more pleasant experience. They can take the opportunity to see a concert, go to a festival, plan vacations, etc.

So while no, I don't believe that chasing the all-mighty dollar is a key to happiness, having financial security certainly can have its benefits.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Umm...this doesn't really belong in this forum. Hang onto your keyboards whilst I transport you all to Office Party.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tax your health over making more money, as it's not bound to give you the desired happiness your heart is yearning for.
If a man working so hard (e.g 16 or 18 hrs out of 24 hrs) then he has no time left for personal relationships and leisure.
It depends on what you're doing. Working for an employer that much is less likely to be satisfying, but if you're running your own business or working independently in a profession of your choosing (such as, say, writing), you may well be doing exactly what your heart is yearning for.
Here's a tidbit. When you think of your future, at any age, think of having a job as thus:
J-O-B= Just over broke!
Where did that come from? It sounds like something they say in Amway or some other MLM cult.
That's redefining the word in a negative context, when often it doesn't mean that at all.
Money is the key to happiness, the question is - which door to open?
"My whole world lies waiting behind Door Number Three." (from an early minor hit song by then-regional singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett - I recall he played it in a 30-second spot on an Atlanta TV station promoting the show "Let's Make A Deal.")

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Money might not be the key to happiness, but I'm betting it's at least the doorbell.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
No but being poor isn't the key to happiness either. I can attest to that.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm in the "money makes life easier" camp.

I think money has nothing to do with happiness, or if it does it's a very small part of it. Family, friends, loved ones, a sense of contentment and self worth... all those go a long way towards happiness.

totidem_verbis

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, money gives you options.

Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy despite circumstances. If you're not happy, seek happiness.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Everyone says money can't buy happiness. I don't know about that, but it sure can buy financial security which goes a long way to happiness.

To paraphrase Lou Reed, money may not buy happiness, but it'll buy a Rolls-Royce so you can drive around and look for happiness.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't believe that money can buy happiness, but money can buy time.

If I won the lottery, that's the only thing I'm absolutely sure I'd purchase. Bye-bye day job! (And yes, that WOULD make me happy!)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone says money can't buy happiness. I don't know about that, but it sure can buy financial security which goes a long way to happiness.

To paraphrase Lou Reed, money may not buy happiness, but it'll buy a Rolls-Royce so you can drive around and look for happiness.

I don't believe that money can buy happiness, but money can buy time.

If I won the lottery, that's the only thing I'm absolutely sure I'd purchase. Bye-bye day job! (And yes, that WOULD make me happy!)

Winning the lottery appears to be an evil thing for many people. I recall a horrifying statistic that the majority of winners file bankruptcy within ten years.

Here's a winner who knew how to handle the money, but still, what it did to him socially isn't pretty:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/09/13/lottery.nightmare.ap/index.html

There's a new(ish) book out about lotteries and "the gaming industry" written by an industry insider who has known many lottery winners, and he tells what happened to their lives. I forget the title, but I was reading through it at Barnes & Noble the other day.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
There is a show out that tells all these horror stories as well. I watched it about a month ago but like everything else Comcast continues to air it over and over in the hope that you'll buy On Demand. Anyway....I'd like to have the chance to screw up winning the lottery. It would be nice to not be one paycheck away from the street for a while.

I've been saving to have a tooth pulled for almost a year. I think I could get used to just being able to go get it done if I needed to. When I get through with that I get to save for another year or two to get my teeth cleaned.

It would be nice to be able to just go to the dentist or buy something to wear or take my child on vacation.

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
J-O-B= Just over broke!

Shoot for the career.

I agree and wanted to add one more...
Job,
Career,
Calling... a calling is what you have always dreamed of doing, and you are really good at it.

Beyond retirement and medical coverage, if you take a look at how much spendable income there is at the end of each month, most people would be in the same ballpark. Those with lots of money buy more expensive things, have higher monthly payments, and pay for a lot of extras. (I have friends who are perfect examples!)

When it comes to material wealth...for me, less is more. I feel too cluttered if I have a lot of clothes, nicknack's and other such things!

But true happiness is found in life experiences. Yesterday, hubby, kids and I went running through a beautiful park next to a river. It was drizzling and we didn't care. It was so much fun to watch our little ones giggling and trying to catch the rain on their tongues! (And that was free!)

Last edited: