How doI improve my story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.guardianoftheseventhrealm.com
My story is finished, I've sent in letters awaiting responses, but until then how do I improve my story? I'm asking because there's parts in it that people have read and given different opinons. For instance my wife thinks that at certain parts I use the words "but" and "and" too much while she loves others parts. But another has no problem with the "but" "and" parts but thinks the parts my wife loves are silly, lol. There's different opinons, so what do I do for now? Could I find an editor to help me? And where do I do that?

I'm no professional writer, I'm just some guy writing because I find it fun to create fantasy stories. My writing I'm sure does have too many unessecary words, probaly the order of sentences could be better, etc., but i don't know how to do it because as of now I'm pleased with it. Which is why I'd like an editor to read it and help me to make it better. But how do I find one?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Why have you sent out queries if you don't think your story is in its best form yet?

It's a good thing to go through an editing process -- whether you do it yourself or use some outside help. There are editing services but they don't come cheap. Or you can try to ask a friend who doesn't mind doing editing for you.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King, and also Revision by something-something Kaplan (I can never remember his name. David Michael? Michael David? John Michael? Gah).

If you're satisfied with the overall story, and don't have any gaping plot holes or undeveloped characters, then you need to sit down and give yourself a good old line-edit. The terms you've pointed out above (and and but) makes me think you've written a lot of compound sentences. Just look at them, see if you have too many, see if it would improve the flow to split some of them up.

I don't know what to tell you about the silly parts. I suggest a good fantasy beta-reader. If you give a romance to a horror reader, they're going to find it silly. If you give a fantasy to a literary reader, they're going to find it silly.

You could also look into a in-person crit group in your area. Good luck!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm no professional writer, I'm just some guy writing because I find it fun to create fantasy stories.

Welcome to the club. That's all any of us were (and some of us still are) until we make that first sale.

Until then just read and reread your story. The more familiar you become with it, the more you'll see where it clunks and where is purrs.

If you think it has too many buts or ands, do a search and see how to rewrite those sentences. That's what I did. I have a big ole but problem, but the search feature is our friend.

But as Maestro asked, why did you send out queries if it wasn't done?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Siddow. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers is a good book. After you polish it a little more, you could try the Share Your Work board or post that you are in need of a beta reader.

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why have you sent out queries if you don't think your story is in its best form yet?

It's a good thing to go through an editing process -- whether you do it yourself or use some outside help. There are editing services but they don't come cheap. Or you can try to ask a friend who doesn't mind doing editing for you.

Oh no I've gone over it many times. I've gotten rid of things, paragraphs, even a chapter that I didn't think fit. I feel I have it as best as I can, so I sent it out. I'm just thinking now that I'm sure I could make it better.

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome to the club. That's all any of us were (and some of us still are) until we make that first sale.

Until then just read and reread your story. The more familiar you become with it, the more you'll see where it clunks and where is purrs.

If you think it has too many buts or ands, do a search and see how to rewrite those sentences. That's what I did. I have a big ole but problem, but the search feature is our friend.

But as Maestro asked, why did you send out queries if it wasn't done?

lol, :), it is done, I'm just being a worry wart I guess, and I always think I could make it better, that's all. Thanks for the help though.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
You need some unbiased feedback. You can hire a professional editor (google editing services, you'll find a bunch). But it's cheaper to join a local writers group, or a critique group. Have someone read the first few chapters. If the manuscript has problems, they'll appear early and often. Just the fact that you're asking means you probably know it needs work. If it doesn't feel right when you read it aloud, go back and work on it. You're probably closer than you think.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
lol, :), it is done, I'm just being a worry wart I guess, and I always think I could make it better, that's all. Thanks for the help though.

Oh, then you're just like me. I finished my novel back in February and yet I've continually improved it over the last few months even while I've been subbing it to agents.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
my concern is the 'certain parts' bit. if that means that your narration isn't consistent, it could probably be worked on. i find that i'll sometimes get in a kind of rut and over-use certain words, usually when i've taken a break and just picked it back up. a big deal? i guess it depends on how obvious it. the reader probably won't notice. were these 'and' and 'but's done in a particular writing session?

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You need some unbiased feedback. You can hire a professional editor (google editing services, you'll find a bunch). But it's cheaper to join a local writers group, or a critique group. Have someone read the first few chapters. If the manuscript has problems, they'll appear early and often. Just the fact that you're asking means you probably know it needs work. If it doesn't feel right when you read it aloud, go back and work on it. You're probably closer than you think.

I have OCD and it effects me in everything :)

enchantedfire5

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I find that the "buts" (it sounds funny saying that) appear alot in fight scenes. See there's alot of fighting in my story, one on one fighting, something I have to work on. But I'm probaly going to write the first chapter in the SYW thread, I just hope they're gentle with me :)

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, post it in SYW and have us rip it apart? I mean, um, critique it?

Seriously, the best writing instruction I've ever received has been from writers more talented than I am giving me excellent feedback. Sure, I used my books and got it into the best shape I could before hand, but I learn by seeing and doing, and it was much more helpful for somebody to actually point out the stuff I could cut and SHOW me how less is more, how to vary my sentence structure, etc.

Reading aloud helps also.

I have 3 chapters of a highly polished piece out with a best-selling novelist at the moment. ::biting nails:: But the feedback I get from that I hope will take me to the next level with my writing.

Harvest

Registered
Reaction score
I highly recommend Don't Murder Your Mystery by Chris Roerden, even if you don't write mystery.

A new one (Don't Murder Your Manuscript) is coming out next year, but the same techniques and concepts will be discussed with multiple genre examples. Why wait a year if you can enjoy something now? (Just apply what the book says...the genre doesn't matter).

Also, Don Maass' Writing the Breakout Novel (book and workbook) are great to help you go through your manuscript and make sure you are making it as tight as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.