Reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
What's the reputation thing with the scales? What is the purpose?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It really has two purposes: helping members figure out who to listen to, and helping mods figure out if certain members are causing trouble.

Once your own reputation is at 20 (everyone starts at 10), you can start giving and taking points to/from others. So, if you really like someone's posts, or you respect his/her advice, etc., you can add points to that person's reputation. That helps newbies realize that this is someone to trust.

On the other hand, if you think a member is giving out bad advice, is being cruel or snotty or dishonest, etc., you can "disapprove," thus taking away reputation points.

Mods have double the power when it comes to giving and taking points, and for every 100 days or 1000 posts a member is here, he/she gets more power, too.

The mods will take those reputation points into consideration if they're considering warning or banning anyone, and I'll take them into consideration if I'm considering "promoting" anyone.

I may also give extra priviledges to members with good reputation scores as time goes on. Have to see how well we all use this feature.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Reputations

I've attracted two reputation votes already – found them in my "User CP" –and I haven't been here for a full day yet. One had a message, a positive one, and the other had no message, so it could have been a vote for me or against me.

They're anonymous. That's a little creepy.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
good or bad

when you recieve positive rep. you get the green bars, neg. is red, that's how you know rather or not they are for or against you. Also, the grey means that the user that gave it to you didn't have enough rep. of his own to affect yours much.

Last edited:

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Cool feature! Not quite the popularity contest I thought it might be.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Jump: so i guess my baton twrilling and "world peace" speech is out?....nice to know content is better then a contest........

love ya alllll.......wendy...;) ...(i think i just like to play with the little smiley faces......they are such a trip.

:Jaw: ........thanks again....

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Reph

I gave you the one with no message Reph--still figuring out how to do everything!
Cate

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I've been watching the rep comments

...all day. Didn't realize they came out anonymous. I could have been one of your drive-by rep-givers.

Anyway. Thus far, only one person has been given a negative reputation comment. (Not you, Reph.) All the others are positive.

I changed the paramaters a little, too--

All members now have the ability to award or take away one rep point from other members. You can't keep hitting the same person over and over, though-- you have to give rep to at least 10 people before you can hit the same person again.

Admins (Charlie and me) can give/take away 10 rep points at a time.

Mods-- I haven't figured it out yet. I'm trying to make it so mods have double the rep-giving power, but haven't found the option.

All members gain in rep-giving power over time, posts, and as their own reps increase.

As the rules stand now, you gain an extra point of power every time you post 1000 times, are here 100 days, or get 100 rep points of your own. (So your rep-giving powers go to 2 points at a time instead of 1 point.)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
If you don't want to be anonymous

when you give rep, just sign your comment. I just started doing that. So now my comments say stuff like, "Excellent advice about rain gear. --Jenna."

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Rep levels

User is infamous around these parts

User isn't playing nicely with others

User has shown some questionable behavior

User is an unknown quantity at this point

User is on a distinguished road

User is well-respected

User has a spectacular aura

User is a jewel

User is a glorious beacon of light

User is a splendid one to behold

User has much to be proud of

User should run for President

User has a golden reputation

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
User has a spectacular aura

User is a jewel

User is a glorious beacon of light

User is a splendid one to behold

:ROFL: Oh good heavens....the road to enlightenment...

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
The rep points I've been given all say where they came from?

Jenna, I think the mods can give out rep points at 10 per, too. The only time it didn't jump by 10-points was when it was given by a regular member.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
New rep stuff

More tweaking.

I just changed it-- rep points are no longer anonymous. Now everyone can see who they came from.

The 10 point thing-- I was going in there and manually changing every 0 to 10 (earlier today, no one's rep-giving was counting because I had it set that people's rep-giving wouldn't count until they reached minimal posting/rep paramaters themselves). I got rid of the parameters and put back the defaults, but so far can't find an option for mods, only admins.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I've picked up 25 points already. Maybe this reputation system isn't so bad after all. :)wink wink, or however you spell it here)

Are we sure "should run for president" is a GOOD thing?

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Are we sure "should run for president" is a GOOD thing?

Yeah, maybe that should go with "User has shown some questionable behavior."

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found this thread Jana. I was just coming here to grab the URL for you. I haven't received any negative points yet (and that is not a suggestion) but reading the positive comments I've received gives me a warm fuzzy, which is nice, especially on a dreary, rainy February day.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Heh

I like the rep thing! I think it can help the newbies figure out who kinda knows what they are talking about . . . .
Cate

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Members list

If you click "Members list" on top, you can sort it by reputation, too, so you can see where you stand. Keep in mind that a lot of people are at 10, which means they haven't received any rep points yet.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about giving points to people who (in my humble judgment, of course) had proved themselves to be outstanding citizens on the old board, for the guidance of newbies, but a lot of them are already mods and don't need my wimpy 1 point each.

Can you tell I do a lot of dialogue with myself before making decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.