• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Adams Media Corp. / Crimson Romance

evesleaves

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am saddened to see these disgruntled authors, as I'm a new author with Crimson and JUST published with them. They really are super nice there—I've been in contact with the editors and can answer some of your questions. I asked about the subscription payments to authors and this is a rough draft of what they will be offering, which seems absolutely fair to me:

The Publisher shall pay the collective Author group whose titles are included in the subscription service [the same percentage they usually offer to authors] of the total subscription revenue received divided across all titles in the subscription service.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Hi - I just thought I would post an update.

I was a launch author with Crimson in June 2012. In defense of the disgruntled authors - things at Crimson were rocky for the first six to nine months. The editing process was abbreviated with unsatisfactory results for some books. Some authors were given misinformation about what efforts they should undertake for themselves in seeking reviews, etc and there was a complete lack of promotion.

For myself one of the biggest issues was the subscription service. I got wind of the service after I signed my contract and before the launch. Despite querying several times, I was unable to get a clear answer on how we were to be paid for the service (which was not mentioned in our contracts). All books were automatically included in the subscription despite the fact that the authors were not informed of this type of distribution in advance.

At this time I am pleased to say that Crimson seems to be making great progress in improving communication and author satisfaction. Current books receive additional rounds of edits and there are more promotional opportunities. Crimson actively works with Amazon to secure high profile promotions such as Kindle Daily Deals. The new managing editor sends out a weekly newsletter highlighting promotions and addressing any current concerns.

Most importantly, we now have an answer on how we are paid for subscription. Early authors were offered the opportunity to opt-out if they were not satisfied with the plan and it will be detailed in future contracts. While I am still not inspired by the subscription service, I am happier now that our method of compensation is settled and Crimson is actively promoting individual sales and not just the service.

Evesleaves - if you want to know why it doesn't inspire me, do your math. ($12.99/month per subscriber) x .30 / (200+ titles and growing) is your take per monthly subscriber. Year subscriptions are sold at a substantial discount. Because Crimson is constantly adding books, the individual author will receive a smaller and smaller share of each subscription as time goes on. Whether your book receives the most downloads or 0 downloads, you will receive the same share.

While it is up to each author to determine if those terms are acceptable, I was not happy to have my title included with no warning. Crimson did eventually respond to this complaint with the opportunity to opt-out.

So, hopefully the first months were some understandable start-up issues and Crimson will continue to improve from here.

CrimsonAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Crimson Romance still bargain basement

Every other day one author or another is getting their rights reverted well before contract termination. Hopefully authors who end their relationship with Crimson won't have their careers tarnished this short but unfortunate association.

There are still many unhappy authors, this is only the latest public posting reflecting that anger:

Anonymous said...
I am a Crimson author and I have long believed I was swindled. To be fair, the red flags were there. I just ignored them because I was desperate. I was part of their June 2012 launch. This is how it went.

1) My query letter was answered within an hour, and my entire manuscript was requested. Within a day, I was offered a contract. Again, I was desperate, but I read about them in a Writers Digest newsletter and figured they were ok.

2) The editorial process was a joke. My book was completely butchered, and most of the proofs and corrections didn't even make it to the final edit. I felt so friggin embarrassed and unprofessional. Not to mention completely unsatisfied by the unrecognizable final product.

3) All marketing was left up to me, with ABSOLUTELY NO GUIDANCE, other than to go make a bunch of social media accounts, oh and a Facebook Page. I'm all for promoting my work, but I have no background in PR or how to sell anything. Shouldering me with all that marketing responsibility just seemed like they were giving a blind toddler keys to a car.

4) I waited for over a year before I got paid. When I finally did, it was a pitiful $170. I contacted The editor to ask how many books I sold so I could do the math myself. I was told outright that there was NO WAY to know exactly how many books had been sold, but that I was averaging about 10/week. Wtf?

I am so disgusted and disappointed with mu experience at Crimson, I don't even care if get another royalty check at this point. I was desperate and got swindled. Lesson learned. I just hope I get to read about Crimson's downfall one day. That will be royalty enough for me.​

Amen, sister. Unfortunately, I'm still a CR author and I wish I could say things are getting better, but the newest books are still riddled with errors, and the new editor has been unresponsive to us 'older' authors unwilling to resubmit.

They are a bargain basement publisher unwilling to dig themselves out. Hopefully they will let me out in September when the reversion clause is triggered.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
4) I waited for over a year before I got paid. When I finally did, it was a pitiful $170. I contacted The editor to ask how many books I sold so I could do the math myself. I was told outright that there was NO WAY to know exactly how many books had been sold, but that I was averaging about 10/week. Wtf?

I'm not sure how to respond to this. My royalty check was issued on time per the terms of my contract (they pay twice a year). I don't know the situation with every author, but I'm not aware of anyone waiting over a year for a check after publication. My royalty statement details the number of books sold. I believe queries about ongoing sales between statements might receive an answer similar to the above.

As far as I am aware, almost all authors received their statements/checks in a timely manner. I am aware of a very few authors whose checks were delayed. I don't know why. From the outside it looked like some kind of an error or glitch in the mailing, not an intentional delay. As far as I know, all those issues were cleared up within a few weeks after the first checks went out. I can understand the panic some of them felt though. When your first check from a brand-new publisher doesn't arrive exactly on schedule, it isn't confidence inspiring. Again, I'll stress that I know of only a few instances when the checks didn't arrive right on time.

I'm not saying there aren't areas for improvement at Crimson but I think some of your rhetoric is over the top. I don't feel I was 'swindled'. The subscription model was the only place I thought Crimson stepped outside the bounds of my contract, and they have since rectified that. I know some authors had some real issues with the editing. The first books under the new editing system are just coming out now, so hopefully that will be another problem solved.

CrimsonAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Crimson delays payments/royalties

While you may disagree with that author's sentiment (who is not me, I'm not a debut author, I was merely quoting the latest post from a disgruntled Crimson Author), she is certainly entitled to her feelings. And yes, there are authors who are still fighting for payment.

In fact the latest little e-mail from the Executive Editor is already distancing F+W from timely payment.

From Tara Gelsomino this week:

"Just a reminder: Royalty statements will be reaching everyone by the end of September. The period closed at the end of June, and due to the large number of authors both for Crimson and our other F+W imprints, it takes a few months to get all the accounting done and statements prepared. They'll be sent via snail mail, but may also come via email as well."

So, the royalty statements may be delayed . . . again. I bank at JP Morgan Chase. Can't imagine one day getting a note that they'd taken on a bunch of new banking customers, so couldn't get the statements out on time. Nothing ever changes. I hope for prompt payment this time round.

This reminds me of the e-mail I got from Jennifer Lawler when I asked about my book's publication date. Her response went to the tune of it'll be sometime in the next few months unless we need to move it up earlier to fill the 'production schedule.' F+W/Crimson Romance appears to still have poor planning and poorer execution.

I hope this is my last post here as I'll be requesting and possibly getting my rights back after the statement comes.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I hope this is my last post here as I'll be requesting and possibly getting my rights back after the statement comes.

You know, we have lots of other sections on this board, lots of other discussions you can get into. I hope you won't just leave once you leave Crimson, but stay and get involved elsewhere (not to mention your experience with Crimson gives you perspective about other new publishers, and could be helpful to people looking at them, too).

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
In fact the latest little e-mail from the Executive Editor is already distancing F+W from timely payment.

From Tara Gelsomino this week:

"Just a reminder: Royalty statements will be reaching everyone by the end of September. The period closed at the end of June, and due to the large number of authors both for Crimson and our other F+W imprints, it takes a few months to get all the accounting done and statements prepared. They'll be sent via snail mail, but may also come via email as well."

So, the royalty statements may be delayed . . . again. I bank at JP Morgan Chase. Can't imagine one day getting a note that they'd taken on a bunch of new banking customers, so couldn't get the statements out on time. Nothing ever changes. I hope for prompt payment this time round.

Actually, this is exactly on time. The following is directly from my contract.

After publication, the Publisher will render to the Author semiannual statements, on March 31 and
September 30 of each year following the first publication of the Work, which shall show all payments due
Author for the six-month period ending on the preceding December 31 and June 30, respectively, and the
basis for the determination of royalties due. Payments due the Author as shown on the statement shall
accompany such statement.​

The royalty period ends June 30 and statements/checks are sent out by the end of September. I'm sorry. I'm not seeing the delay.

CrimsonAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: We have not yet been paid, though most received royalty statement by e-mail.

CR is claiming that checks have gone out. We will get them soon. ACH deposits had several glitches and if they can't get direct deposit to work, then they'll send out checks.

It's one hot mess on various loops and between authors. (A number of issues stem from authors not being credited so-called roll over payments for monies not paid during the last royalty period).

Fortunately, CR has reverted rights to many who have asked. Some authors have felt betrayed calling those leaving defectors.

I'm happy to report that my rights will be reverted to me. Will I ever see the $58 or so I earned in the year plus? I don't know. But if I don't, I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned.

And in good news: subscription payments have nearly doubled to approximately $1.00 per month per title.

Last edited:

Author! Author!

Registered
Reaction score
Crimson cheats authors and pays late

Crimson is at it again. It's really hard to believe that a company as large as F+W Media can't figure out how to do automatic payments. Not only that they made their first attempt 2 days after they should've already been completed and the money in authors' bank accounts.
They're going to try again. Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbya and hope they figure it out this second time. If not they'll mail everyone checks, which they also seem to have a difficult time managing. I didn't sign up for the automatic payment as I had a feeling Crimson would screw it up just like they've screwed up everything else from editing to mail merge. It's a joke.
Here I am 4 days AFTER I should've already received my check and I DON'T HAVE A CHECK. Not only that, but the statement I received is missing sales so even when I get my check it won't be for the right amount. What a surprise.
Want to know the 2 biggest red flag warnings of any publisher? Not editing the books properly and not paying authors their due royalties ON TIME. Crimson has been and continues to fail in both respects.
This imprint has only been around for a year, but they've already proven that they cannot and should not be trusted.
STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM CRIMSON ROMANCE!!!!

Author! Author!

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, this is exactly on time. The following is directly from my contract.
After publication, the Publisher will render to the Author semiannual statements, on March 31 and
September 30 of each year following the first publication of the Work, which shall show all payments due
Author for the six-month period ending on the preceding December 31 and June 30, respectively, and the
basis for the determination of royalties due. Payments due the Author as shown on the statement shall
accompany such statement.
The royalty period ends June 30 and statements/checks are sent out by the end of September. I'm sorry. I'm not seeing the delay.

Did you get a check with your statement on Sept. 30th? Because I didn't. No one did.

Some of the Crimson authors who chose to overlook the overwhelming issues with Crimson remind me of women who are in abusive relationships. They're willing to put up with being cheated on and beaten because he was their first and it's better than being single. You know what? Being published with Crimson is not better than being unpublished. It's a million times worse.
I'm betting we're going to see more and more Crimson authors waking up and coming out of the woodwork to ask for their rights back. And good luck to them.

loves_books

Registered
Reaction score
People are either defending CR like members of a cult or trashing them with a vengeance. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I'm published with CR and although I'm not happy about the experience, I'm also not horribly disappointed or marked for life. Let's go trough the complaints posted here and elsewhere. 1. Editing: I'm not happy because my book was among those first-year books that only got one round of editing. They suggested changes, I made the changes, but then the changes weren't edited and the corrections I made with the "corrections template" did not all go through. It was especially disappointing to be told my eyes would not be the only eyes going through my book that one last time, because that was an untruth. My negative reviews (and even some of my 5 star reviews) mention the typos. I know they've let a few authors fix their own typos, but it's not enough and it's unfair these books never got the editing they should have gotten. 2. Marketing: My book was chosen for a Kindle Daily Deal, though, and I'm very grateful for this. This was DEFINITELY better than publishing on my own. Does every book get to be a kindle daily deal? No. But it proves CR is serious about marketing their books. Added bonus: My other non-CR book got a boost because of the KDD. 3. Payments: Though their direct deposit was 4 days late, they kept me up to date about the reasons for the delay. I've gotten two payments so far, and have made close to $800. 4. The Subscription Book Club: I think they need to change the payment structure and I'm surprised they didn't listen to RWA about how it's currently unfair. They need to either prove this can be profitable for authors SOON or kill it off. 5. The future: I don't believe they capitalize on the Kindle Daily Deal to keep the momentum going, which is why almost every book, with the exception of 1 (that I know of), that has been a kindle daily deal rises to the top and then comes back down quickly. I do think CR is getting better, and I'm happy they have some print campaigns coming out, but they should really focus on quality editing (adding just one extra copywriting round isn't enough) and more targeted marketing for each category. I also think they need to slow their schedule down even more and focus on acquiring what readers want. 6. Rights: I find getting your rights back is a lot more flexible and doable than many other contracts out there. 7. Royalties: their royalty structure for ebooks is either more or just as generous than a few others out there. If I should ever make it big with one of my books and enough readers buy my back list, my CR ebook royalties would be more rewarding than those of my other ebook. 8. Alternatives to CR: I'm being realistic here. I don't know if my CR book would have done any better with other e publishers. Some Avon Impulse, Carina, and Entangled books (to mention quality e publishers) make it big, others don't take off at all. They get better editing, though, and their marketing is more targeted. I do wish I had submitted to them before trying CR, but CR was better for me than self-publishing. They've always been quick to respond to my concerns, everyone has been polite to me, and I made some money. Also, I think they have the resources to get it right and I think they're trying hard. Conclusion: I wouldn't rule CR out. For now, until CR proves it can compete with the quality e publishers, I'd try those proven e publishers first. If they all turn you down, I do think CR is better than self-publishing and better than other newer and unproven e publishers (unless you're great at marketing). And here's where I'll ruffle a few feathers: if your book was turned down everywhere else and CR was the first to accept it, don't expect miracles. Maybe your book just isn't marketable. And if, like me, you decided to try CR before going through a list of other, more proven publishers, then learn your lesson, but please try to keep it real. A few CR authors I know are doing well. Their books will be coming out in print and I wish them the best. Speaking the truth helps others avoid mistakes, yes, but exaggerating hurts many.

Last edited:

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
No royalties

As far as I am aware, almost all authors received their statements/checks in a timely manner. I am aware of a very few authors whose checks were delayed. I don't know why. From the outside it looked like some kind of an error or glitch in the mailing, not an intentional delay. As far as I know, all those issues were cleared up within a few weeks after the first checks went out. I can understand the panic some of them felt though. When your first check from a brand-new publisher doesn't arrive exactly on schedule, it isn't confidence inspiring. Again, I'll stress that I know of only a few instances when the checks didn't arrive right on time.

I'm not saying there aren't areas for improvement at Crimson but I think some of your rhetoric is over the top. I don't feel I was 'swindled'. The subscription model was the only place I thought Crimson stepped outside the bounds of my contract, and they have since rectified that. I know some authors had some real issues with the editing. The first books under the new editing system are just coming out now, so hopefully that will be another problem solved.

I am one of the authors with Crimson Romance. My only book with them released almost 2 yrs ago. I have gotten 1 royalty statement and have NEVER received a royalty check. So yes, you could say I am disgruntled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
I am one of the authors with Crimson Romance. My only book with them released almost 2 yrs ago. I have gotten 1 royalty statement and have NEVER received a royalty check. So yes, you could say I am disgruntled.

Hi Killarney -

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you contacted the royalties manager? He's usually able to answer questions of this sort promptly.

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Any updates or are CR still considered one to steer clear of?

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got all my missing royalty statements from Chris. I had to send a new W8 form before they would pay my royalties. I faxed it. Apparently they didn't get the fax so I took a pic of the form and emailed it. Was informed they got it. Waiting on 2 yrs worth of royalties now. As for getting my rights back: I did ask for the rights to my book back twice. Crimson chose to exercise their right to keep the book and make the effort to increase my royalties to $250 per royalty period. Has that happened? No idea, we'll see when I get a statement. They also bundled my book in with 9 others for 99cents. Well, pretty sure that isn't going to increase my royalties lol. Now they have signed some exclusive amazon deal for backlists and apparently my book has been chosen for the program. At this point the jury is out whether I will re press the issue of getting my book back. And I will hold off submitting another title until I see some results.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a R&R from Merit Press, and I've done some research and they've published some authors I know of like Kate Brauning. Their books seem to be hit or miss in terms of sales on Amazon, but some have hundreds of reviews on Goodreads so there is a good bit of traction there.

Does anyone have any direct experience with Merit Press?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
My agent has sold to Merit Press, and I have an internet-y acquaintance sort of person who has a book with them. That's literally all my knowledge, though.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
They seem legit, I must say. Their sales on Amazon are decent, and they rack up a good number of reviews on Goodreads and from the usual sources like Kirkus.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

I waited for over a year before I got paid. When I finally did, it was a pitiful $170. I contacted The editor to ask how many books I sold so I could do the math myself. I was told outright that there was NO WAY to know exactly how many books had been sold, but that I was averaging about 10/week. Wtf?

Whoa! That's bad. Ten a week she should have been making a lot more money than that. Is that what 20% of net leads to?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record, looks like Crimson dropped the subscription model by mid-'14.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Any experiences with this publisher since the S&S acquisition?