How do I find a good host for my website?

Steven_Lake

Sci-Fi Guru/Linux Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.realmsofimagination.net
I second that notion about LiquidWeb. I started hosting with them some 5 years ago and haven't looked back. In fact, it's where I recommend all of my clients to host their sites as well. The servers are always solid, the staff is great, and it's a fair price for all the stuff you get.

Saul Tanpepper

writer of spec fic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tanpepperwrites.com
For domain name: GoDaddy (quick, easy, and most hosts I've found have specific instructions for GD for directing your domain to their site).
For hosting, originally went with WebNode, but dropped it because they charge for using your own domain name. Moved my site over to Weebly, which doesn't charge. It's free for everything I need it for and quite easy to use. Some limitations, of course, but not enough to be a problem. And the html editing was simple for a non-coder like myself.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I'm using Laughing Squid and I love it. They also have good documentation and great Wordpress support. And it's really not that expensive. :D

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I'm a recently retired aerospace software and systems engineer, working most recently at NASA and Boeing. I've helped create and keep up Web sites both professionally (at Boeing) and for personal use. After a lot of research I chose WordPress.com. Here are the reasons for that.

I've been using it for three years now and have helped several friends and family to use it. So far the only expense I've had is the yearly fee to rent a domain for my sites. (You can't "buy" a domain name for more than a limited time.)

I have both a personal Web site and a professional one. The pro one is in my Sig. My personal one is http://LaerCarroll.com. Both are good examples of what a pro writer can do with their Web site.

But your Web site may look quite different. It's intended to tell the world about YOU and YOUR writing. Look at what others have done and pick what features you want and don't want. For more examples here are some WordPress sites for other SF/F writers.

http://www.theonering.net/ - J. R. R. Tolkien
http://whatever.scalzi.com/
http://www.ericflint.net/
http://robinhobb.com/
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/jerrypournelle.c/chaosmanor/
http://www.theworksoftimpowers.com/
http://www.victoriastrauss.com/
http://scottwesterfeld.com/
http://www.wenspencer.com/

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind that there's a difference between hosting and platform.

While WordPress.com does offer hosting, and it is exquisitely simple to use as a host if you want to use wordpress, it is restrictive and for many writers is not a good choice as a host. Their policies about advertising and affiliate links are an issue for some.

Those people can still use all the WordPress goodness of the software at another host. There are bunches that have one-click installs for WordPress.

What I do like, very much, about hosting a domain at WordPress is the simplicity, and their built in support for creative commons.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Lisa, good point about the restrictions of WP.com.

As you point out, if you want a full-fledged commercial site you must go to a self-hosted or commercial-hosted site.

WP.com gives you tools to migrate your free site to the new host. So some developers use WP.com to create free "first drafts" and test beds of a site that you'll eventually migrate. But meanwhile the WP.com site can generate interest in a writer's career and works.

I've chosen not to migrate because I've no need for the extra features of a full commercial site.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I've had hosting with 1&1 since their original freebie offer 8 or 9 years ago. I used to register domains with GoDaddy, but because of their penchant for confiscating 'em without notice, and generally crappy interface, a couple years back I moved all my domains to 1&1 as well. If I ever need a hosting upgrade, I'll do it with 1&1.

Been nothing but happy with 1&1. I get a lot for my money (and what I get keeps expanding over time, at no additional cost). Their "control panel" gives me complete control over my domains (I can point them wherever I want), websites, mailboxes (including forwarding and webmail), FTP, etc. Tech support is Real Humans with Real Clues, not script-monkeys or bots. And if your payment gets messed up [my Discover card sometimes barfs for no reason], they get in touch with you and wait for your payment to go thru -- unlike a lot of hosts that will confiscate your domains at the first late payment (and resell them to the highest bidder).

A couple others I can recommend because of friends' good experiences with them are Dreamhost and Lunarpages. My one friend (who knows his stuff) lives right down the way from Dreamhost and goes there to do his own maintenance at need.

One thing to beware of: if you decide you want a domain, DON'T "check to see if it's available" -- I don't know of ANY trustworthy places to do that anymore. The problem is that if you check to see if it's available but don't immediately register it, the place where you checked WILL register it, in their own name, usually within 24 hours (I'd guess there are scripts that do the job). And then if you really wanted that domain, it's liable to cost you $200 to $10,000 to buy it, rather than the $10/year or so it would have been up front. Or you can wait 2 or 3 years and see if it's abandoned, but that may never happen. "Domain squatting" costs so little that there's no disincentive for the registrars.

Also, always make sure the domain is registered in YOUR name, not in the hosting company's name (as many will do if you ask for "private" registration, where your contact details aren't available to anyone who asks). I know personally of a case where the registrar stole the client's domain that way, and then made a good business of selling his freeware off what had been his domain. (Since he was just a kid and lived in another country, he really couldn't do anything to stop them.)

SuzieRox

Registered
Reaction score
I've used GoDaddy for domains in the past with Blogger. With GoDaddy domains you get 1 free email address. Use custom name with Blogger and it costs nothing. Pretty good now that they have lots of templates.

Or do the same deal with wordpress.com and pay a small annual fee to have it directed to your own domain.

I'm learning Wordpress now and it's much much better than Blogger with all the plugins and themes but you can't beat free if you're on a budget!

I've heard that a lot of people use Weebly although I don't like the look of it myself. I think Google are now doing some free templates and hosting.

erob41

Registered
Reaction score
totally newb question

I have been thinking about buying a domain and putting up a simple website, so this thread has been helpful.

I imagine a simple website with basic information about me and links to where visitors can buy my books.

Here is my question: how would I allow them to download sample chapters of a novel, say in .pdf? Would that file take up space in the 5 gigs (or whatever) I rent for the website? Or would I have to put it on a cloud drive with a link for them to download?

Thanks in advance.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking about buying a domain and putting up a simple website, so this thread has been helpful.

I imagine a simple website with basic information about me and links to where visitors can buy my books.

Here is my question: how would I allow them to download sample chapters of a novel, say in .pdf? Would that file take up space in the 5 gigs (or whatever) I rent for the website? Or would I have to put it on a cloud drive with a link for them to download?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it would use your 5gigs, but the size of your file should be negligible- say 0.2mb at most, which means you will have to get about 25,000 downloads to use all your bandwidth.

if you're really worried Award space offers unlimited traffic for $2.99 a month, so you'll never run out.

They also have a free option that gives you 5gb a month. The only problem with the free option is that they do not allow uploads of more than 1mb and there is no email forwarding, so you can't have a contact-us box on your website. Other than that it's great.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I keep forgetting that I've already posted most of what I had to say in this thread :) Anyway, someone asked about making files available for download. There are a couple simple ways to do that:

1) Put them in an open directory that anyone can root through and download whatever they like. (I do this with some public stuff, like PC junk and my DOOM archive.)

2) Make a basic webpage with links to the files.

Either way -- look up how to use HTACCESS files to set a directory open to the world, or conversely, how to keep well-mannered bots like Google out (tho it won't stop the rude ones). Also, if your web host supports it, you may want to password-protect certain directories.

Sassy1

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but since I used to be a programmer, and still do occasional website work for friends, here's my take on the hosting/domain name thread:

I used to use/recommend Godaddy for Domain registration, but they have a nasty habit of "bait and switch" where you sign up for a super low cost (e.g., $1.99 a year for Domain Registration) then, at renewal time it goes up to $19.99. They also chargeextra for any "add-ons" such as privacy, and their "low cost add-ons" go up at renewal time as well!

They also have hosting packages, which I don't recommend, because unless you are an absolute beginner, their hosting packages/tools are way too limiting. Fine if you want a "canned" website - but you can get that anywhere for a lot cheaper and a LOT less headache than Godaddy offers!

I recommend Dreamhost for Domain registration, they have ONE price when you sign up, same price year after year for domain registration. They have only raised their cost once in the past ten years and their cost also includes privacy, no hidden costs anywhere.

For hosting, depends on what platform your website is built on. If it's Windows based or Linux based. There are several hosting companies that offer hosting for both, and offer really good deals for personal packages, it just really depends on what your needs are.

I do recommend Dreamhost ONLY if you are using .php, they don't have a windows based platform. I recommend Arvixe for Windows hosting. They have really good packages, and the cost is very low, depending on your needs. I have a friend who uses Arvixe, and swears by their customer service I'm Not "endorsing" them, but here is their URL:

http://www.arvixe.com/

For anyone looking for Domain Registration and Hosting, Good luck and have fun!

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking about starting my own website and perhaps placing my entire novel there. I noticed that many of the hosting sites don't allow adult content. Where would be the best hosting site to for a website such as mine where I would plan to free creative license without censorship?

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking about starting my own website and perhaps placing my entire novel there. I noticed that many of the hosting sites don't allow adult content. Where would be the best hosting site to for a website such as mine where I would plan to free creative license without censorship?

I would imagine that only applies to images and videos, as those use up a lot of bandwidth and tend to carry a lot of malware. I don't imagine they'd have a problem with someone posting an erotic story.