Help! Home Hair Dye Novice...

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'm standing at the sink, trying to figure out this home hair dye kit. I've had my hair colored for years, but since moving to Mexico I'm apprehensive about some of the 'salons' I've seen here. And the 'blonds'.

I picked up Garnier Nutrisse en trigo (wheat) since I've at least heard of this brand.

Any suggestions so I don't turn as orange as my walls? Will it stain my skin? Stain my clothes? I have NO females here to help me & I think my husband would only make it worse.

Oh yeah, and the directions are in español.

Muchas gracias.

Melanie

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do a test section, for the love of Dog ! Pick a glob of hair underneath, and test it. See what pretty color it turns when it's dry.

THEN do the rest of your head.

ETA: If it's puce with orange streaks, you're good to go :D

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nutrisse is one of the best out there. Do a strand test to make sure, but it almost always turns out very close to the colour on the box as long as you haven't recently used a perm or henna dye. It stops working after about 35 minutes, so it won't over-colour.

BardSkye - Nutrisse "Mango."

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Testing first sounds like a great idea. My sister once tried to go from her natural brown to blonde and ended up with green. :D

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Oh crap. I think I'll test tonight then go for the full thing tomorrow. Shall I do before & after pics? wait, I don't think I can post pics yet. drat.

Reaction score
I think you have to use the dye as soon as you mix it. I've never done a strand test. But then I'm a bit car-ay-zee! :D

Reaction score
It always says on the packet to wait 24 hours but how can you do that unless you buy another box of dye? Because you have to use the colourant straight away, y'see. As soon as you mix it.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Gotcha. I'm not seeing anything about 24 horas, but all the directions here seem to be different. I'm tempted to just throw it on without testing. who has time for that?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm standing at the sink, trying to figure out this home hair dye kit. I've had my hair colored for years, but since moving to Mexico I'm apprehensive about some of the 'salons' I've seen here. And the 'blonds'.

I picked up Garnier Nutrisse en trigo (wheat) since I've at least heard of this brand.

Any suggestions so I don't turn as orange as my walls? Will it stain my skin? Stain my clothes? I have NO females here to help me & I think my husband would only make it worse.

Oh yeah, and the directions are in español.

Muchas gracias.

Melanie

Come back to the US. It could be worse...My aunt went to Italy last week and paid $70 for a home hair coloring kit from Clairol. SEVENTY BUCKS!!!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't use gloves, I think you'll be dying your hands as well as your hair. Also, the chemicals might sting.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Come back to the US. It could be worse...My aunt went to Italy last week and paid $70 for a home hair coloring kit from Clairol. SEVENTY BUCKS!!!

I'll be back (bwah-ah-ah) for Thanksgiving but my hair can't wait that long - it's already been since May. Don't want to scare the kiddies.

This cost 48 pesos, which is about $4.80. Some benefits to this place. :)

I don't go anywhere so dyed hands wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. By anywhere, I mean I didn't leave the apartment for 4 days last week, I'm still under house arrest following a 'medical procedure.' I think my husband bought me this out of pity.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
hee hee *clears throat*

the gloves were INSIDE the directions. *smacks forehead*

I told you I've never done this before! I'll be fine now, thanks for the support.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Man, don't fear the salons! I lived overseas for years and I'm black. Do you know how hard it is to find a hairdresser that can effectively do black hair? Super hard!

You have to go in there and let them play in your hair. Take pictures, show them what you want. Don't be afraid to bring your own supplies! Be brave!

And good luck!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Good luck with the hair color. I've always been a daring one and just globbed it on, waited and prayed I ended up with hair still on my head. Look at it this way, if you don't like the color.....wait a couple of weeks and recolor again. What's the worse that could happen........your hair falls out and becomes stiff like real wheat.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
For the strand test, just mix a tiny bit together but leave the rest of it apart to use the next day. I've coloured my hair so many times I don't bother with the strand test.

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Rub vaseline around your hairline and on your ears. That way if any of the hair color gets on your skin you can wipe it off easily without staining your skin. Good luck!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oh, man. H2O2 and some water in a spray bottle (it's cheap)

Unless your hair is naturally black. Then I can't help ya. Good luck.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I've never done the strand test. Once I accidently ended up with purple hair. But that was once out of 50 times I've colored my hair.

I love coloring my own hair...I like getting the kits with the highlights along with the color, so you color and then add highlights. It's kind of fun. :)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never bothered with the strand test, either, but I wouldn't mind if it turned green. It never has. The worst that happened was I got dark ash blond when I wanted golden blond. Now it's fire-engine red (that's what the mango colour is supposed to be).

It did happen to my mom once in the sixties. Hair colour then was similar to photographic emulsion and had to be wrapped up and kept dark while it was developing. She peeked and it stopped developing. Now you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

If your normal colour is black, it might not be as blond as you want when it's done.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never bothered with the strand test, either, but I wouldn't mind if it turned green. It never has. The worst that happened was I got dark ash blond when I wanted golden blond. Now it's fire-engine red (that's what the mango colour is supposed to be).

It did happen to my mom once in the sixties. Hair colour then was similar to photographic emulsion and had to be wrapped up and kept dark while it was developing. She peeked and it stopped developing. Now you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

If your normal colour is black, it might not be as blond as you want when it's done.

You know, I had totally forgotten that. Why did you remind me? Who knew ash blonde was code for Mississippi River Mud?

I liked blue much better. (even if it did fade to aqua)

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
My natural color is ugly light brown. I was blond as a kid so I still delude myself that it's my real color. I went dark after my wedding, for a change, and HATE it! Any color will be better than I have...

My husband translated the directions for me this morning so I'll let y'all know how it goes this afternoon. :)