My Query Experiment

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I just found this thread. You've spent over a year querying? Wow. I really admire your consistent courage and determination.

BTW, what would be your projected conclusion on your success so far (based on your original hypothesis in the experiment?-sorry I'm a science student).

Thanks, Darzian! Sorry I took so long to reply. My projected conclusion is that assuming my story doesn't suck, I queried at a time when the market was too tight, regardless of how much heat level I packed into the story/query.

Since I'm unpublished, period, I don't have any credentials either. During the first six months I queried, I noticed very few debut SFR authors (count 'em: one), but suddenly I'm noticing more sales by both published and debut authors. Not tons, just a handful, but a lot more than when I began querying.

Now even if agents didn't think my query was worth squat, no one has given me any negative feedback at all. In fact, the one agent who normally doesn't even rep SF type stories had positive feedback about my characters. This doesn't mean I have the best book ever, but the response has boiled down to straight rejection, one comment about the tight market, and one pass with praise.

So that's my guess, other than the usual subjectivity factor. Believe me, though, it's hard not to think that okay, my book SUCKS and what the heck was I thinking. But now I've got some new things going on since I started querying (the bog and some good success with it) plus an exciting development which I can't go into right now, so I still have a lot of hope.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
But now I've got some new things going on since I started querying (the bog and some good success with it) plus an exciting development which I can't go into right now, so I still have a lot of hope.

Good luck with whatever this is Clara! Can't wait til you can fill us in on the details!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, has it really been that long? I guess so! I've really only been lurking at AW, but obviously not that extensively!

Thanks to those of you still checking in.

As far as the query experiment, well it's still in progress, albeit at a *much* slower rate. I've stopped querying agents (agent fatigue, mostly) and went on to query a few publishers. And by a few, I mean three.

One rejected the project at the query stage. Another hasn't responded and I don't expect them to, so no real emotional investment there on my part. And the third, well, that publisher has had the full for about six weeks, so let's just say I'm hopeful. (You'd think I'd learned my lesson and squash any hope the second it sprouts, but no...:tongue)

Since beginning this experiment, I learned a lot about the subgenre in which my story falls (science fiction romance/futuristic romance). I'm sure my high-ish word count had something to do with many of the rejections, but I also think it has to do with the SFR market having been fairly tight for the past 3-6 years (perhaps longer). The economic downturn hasn't helped, either, putting most aspiring authors of any genre in the same boat.

All that I've learned has prompted me to rethink what it is I want from a career as a published author. Livable wage income was never the goal, however I gained insight into just how much I wanted to entertain with a fun story. I really want to do it, even if it's just a book or two a year.

I also re-examined the *hows* of being published, and in what form. I'm not going to say more since I don't want to jinx anything, but if I get a yes from the publisher currently considering my manuscript, I'll be sure to revisit this point later.

One aspect of this experiment that has gone beyond my wildest dreams is my blog. In less than a year, it's taking on a life of its own and I'm really grateful to all the peope who have supported it--folks from AW, other bloggers, authors, and readers.

My hits have steadily increased from day one, and I believe I've been successful in building a viable community for SFR. Not only that, but another thrilling opportunity came my way *completely* out of the blue, and directly because of the blog. Said opportunity will further advance the work I've already begun at The Galaxy Express.

I'll be making an official announcement in a few weeks on the blog, but I'll come back here to share it as well, of course.

Bottomline is that I will continue to submit, and finish my WIP, but even if nothing comes of my manuscripts, I will continue blogging about SFR, an endeavor that has brought me enormous personal satisfaction.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
I have to tell you this is the first 8 page thread I've read from start to finish. I really have to commend you on your perseverence.

And especially, especially, looking forward to some amazingly good news.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you! :Clap:

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I have to tell you this is the first 8 page thread I've read from start to finish. I really have to commend you on your perseverence.

And especially, especially, looking forward to some amazingly good news.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you! :Clap:

Thanks for reading through it all--that means a lot. And thanks also for your kind wishes!

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Sorry that you haven't found representation yet, but I'm glad you're not giving up (And you're still ALIVE!:Hug2:)

Like you I'm also had to revaluate myself as a writer.

I've had to change my original goals, and pretty much had to take some downtime after burning out.

Sometimes I feel silly that I've felt so rejected and frustrated, even though I still haven't started shopping my work around.

The reason: Nothing I've written is ready!

Lately I feel like my edits don't make a difference anymore.

Few seem to get my stories, and the ones that do seem to find issues that either take me months/years to fix.

The weird thing is, the majority of the people who've read my work like it, even though they always have a boatload of problems with it.

If nothing's ever perfect, than why does the word exist?

If there's always room for improvement, how do you ever know when something's as good as you can make it?

Sometimes I just want to send something out and let the chips fall where they may!!!

But I always stop myself because I don't want to give the impression that I'm a lazy wannabe that didn't respect myself as a writer enough to only submit the best of what I can do. Not to mention respect the agent who takes the time to look at it, especially since most agents can get hundreds if not thousands of querys in a week.

I know this is an intuitive thing and it's different for everyone, but at this point I wonder how I'll tell.

After years edits, rewrites, and more edits, I just want to have something of quality.

Anyway, I know how you feel, rejection can really be the pits. In my case, it's from my trusted readers/fellow writers.

Well, rejection may be the wrong word in my case. I know the readers who challenge me the most can see what I'm struggling to achieve, and I know once I can finally make my work shine, they'll be as overjoyed as me.

Even though I know this, and I'm eternally grateful for it, it can be heartbreaking sometimes.

You and many other writers I've met on AW have the kind of endurance, patience, and resolve I deeply envy.

I wish you well in your future endeavors,

C.J.

P.S. Did I mention I envy your zen-like patience?:Shrug:

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Good news!

Hi again!

I'm back to share some great news, namely an opportunity that came my way as a result of my blog. And, I suppose, of this query experiment.

Several months ago, Editor Kris Alice Hohls of LoveLetter, Germany's monthly romance magazine, invited me to become a columnist! I accepted the no-brainer offer, and I will be penning a monthly column about science fiction romance.

You can read more about this collaboration as well as LoveLetter's history here. This is beyond my wildest expectations and I'm very blessed.

I am super excited about this opportunity. Not only is Kris fabulous and smart and savvy, but she's also a huge advocate for romance in what has been a challenging market for the genre. It also has great potential for authors who want to get their work in front of German editors.

Unfortunately, I can't share any of the columns because they will all be translated into German! Unless you read German, of course, then read away :tongue

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com

Congratulations!:partyguy:

I knew you'd get a foot in the door someday.

If you haven't already, treat yourself to one of your favorite foods. Forget the fat and calorie count, you desereve to indulge a little for this achievement.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Clara!

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Sooooo happy for you!! Congratulations! I'm a firm believer in perseverence and continuing to do what you believe in. Woo hoo for you!!

:Jump::e2bouncey:Jump::e2bouncey:Jump::e2bouncey

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
Wow! Congrats! That's awesome. Several months ago I read the every page of this thread, and I don't know if I commented or not, but I certainly meant to applaud your willingness to share information. So, I am very pleased to see that you have having success! You're an inspiration!