Where are you? (in your novel)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just finished with the 1st draft of Part 2 of my WIP. I was writing from a FMC pov, so I'll run it by some ladies for general tone (not grammar yet) to see how I did.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got 75K in, just about ready to start the climax and felt it was...off.

Sat down and did some plot analysis and discovered a systemic problem. In trying to figure out how to fix that (without scrapping all 75K), I realized that I'd somehow written the SECOND book in the series, not the first.

Now I'm excising the 10-15K that actually is the start of the first book and starting over. This time, I'm actually sitting down and figuring out the baseline for the entire series so this doesn't happen again.

OTOH, I've got a giant headstart on the second book....

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
Book 1. Claire is taking her love life in her own hands for the first time.

Book 2. Alison has just been to her first ball, tried 19th-century finger-foods, got a little drunk, and is now unknowingly prime suspect to a string of threatening letters to a Duke.

These WIP aren't related.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Ronaldo just used faerie magic to turn himself into a super hot guy so that he could impress Yesenia, his crush. It worked!

Now he's trying to figure out how to get her to date him, instead of the made up person he was transformed into.

Last edited:

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Masina and Devan have joined forces and are now traveling through the wastelands. After fighting off a predator and working all day and part of a night to get enough water from a deep well that somehow still has water, they come across the bodies of three Cantir tribesmen, who died fighting an unknown enemy. The battle happened months ago, and the bodies are dried out husks now, but they still show the slashing wounds that killed them.

Both are uneasy, but they have no choice now but to press forward to the Gate.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Last chapter of Act Two. The dead have risen, sort of.

Was scared to make it to Act Two as the middle's the most common point to give up apparently (I'd always given up at the beginnings XD) but now I'm faced with Act Three, I'm even more terrified. Endings are HARD.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I hit the 3/4 mark of my 1st Draft today. It's sitting at about 79K words, which is a bit leaner than usual, but I'm unconcerned. Love the story and characters, I'm having a blast.

jadeheavens

Registered
Reaction score
MC finally gets to celebrate her college Commencement a year late, after the COVID pandemic...

Almost through with my third round of edits on this WIP!

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
Just beginning the querying process for my latest, a space opera set in a circus. It is first in a projected series that I hope to traditionally publish.

Torn between beginning work on the next book in the series, or writing something totally different that has nothing to do with the series. I know conventional wisdom for approaching traditional publishing is to write something different (in case the first book in the series doesn't sell, you'll have something new to shop around) but in my heart I want to continue the series and stay in that universe for a while. I've been further developing the worldbuilding of the universe the series is set in, as a sort of compromise.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 45k words into... the first half of the first act!? :Shrug:

Yeah I'm overwriting I'm sure but I'm on a roll recently and I've decided to go wherever this train brings me. Hopefully that's we-can-cut-it-down central and not unpublishables-ville. Either way, I love where it's going so far. The secondary characters have really surprised me.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just completed the 1st draft of my next novel - woo-hoo! It came in at about 105K words - it's lean, but should edit down nicely to 100K or so.:hooray:

Staccata

Registered
Reaction score
36 pages in (but I have to go back and fix an earlier scene soon, so there's that too). Ulysses Gamble is off to meet his extended family, all of whom are vampires.

authorbradyphoenix

Registered
Reaction score
My main characters are about to head to a costume party at an LGBT pride event. Little do they know...they are being followed.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the most important scene in my WIP, which has been intimidating me for ages. Champagne pop! (It's way too long but I'll worry about that later.)

Also today, randomly started a new WIP in my notebook on the front porch with my morning cuppa. Totally spontaneous. Within an hour I had the first 500 words down and a rough outline for the MC's arc. I'm now vowing to set it aside until I finish my two main WIPs and the three or four others in various stages of drafting...

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Hit the halfway point last night! Using this weekend to outline the next quarter since a lot has changed from my original plan (I'm a blend of plotting and pantsing).

Ceris just told Lawrence how, no matter who ultimately wins the fight, the fact that a rebellion even got this far means the country will become further divided and become worse for people like her.

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on trimming down the early part of my manuscript so it gets to the main story faster. And I just figured out a way to do it that I think will work... but it requires me to heavily re-write about six chapters' worth of material, because of course it does.

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the beta reading stage for my first novel, and I'm brainstorming for a series next!

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
First chapter ... in progress (but first outline of first draft ............ of first novel DONE)!

Ever notice how it all feels so monumental in the beginning?

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score

Yes!

Contrastingly, sometimes reaching a state of completion can feel deflating rather than victorious.

Where I am: Rok-har is given reason to question his (non)-faith. Lots of beer is being consumed.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
First chapter ... in progress (but first outline of first draft ............ of first novel DONE)!

Only when you're just starting. After a while, it's just "oh look, another book..."

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished up my final edits on a 126k book this morning, now I'll start working on editing another on Monday. This Covid thing is killing my system. Normally I wouldn't edit two books back to back, but the first 10 chapters of the next one were written back before the quarantine and the rest was written in the past month so I've realized that before I get to the sequel, I need to go back and fix some continuity problems. Of course, that's going to mess me up even more!

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I'm in the second edit/rewrite portion after beta reader feedback and time to think about what it was missing.

Right now, the MC, Frank, is walking through the downtown after having had dinner with his boss and mentor. He's looking at the empty buildings in the Rustbelt town's downtown area while thinking about a woman he shouldn't be thinking about. This is where I show just how deep the damage in his character goes. He is, just like the downtown he's strolling through, a collection of could have been, used to be, and never will again.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Am starting to finally write again. I abandoned my next project (Puppet People) for a year to focus on beta-ing and editing and publishing The Door in My Hand.

I'm starting to fall in love with this story after thinking it was too cliche to be written for a long time. But am currently fighting with this one chapter because I recently deleted a side character that apparently had a lot to do in this chapter.