Where are you? (in your novel)

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
Odin has a grudge against the Christians, and slaughters a monastery to send a message.
Cuthbert Rawly is arming his Saxon army (I say army, it's like 30 people--mostly teenagers) with guns.
Princess Amren's depression hits its lowest point.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Plot outline of my next novel complete - the cats that showed up turned out to be gems. This is the last novel in the series, and it wraps up (IMO) wonderfully.

Will take a break from it to work a bit on my last book (cover design set for May 1) - this pass will be to consider and fold in editor changes.

Then I'll look through the plot outline, take a deep breath, then start writing: Chapter 1: Harvest Season.

So far, this virus related sequester is working out well for my writing.

Of course, it's also making me increasingly antisocial.

Chaoticia

Banned
Reaction score
At this point, one of the nameless lunatics that's only mentioned once somewhere between the first and last chapter.

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing again... so that is a start no matter where I am.

Right now I am working on a scene where one character is found unconscious and another is missing.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
Larkspur the elf is attempting to summon an Old God in Northern Ireland, 1945, and has just met a Catholic púca who would very much prefer that he didn't. I'm pretty sure violence is going to ensue.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just finished the first 10 chapters (1st draft) of my next book. Word count is right where I want it to be at 34K over 10 chapters. The writing is going well and I love this story.

The next 8 chapters will be from the FMC's POV - looking forward to writing it.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finalized my cover, spine, and back cover for The Door in My Hand. I love it so much!

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
My cover designer has had 'some external distractions', so my cover's been delayed - he promises it will be finished this week though. This is frustrating because the book is already loaded into kdp, I just need to cover to make the release.

In other works - I'm working on the next novel (5th (and final) of the series), and have about a third of the first draft done. The next section will be written from the FMC's pov - I've written from a FMC pov in short works with success, but remain cautious about it, because I've read too many poorly written MMC pov's by female authors, and my partner has told me of of FMC pov's written by a male that got it totally wrong. I'll probably be looking for betas to review the coming section in particular later on.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
My cover has also been delayed, although no big deal because my website redesign has also been delayed and I want the new book to be a main feature of the new site.

This book will be my first self published book and I'm starting to realise what a babe in the woods I've been in the past when it comes to marketing. Some of you people seem pretty sophisticated in that department. So I'm madly investigating indie marketing 101 while simultaneously working towards the end of the sequel to my sci-fi novel that comes out (not indie) next year.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! That must feel great.

Halfway through editing the second draft of the second novel. I rewrote the first novel dozens of times, it was a real learning curve. This one, I'm curious when it will feel done. Hopefully it won't need dozens of drafts.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Congrats! That must feel great.

Halfway through editing the second draft of the second novel. I rewrote the first novel dozens of times, it was a real learning curve. This one, I'm curious when it will feel done. Hopefully it won't need dozens of drafts.

Thanks.
Every book you write is a lesson - at the conclusion, look at your process to see what worked and what didn't, then make changes for the next book you write. Each of us have our own way, and it takes a while to discover what it is... and it seems the path is always changing.

After plotting, I write one draft, and follow that with a mind numbing number of edits. I went through nearly 20 editing passes on my earlier works, now it's down to less than 10 - progress, and I'll take it.

Good luck with your book!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you're still finding lots of lessons (as in, it's the journey, not the destination.).

Thanks for the tips, IR.

Last edited:

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
At the 15k mark and, in mine, my characters have just arrived to a new place and are about to sell some stolen goods in the market while they wait for nightfall.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Where am I? I'll tell you where I am. Version #20, the last beta response due in today--she can't possibly have anything to add, I've already corrected every imperfection, straightened every highway, agonized over every dot and tittle. I just need that last beta response in, and then....

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My ARC's arrived - looking good!

A link to a picture

I'm feeling good, and wanna do a happy dance, but I have a purring cat sleeping in my lap.

Wow, that cover is great.

Now I'm in your position, waiting for my editor. I'm getting tired of waiting, though. I only sent her a 10 page piece, but I have to remind myself that this is troubling times we are in.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I set the time for my editor to do her thing several months ahead. She had some health issues, and reduced her client list - I feel lucky to have been kept on.

Over time, we've learned to work together well - our process has evolved into something that might be slightly unique. She never sees my work until it's complete and I've gone through it 10 to 15 times, looking for plot holes, character development, description, all that stuff - and of course grammar. She uses color codes that indicate the type of work I need to do, and notes about how I could make it better. I then make more passes as we fire excerpts, comments, and questions back and forth via email (she lives on the east coast) until IMO it's as good as it will get, then I self publish.

A little weird, I guess - but it works for us.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I have just started my second draft, with lots updates to make.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I contacted my editor because it's been two weeks for ten pages, and asked her when she might be done (in the most polite way possible) and she said she'd sent it to me a week and a half ago. Computer problems are the worst. Anyway, now I'm going back and re-reading it. I'm panicking because this is the final step before I have to make a marketing plan...and then self-publish.

Where am I in my other story? Spindle and Lewis have finally made it back to the Dollhouse (the place where the aliens store the people they abduct). For Spindle's it's been a day and for Lewis it's been three years of trying to find his way back, so it's exciting for him because anything's better than being trapped in the planet's wilderness.

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
I just moved into the third act of my third draft for my novel.

My secondary MC, Gawyn, and the squad are drying off in a forest after being attacked by nixies in a river. Its time to finally have some important discussions about moving forward with the quest. My primary MC has been separated from the group.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I reached the halfway point of the 1st draft of my next novel (the last in the series). It's going well, and I'm excited.

A minor... becoming major distraction is an idea for another novel - maybe even a series. It's something that has the potential to sell, as the genre is hot right now - and as an indy I can bring it to market faster than those going the traditional publishing route. It's compelling, but I need to keep my eyes on the immediate goal.

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
It's over! Margot has survived the face-off with Professor Wilton, and Addie just saw Aunt Greta's ghost.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Reached the halfway point in my novel. Haven't been super happy with the last couple of chapters though so less elated with my progress as I thought I would be at this stage... But tomorrow's a new month and the midpoint is the hardest to write so gonna cut myself a break and refresh for this next chapter.