Where are you? (in your novel)

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Having to go back through the first two books to seek out place names, certain descriptions, etc., that were changed in later books. Very tedious. This is one of those areas where being a planner rather than a pantser makes writing so much easier. Unfortunately, I'm not a planner and don't seem able to turn myself into one.

Sigh.

If it’s any comfort I’m a planner and sometimes I need to make name changes for a whole variety of different reasons. The most common one is realising that I've got superfluous characters and then need to roll a few of them into one. Just one example, there are plenty of others. Planning doesn’t by any means mean failsafe, nor represent perfect planning.

Last edited:

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
After a bit of a hiatus (from this website and writing in general), I'm in the awkward first draft of Chapter 17 of my novel.

I wrote Chapters 1-16 as a novella (intending "the rest" to be a sequel), but decided to put the whole thing together after some soul searching. It's all incredibly terrible, I feel like I've completely forgotten how to write, but it's progress!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Doing an editing pass on WIP #1— Elena has just returned from her bus trip and doesn't know how to tell her father why she's been gone and what she's discovered.

Trying to figure out where and how to start WIP #2— Neva is currently apologizing to everyone about Rick's tumble into the birthday cake.

AthenaHolmes

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished my outline and began writing the actual novel.
Martin's admitting to John that he came from an abusive family.

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished fleshing out the map for Bait And Switch and can begin the rewrites and revisions for the second edition/reedit.

Anarchy

Registered
Reaction score
Orion has just set fire to Margo's house. Unfortunatly, Dante was with Margo, so that sucks. Peter is in a tree, wondering if this is his fault. Orion is in the tree with Peter, assuring him that it's definitely his fault.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Death 1 has just happened; death 2 is hard on its heels. Death 3 is still 5 years off, but in narrative time it won't be too long in coming, alas. Death 4 is yet another 5 years on. Wondering slightly whether I'll make it to full novel length. I'm at maybe 30k right now. It might end up on the shorter end, but then again I've thought that before and ended up at 90k words.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Two MCs are having a philosophical discussion about what causes someone to become an asshole.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just finished the first draft! It came in at 103K words and 27 chapters.

I'll take a break for a few days to do some yard work, motorcycle maintenance, and ride up to Steamboat Spring for a couple of days. Then the edits begin.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Death 1 has just happened; death 2 is hard on its heels. Death 3 is still 5 years off, but in narrative time it won't be too long in coming, alas. Death 4 is yet another 5 years on.

Holy cow, remind me not to be a character in your novel! :)

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Nowhere :) I was having some commitment issues, so I swept novels off my desk for a while to write some short stories.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
It's 1940, and Lily's patient, wife of an anthropology professor, is, at her husband's insistence, trying to breastfeed their newborn.

The hospital recently evicted mother and baby, not having the least idea about how breast feeding should go. Lily, however, having trained in a hospital built especially for immigrant Jews, does know. She learned it from patients who suspected bottled formula of being non-kosher (traif ).

Except now, Lily is "passing" as a Gentile, so she's got to tread very, very carefully.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
MC is riding through forbidden lands in the dark of night beside a monster he'd like a better look at.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. It's a true story, so it isn't my own sadistic whim! It did occur to me recently that it might be a very sad story if I'm not careful. If it helps, the deaths were spaced out over 13 years...

That DOES help! :)

It's 1940, and Lily's patient, wife of an anthropology professor, is, at her husband's insistence, trying to breastfeed their newborn.

The hospital recently evicted mother and baby, not having the least idea about how breast feeding should go. Lily, however, having trained in a hospital built especially for immigrant Jews, does know. She learned it from patients who suspected bottled formula of being non-kosher (traif ).

Except now, Lily is "passing" as a Gentile, so she's got to tread very, very carefully.

Please tell us when this is done. It sounds fascinating!

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
The anthropology professor now says his baby must be "initiated into the tribe" by being told its "lore." The mother objects that the only "lore" she knows is the time her brother swallowed a tooth. He'd been eating fried chicken and...

The family turns to Lily.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
The End (of 1)- absolutely no more editing. The End (of 2), absolutely no more editing. The End (of 3), maybe a little more editing. Halfway thru 4. A few pages into 5. A few paragraphs of 6.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Act one of Puppet People. Spindle has stopped being hesitant and becomes the hero the others need her to be.

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
The novel I had been working on is now on the back burner.

As for the new work in progress? I am on page 1.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Hard copy of Book 4 showed me many little glitches. Working through them. Grrr. I always find things on paper that I never see on the computer screen. Why is that?