Where are you? (in your novel)

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I am plotting a potential MG linked short story collection from the POVs of pets. As I was doing so I was wondering how many (in ALL of my 5 WIPs) of the POVs are human.

Out of my 12 POV characters (in all of my 5 WIPs) I have

2 Humans

1 Ghost

1 Alien

1 mermaid-like humanoid

1 robot

1 vampire

1 shift-shaper canary woman

2 cats

1 Dog

1 Ferret

What an interesting find. Since I personally know your stories and characters, it's interesting to me. Especially the lack of humans.

I got two humans and an human who learns she's actually an alien.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Waiting on cover art for Destination, Extinction 5.

Currently working on the outline for an untitled dystopian novel.

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent a recently completed, beta read, and revised manuscript to my agent and am eagerly (okay, nervously) awaiting her response. To distract myself, I've started a shiny new project. I'm only about 2,500 words in, but I've also plotted the entire story. (I actually plotted it while waiting for beta reader feedback on the last manuscript.) It's a middle grade novel.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I sent off for someone to combine my spine, front cover, and back cover. Fingers crossed it will look good.

EDIT: The person totally misunderstood, so I sent them an example of what I was looking for. I hope they will understand this time.

EDIT 2: They did it right now.

Last edited:

Maddy Knight

Banned
Reaction score
I have four going. One is 'complete', just waiting for some feedback. The other three have been kinda dormant for about a year. Just opened one of them today to get familiar with it again - like, remember where I left off - and start writing.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, you all thought this was portal fantasy, but it was actually science fiction all along!

Shit gets weird when we get inside the heads of the fair folk, but man. They ain't got nothing on the gods.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Just reached 50k on my second draft. Which is great because at this rate, I'll have a much bigger word count than my first draft.

Anyway, Kindle is on her way to see her mother and sister who she hasn't seen in four years.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for the proofreader/editor to come back with his comments on the second half of my final draft. Once that done, Kindle Self Publishing seems to be the road to go.

Tom

That's great! Congrats!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Just reached 50k on my second draft. Which is great because at this rate, I'll have a much bigger word count than my first draft.

Anyway, Kindle is on her way to see her mother and sister who she hasn't seen in four years.

That's fantastic! If your going the e-book route do you think it will be weird to put a book where the MC's name is "Kindle" on Kindle? :tongue (That's a joke, BTW. It won't actually be weird)

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting on the 2nd round of dev edits to come back, and brainstorming/outlining the first book in my next series.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
My WIP:
My MMC has a particular chant he utters before he kills someone (he's an assassin), it occurs at the very beginning of the book, and twice further in. I'm working on that today.

My last novel - in the process of being published:
Waiting on cover art - it should be in this week. Looking forward to seeing it.

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
Hit 30k on one wip, the first act of a standalone. Wrote the opening scene of a different wip, book 2 of a series. I don't normally work on more than one thing at a time, but both of these are calling.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My WIP:
My MMC has a particular chant he utters before he kills someone (he's an assassin), it occurs at the very beginning of the book, and twice further in. I'm working on that today.

My last novel - in the process of being published:
Waiting on cover art - it should be in this week. Looking forward to seeing it.

Yay for cover art! I'm excited for you! For some reason I get pumped when it comes to cover art, but I couldn't draw to save my life and that's still after two collage classes on drawing. I got my cover art in October and made it my avatar.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Just hit 72k on the final book in a series, nearing the end of the second act, it should fall right where the rest of the series is, right around 115k.

Reactions: writing17

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Rough outline of my next novel is about done.

Oddly, I'm struggling with the title. This is strange because it usually comes easily to me. This story has two main characters, and the POV will switch every other chapter (MMC POV in chapters 1,3,5... and FMC POV in chapters 2,4,6...). They're on opposite sides in a city siege - future dystopian SciFi. Currently I'm considering: Afterworld: The Reaper and the Witch. I need to get closer to the final title today.

I should start working on the blurb too -

Maybe by the weekend I'll start in on the MS first draft.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Titles usually come sort of easily to me too, indianroads. However, for my new WIP I can't seem to pick a good one. Right now I'm using "The Chosen Planet Earth". That feels weird, though, like the words don't really go well in their current order. Maybe something completely different is needed...

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
My cover artist returned the first cut. He does great work, so I only made a few changes. It's back with him now; he should have the full width paperback and the ebook cover ready within the next few days.

If interested (remember this was the first version, so changes are in the works):
for my website and FB pages

ebook cover

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
That cover looks good, indianroads!

I am waiting on my proofreader to get my manuscript back to me, and I'm messaging back and forth with a cover designer. My next series is kinda stalled until I can focus on it more.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
That cover looks good, indianroads!

I am waiting on my proofreader to get my manuscript back to me, and I'm messaging back and forth with a cover designer. My next series is kinda stalled until I can focus on it more.

Thanks! I asked for a few edits and it's back to me. I self publish on Kindle, and am in the process of the uploading the covers and novel body and the Amazon review.
With that done, I'm on to my next novel - and am working on plot version 8. Very soon I'll start in on the first written draft. (I'm booking my cover designer for next August.)

For working with my cover designer (and they're all different), I've found it helpful to submit a written description + a hand drawn idea. I also provide him with pictures that I feel give the sort of background and vibe I'm looking for. This is the fifth cover he's done for me, so we have some back and forth about what he feels will work vs. my vision - he's usually right and gets his way, BUT I was able to start him down the path toward what I wanted and so I'm usually very happy with the result.

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
I was asking them if they thought my cover ideal was possible, lol. Now I know why 'curvy girl' romances always have a shirtless guy on the cover *facepalm*