Flash Fiction Newbie

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I recently started getting into flash fiction, but there's a lot I don't know. I've been rumaging around the forums learning all I can, but I must say, it's a daunting challenge, writing a story in under 1,000 words, especially for me. I'm a bit nervous about it. I just know I'm going to write something and then people are going to read it and go, "So, what was the point of that?" It's hard coming up with a plot for so few words.

I'm just venting here, really, I did read the advice you guys gave Skyraven (great stuff, too).

Maybe I just need a little nudge to get going...

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Flash fiction is fun - and more than a little daunting at first. The trick, for me, is to tell a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end in very few words.

And, you know, none of us started knowing how this worked either. If you're nervous, just pop a note at the start of your posted piece to say it's your first piece of flash and you want to know whether you've got the hang of it or not. :)

Good luck! I'll be watching for your story!

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
And, you know, none of us started knowing how this worked either.
I actually started out know how this worked, because I read articles about writing flash fiction long before I started writing it. Didn't make it much easier though. The trick is to find a plot that can be told with just a handful of characters and in as little scenes and locations as possible to make sure it fits within the word count.

ALG71

Defanged Hellraiser
Registered
Reaction score
In a place, at a time, where I sometimes ask mysel
Hi NiennaC. I'm in the same boat, just starting to learn how to write flash fiction. So far though, I've found it to be pretty fun. I've only written a few and it's been challenging but also a little rewarding, for me at least, to write a story in so few words. It's also a nice change every now and then if you're writing longer pieces. Good luck with your flashes.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I've just started jotting down ideas. Maybe one of them'll end up working out and it'll be my first flash fiction piece! I'll be sure to post it when it's done.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
NiennaC,

Welcome. I particularly like flash fiction because I can "write" the whole story in my head during a walk over my lunch hour, or during my drive to or from work, etc. Then I jot down the idea when I get near some paper or a computer, and later refine the words. I find it rewarding and satisfying.

We're a pretty friendly bunch here, but there's a lot of good advice and encouragement flying around too. Jump in, the water's fine!

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi NiennaC,

I've only recently started with flash fiction myself, so I know what you're going through.

I really love it because it's so nice to be able to read a story on a quick break or over lunch. And I think that by reading more of it has really helped me in writing it, too.

And Cath's advice is probably the one that I have to keep in mind more than anything. It's a story, no matter how short. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. I really struggle to keep that in mind sometimes.

Anyway, good luck!