6 more days till Kindergarten!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
4qxot5f.gif

I don't know who's more excited, myself or the 5 year old actually going.

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
Ooh, my son was in kindergarten last year. As a friend noted, the first day of school is one of those iconic moments you think about when you imagine having kids in the first place. Good luck to your little one and to you!

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
My son is FREAKING out. He is literally counting down the days. He knows exactly how many sleeps until Kindergarten. So cute. By the way- he is the one currently pictured on my avatar. :)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite pictures of my now-married daughter was on her first day of kindergarten. She's standing in the living room with her Little Mermaid back pack, grinning from ear to ear.

Dang! I'm sniffling.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
My second son started kindergarten this year. Two more to go...

(and he loves it)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
We made it!!!!! He gets out in about 15 minutes, can't wait for the pick up!!!!!!

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Picked mine up this morning (early bird class). My baby is growing up...

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's had two days of kindergarten. Only problem is she seems to want to talk when she's supposed to listen.

Is it fair to expect more from them after only 2 days? When should I really become concerned?

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I'd only become concerned if there was a long period with no change. Otherwise it's just acclimatization. She was better today than yesterday, she just needs to get a handle on what's expected is all.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
My son told me he got a time out for not listening to the teacher. Yes, he's a talker too.

PS
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. *looks away and avoids all eye contact* "Who me?" :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
My son told me he got a time out for not listening to the teacher. Yes, he's a talker too.

PS
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. *looks away and avoids all eye contact* "Who me?" :)

Damn. I should have known. lol. He is a talker, a goofball, and is distracted easily by other goofballs. He's a boy, sometimes I forget.

I'm waiting for the report from Dad today, he is the one picking up and dropping off. I threatened to remove all fun things from his room if he didnt listen today. Am I over-reacting too soon?

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
He told me he has been leading the class in races around the "track" at recess time. Yeah, he's my little leader, always including all the other kids. Yup- he'll be President one day. Better start working on that squeaky clean personal life right now. Dang.

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
My son started Kinder 2 weeks ago. I had, and still am having, the tougher time adjusting.

For the 1st 4 years, I watched my son all morning and into the afternoon. Now I get to see him for an hour in the morning and take him to school. I don't see him the rest of the day until I get home and see him in bed sleeping.

I miss spending all that time with him. I'm a sad daddy. :(

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Day 1 through Day 3 went ok, as good as can get for the first few days.

Day 4 forgot his sweater.

Day 5 lost his back pack.

What oh what will Day 6 bring?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
lol. He'll get used to it. My oldest is in fifth grade and still loses jackets.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
What do you do when you aren't a fan of the teacher? I think she is overly strict with kindergarten students. I don't want my son to lose his LOVE of school. I know what a difference a wonderful teacher makes in setting them up for the rest of their school years...

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Kadea - You could schedule a talk with the teacher. He/she might be an expert in teaching (and controlling a class of kindergartners), but you are the expert on your child, and what techniques work best with him/her. If the teacher is not willing to discuss and listen to your concerns - that's a problem.

My son just went into first grade last week. He's had homework every day since day one. Is this typical? My younger son starts nursery school tomorrow. I will have 2 1/2 hours per week all to myself. I don't know if I'm more sad or excited. So bittersweet - watching your babies grow up.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
What do you do when you aren't a fan of the teacher? I think she is overly strict with kindergarten students. I don't want my son to lose his LOVE of school. I know what a difference a wonderful teacher makes in setting them up for the rest of their school years...

You know, when we first tried Preschool when my son was 3 and a half, I hated the teacher. And I'd only spent 15 minutes with her. She was way to rough sounding, had an accent, and didn't seem soft enough to deal with a young child in a very new situation.

We didn't put him in the class for other reasons.

The following year, he entered preschool and had two teachers, THE BEST I COULD HAVE ASKED FOR! One was softer than the other, but the other was just firm enough to get the message(s) across to the kids.

Now, he's in K, with only one teacher who is - from what I saw in the hour I spent in class on the first day - too soft.

Now, I have no idea how she really is, but I think personally that my son needs someone a little tougher than a sweet lil older lady.

We parents just can't win.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Kadea - You could schedule a talk with the teacher. He/she might be an expert in teaching (and controlling a class of kindergartners), but you are the expert on your child, and what techniques work best with him/her. If the teacher is not willing to discuss and listen to your concerns - that's a problem.

My son just went into first grade last week. He's had homework every day since day one. Is this typical? My younger son starts nursery school tomorrow. I will have 2 1/2 hours per week all to myself. I don't know if I'm more sad or excited. So bittersweet - watching your babies grow up.

As hard as it is to tell somebody that your child may have difficulties in a certain area, it is the best thing you can do for your child.

I had to tell the preschool (second time around) exactly how my son would react to certain personalities. Somebody too loud and rough would push him away, somebody too nice and soft wouldn't be taken seriously. Also how he'd react with certain behaviors in the other children. And it made things easier for my son.

There is nothing wrong with a child who shy's away from the terminator (what we nicknamed preschool-first-time-around's teacher).

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I will have 2 1/2 hours per week all to myself. I don't know if I'm more sad or excited.

Well, one thing's certain, I'M EXCITED AND IT'S NOT EVEN HAPPENING TO ME!

You sure as heck better get excited!