Archival Rights?

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading Coyote Wild's guidelines, and they mention they retain 6 months first plus "archival rights". Whatzat? Is it keeping the story in their archives? If so, can it be reprinted elsewhere while it's there?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Yes, basically it means they retain the right to keep your story in their archives. They also specify exclusivity for six months, which means during that time you can't sell your story to anyone else - but I believe after six months you are able to do so.

I've never tried to sell a reprint, but I believe it's standard to specify when and where the story was originally published when you submit it. Some publications ask specifically that they be mentioned as the original publisher when the story is republished.

I'm sure someone can give you a more expert answer, tho.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Yes, you can have it reprinted elsewhere, assuming that market accepts reprints (and you of course tell them beforehand). Archival rights are just as the tin says. The right to keep your work in the archives. With Peccary Magazine, I ask exclusivity for 1 month - you can't publish it elsewhere during that time. After that, I ask for permission to archive the story for at least 3 months. After that they can ask for it to be removed, but of course, I'd prefer they'd keep it there.

You might want to make sure how long they want those archival rights and if you can retract them after a certain period of time.