What are you reading?

C.Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
Currently working on Caliban's War. Leviathan Wakes was impossible to put down after I hit around the 30% mark, but I've been having a harder time with the sequel. However, I have a hard time getting through roughly 90% of the books I read, so no surprise there. It's very rare for me to find a book I can't put down. The last one was probably Red Rising, and the one before that was Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave Eggers' latest The Monk of Mokha, about a Yemeni American who decides to open the niche market in San Francisco for Yemeni coffee. It's good to see Eggers returning to what he does best: telling the stories of people with a story to tell.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Game of Thrones - A Song of Fire and Ice

At first I was enjoying it, but damn if it's not throwing off my reading goals for the year - these books are monsters and they just keep getting longer! :(

A Game of Thrones - 694 pages -Done!
A Clash of Kings - 768 pages - Done!
A Storm of Swords - 973 pages - Just started...maybe 10% into it...
A Feast for Crows - 976 pages
A Dance with Dragons - 1040 pages

The man has an impressive vocabulary, but I do not think he knows the word brevity! Can I count each of these as the equivalent of 2-3 regular books? LOL

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Volume 8 (the last) of The Betrayal Knows My Name.

I've followed this manga series from the second volume 1 got translated into English. It was angsty, overwrought, funny, clever, and had both a wounded hero and tons of paranormal elements. Everything I read manga for.

The author/artist is in chronic poor health and the time between volumes grew longer and longer. She'd post on her website about her health issues and apologize for the delay. The last gap was, literally, years long. When volume 8 appeared for pre-order it was announced as the conclusion. I was surprised, because there were SO MANY plot threads to tie up.

I got vol 8 the day it released and read it the same day. It speaks to the power of the writing and depth of the characters that I just now realized why I've been miserable, depressed, and cranky as hell for 2 days: The last volume resolved NOTHING. It added a couple of good twists that had been foreshadowed, but every single plot thread was left dangling. I was completely invested in these characters and wanted so much to see how it all turned out.

In a two-page written afterword, the author/artist hinted that she might craft a side story possibly maybe sometime in the future. If she does, I'll buy it.

But right now? I feel cheated. I respect her need to regain her health, but I would've kept waiting for more volumes to actually finish the story.

I haven't been this invested in a book since KA Stewart's Jesse James Dawson series, and I know for a fact that she's going to wind up the series satisfactorily with book 6. I won't feel cheated then.

Honestly, I'd recommend the series if this type of manga is your thing, but be warned.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem and Ian McEwan's The Comfort of Strangers.

Two of my favourite authors.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Tomi Adeyemi's Children of Blood and Bone. This book has been highly hyped, but, well, I'm underwhelmed. The setting is interesting for its African flavor, but that's all it is... a flavor. The plot structure, subject matter, and writing style are still very much in the YA fantasy style. The heroines, both of them, have good hearts but are impulsive, which are not real character flaws but mcguffins to set the plot in motion. The writing is in first person present, which IMO is done correctly only very rarely... it worked well in Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda for the voice of the narrator, but here, it's like the characters are just microphones for the author, if that makes sense. I don't get a sense of their individuality. And there's constant stomach clenching, grip tightening, fear trembling, etc. from them. Maybe it gets better, but so far it's all cookie-cutter at this point.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem

I would like to read this.

Since my last post, I have finished Helen Eustis's The Horizontal Man. It was wonderful. I see that I complained above that the prose was dense and sticky; I'd say it took me a chapter and a half to warm her Eustis's style, and from then on I was simply delighted. While it is a murder mystery, it is more than that a terrific satire of life at a scandalized midcentury women's college. I loved it.

I finished Tell Me a Riddle, also. Interesting stuff - sort of Grace Paley meets Virginia Woolf.

And, finished my reread of 1Q84, which was fine but I did not love it the second time around as I had the first time.

I started Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland's The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., which seems like it will be good clean fun. I don't have an "eyeball" book going right now (print or kindle) so I'll probably start something else soon, but the last couple of times I tried, I had a little choice paralysis.

Off-topic ETA:

The writing is in first person present, which IMO is done correctly only very rarely...
We had a whole thread a while back about first-person present, and I said that I wasn't crazy about it. I find it isn't conducive to immersion, but when I tried to articulate why, I got a lot of people poking holes in my explanation - which doesn't change the way I feel about it; at best it shows that I can't articulate a convincing reason for feeling that way. Anyway it's interesting to hear from someone else who isn't crazy about it.

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a whole thread a while back about first-person present, and I said that I wasn't crazy about it. I find it isn't conducive to immersion, but when I tried to articulate why, I got a lot of people poking holes in my explanation - which doesn't change the way I feel about it; at best it shows that I can't articulate a convincing reason for feeling that way. Anyway it's interesting to hear from someone else who isn't crazy about it

It's because it has to simulate being told TO someone, you know? So many of the YA books read like the author originally wrote a movie script, then changed every mention of the subject character from "Slowly Sally sidles along the corridor. She sees the blood. Her breath hitches, and then she gasps" to "I slowly sidle along the corridor. I see the blood. My breath hitches, and I gasp" whereas a character telling the story to another (hypothetical listener) might say, "I sort of sidled down the corrider. I stuck to wall in case the goons were watching. Then I see the blood. Buckets! My breathing hitched. I couldn't be sick now, no way."

But, back to topic: I'll be reading Twilight after another YA, just to see how it stacks up against the newer crop. I've never read Twilight.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So many of the YA books read like the author originally wrote a movie script.

Heh, I'm pretty positive about YA overall, but this is a bit of a bête noire for me. Not always a bad thing, Walter Dean Myer wrote Monster that way and it's both important and readable as hell. But something of a trend I've noticed that has given me pause. Ignore the derail...

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to read this.

I definitely recommend it. In addition, to the great writing and insight it is a great read about 60's American during the cultural revolution.

But, back to topic: I'll be reading Twilight after another YA, just to see how it stacks up against the newer crop. I've never read Twilight.

Good luck, I read 1 book 1/2 and never again. I can imagine that current YA is easily a lot better...

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I'm pretty positive about YA overall, but this is a bit of a bête noire for me. Not always a bad thing, Walter Dean Myer wrote Monster that way and it's both important and readable as hell. But something of a trend I've noticed that has given me pause. Ignore the derail...

I read an excerpt from that book. The POV technique is the same, but the writing is entirely different. The narrator injects more of himself into the speech and it's not as histrionic as CoB&B.

I think this trend started because so many of the succesful post-Twilight writers were MFAs who learned scriptwriting as part of their curriculum or had peddled scripts before.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I've got three books I'm reading atm.

A Dance with Dragons, George RR Martin (lunch break book)

The Eye of the World, Robert Jordan (bedtime book,and rereading the entire series)

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain (pooping book, for when I have to make number two)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on a binge reading gritty police procedural mysteries by Scandinavian writers. It seems to be a big thing there, and to be derived largely from the classic series of novels published in the 1970s by the Swedish wife-and-husband team of Sjöwall and Wahlöö. Three writers of this genre I highly recommend are Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland), Jo Nesbø (Norway) and the author of my current read (Faceless Killers), Henning Mankell (Sweden). All these are a high step above a lot of mystery genre fiction I've read, and deal with excellently drawn characters with lives and problems outside their immediate police work environment.

caw

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt- Beth Hoffman
A Stewart McLean collection(I sure miss him from the Vinyl Cafe on CBC)
Angel Falls-Kristen Hannah

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Current re-reading Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach in preparation for the film coming out next month.

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite books is Lord Foulgrin's Letters and it's sequel The The Ishbane Conspiracy is wonderful, too. I'm also reading Little Women again.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished:

The Throwback Special by Chris Bachelder. Every year, 22 people meet up at a fleabag hotel to re-enact the play that ended Joe Theismann's football career. That's really all there is to the story, but told well better than I expected.

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. The classic tale of a family who comes into money and must decide which dream deferred to pursue. As relevant today as it was 60 years ago.

Reading now:

The Pushcart Prize 2018: The Best of the Small Presses. Some good entries here. Rarely a weak one in the bunch, even if not all of them are stellar.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
Age of Enlightenment (Great Ages of Man)- Peter Gay
Average Jones- Samuel Hopkins Adams
The Triumph of Death- Gabriele D'Annunzio
The Sportswriter- Richard Ford

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Have I really not posted on this thread since February? Neglectful procrastinator is neglectful...

Recent Reads:
Birthright volumes 5 and 6
(Joshua Williamson, YA fantasy/graphic novel, Nook via Hoopla): Mikey Rhodes, once an ordinary boy, was irrevocably changed when he was pulled into the war-torn world of Terranos as a prophecized savior against god-king Lore and the evil Nevermind. Now a man (though only a year has passed on Earth), he has returned home - but as a fallen hero, serving the Nevermind, as he hunts down fugitive mages from Terranos. But his family refuses to give up hope of reclaiming him... family now including his winged lover, Rya, who followed Mikey home through the bond they share via his unborn child.

The series remains intense, imaginative, and interesting, not to mention dark and occasionally gory. These two volumes bring the characters together at last, so they feel more focused. The women, particularly Mikey's mother, still feel a little underplayed, but Rya's definitely not a fainting damsel in distress. In the sixth volume, which almost could've been the finale, the reader finally learns what happened in that fateful confrontation between Mikey and Lore to turn the Hero of Terranos. I do hope the series wraps up in a few more volumes, though; even with things fundamentally changed, there's only so much longer one can avoid the ultimate final confrontation.

The Adamantine Palace (Book 1 of the Memory of Flames series, Stephen Deas, fantasy, in paperback): In the nine Realms, kings and queens ride alchemically-tamed dragons as the ultimate mark of power. But should a beast ever slip its bonds, all Hell might literally break loose... and political squabblings incited by a power-hungry princess and her royal lover have just allowed that to happen. As the dragon Snow wakes fully to her mind, she finds memories of past lives, memories that drive her to vengeance against the alchemists, dragon-priests, and royalty who have enslaved her kin for far too long...

I never thought I'd give a one and a half star rating to a dragon book (outside of Don Callander's painfully boring Dragon Companion), but I did here. Why? I hated the entire cast... even, sadly, the dragon, though at least I sort of understood where she was coming from before she became just as repellant as every other POV character. It also feels like the story fell out of a time machine from the not-so-golden age of the genre: the whole cast is whiter than white (even Snow, a pure white dragon) except for the black/Asian stand-ins, the sly evil wizards from beyond the sea who covet dragons for themselves; women are defined by their use of sex to gain power, with the one woman who isn't doing so painted as an immature fool; men are selfish backstabbers whose brains are never located higher than their belt line; and not a single entity in the book even approaches the room temperature, let alone warm end of the emotional spectrum. As a result, I couldn't care less about their world or their stories. About all I liked, kind of, was Deas's take on dragons, creatures of fire and scale and fury yet with a certain cleverness and loyalty that can be earned. TBH, by the halfway point I was only reading so I could write a review to warn others.

Currently Reading:
The Girl In Between (Book 1 of the Girl In Between series, Laekan Zea Kemp, YA fantasy/romance, Nook via Overdrive): Teen girl Bryn suffers from Klein-Levin syndrome, prone to fits of days- or weeks-long slumber that has thus far resisted treatment. Though KLS sufferers aren't supposed to dream, she always has, visiting a place stitched together from childhood memories.... a place where she used to be alone. But one day she finds a strange boy on a remembered seashore... a boy who lingers in her memory-world even when she leaves. Is this, as she fears, a symptom of her condition worsening, or is it a sign that her sleep and dreams are something she doesn't understand?

So far, not a bad story, moving decently and with some surreal imagery in the dream/memory world. Bryn's a decent enough teen girl MC to follow, and so far it's reading fast.

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World (Andrea Wulf, nonfiction, on Kindle): The story of the science prodigy Alexander von Humboldt, who revolutionized views of nature and ecology, introducing many concepts that still define our understanding of the world - and sounding alarm bells about human damage to the environment and the climate that would prove sadly prescient.

So far, it's an interesting enough read about someone we should've learned more about, but didn't... yet another oversight of the American public education system. (Seem to find more and more of those the further I get from school years...) Humboldt's holistic view stood in opposition to the common naturalist habit of the time to compartmentalize and categorize everything to within an inch of its life, challenging too the notion that nature was at its best when "tamed" by Man.

In physical reads, my hand is still hovering indecisively over my large TBR pile. Part of me wants to jump into Book 5 of the Expanse series, while another wants to wait on that longer volume until I clear a few shorter reads.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm contemplating my next move: either Alice McDermott's The Ninth Hour, all I know about of which is it's about nuns in New York City in the 1920s, or The Harvest by Jim Crace, all I know about of which is it's about a family in pre-industral England. I saw McDermott at a book fair last year and The Harvest came up on Bookbub and caught my attention.

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Frazier's Cold Mountain. (Yes, I know I'm a few years behind.) Also, Fforde's Lost in a Good Book (Book 2 of the Tuesday Next series). And in the on deck circle is A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I absolutely loved the Thursday Next series! One of my all time favorites.

Verboten

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished "The Alice Network" by Kate Quinn and am a little over halfway through "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Pearl Thief, by Elizabeth Wein. I loved Code Name Verity so much I had to see what else Wein had written.

Damn that woman can write. I'm almost to the end. I gobsmacked by the way she can describe people and the scene in a different era (takes place just before WWII, nothing about the war though). Lot's of ethnic dialect if anyone is interested in seeing how that's done.

Last edited: