What are you reading?

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
One Child by Torey Hayden. Just one of a series of such books. Before he taught middle school, my father spent years teaching EH. He spoke at length of his students and I was enthralled as a child ... even planned to follow in his footsteps. That didn't work out, but his stories still remain.

vpgrey

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. I enjoyed it - didn't expect to - but it was a good read. I loved the drama and action, and overdramatic romantic reactions to things. :D

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Whispered guilty pleasure confession quietly in the corner of this forum: I'm reading Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes, and LOVING IT. Loving every page of it. Something reminded me recently about how I watched the movie in maybe second grade and it disturbed the ever living hell out of me, but I never read the book. The characterization is phenomenal.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Whispered guilty pleasure confession quietly in the corner of this forum: I'm reading Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes, and LOVING IT. Loving every page of it. Something reminded me recently about how I watched the movie in maybe second grade and it disturbed the ever living hell out of me, but I never read the book. The characterization is phenomenal.

I loved that book. It's a Newberry award winner for sometime in the 1940s; I forget the year and it's a record-breaking bestselling book. It was a standard Scholastic Reading program book for years.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Jonathan Ames, You Were Never Really Here - great sharp and taunt story, with fantastic attention to details. I actually wish it was longer.

Currently reading Emma Glass, Peach. Enjoying it so far.

RunForPresentense

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth. I had two takeaways: so grateful to be alive in this day and age with widely accepted and distributed birth control, and I'm so impressed by how close the show feels to the book's voice and tone, even after the story in the show surpasses that of the book! The book had an extremely interesting balance of technical detail about midwifery balanced by individual scene stakes, definitely recommend it to anyone interested in nursing in the 1950's. Or London slums. Or nuns having fun.

SteinbeckisGod

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Jeff Vandermeer's Annihlation. Just like the movie, it's f---ing weird. I like weird.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin. It's definitely not for everyone. I loved it. Heartbreaking.

Just started... Do androids dream of electric sheep? by Philip K. Dick. About time!

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
Everything All At Once by Bill Nye. Good, recommended, but I feel like it's geared more toward teens and might not finish it.

Sigh in fact I haven't got through a few books lately. I can't get through functional, serviceable prose anymore. Sam Harris's new one -- I admire the man, he's a leading intellectual and I mostly agree with him. Also as a side point, not to diminish him, he does not write lively prose. This goes for Chomsky and many of our leading lights. Counter example of a thinker with lively prose, Douglas Rushkoff. All this is imho.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just downloaded The Fulfillment by LaVyrle Spencer

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Snowman, by Norwegian mystery writer Jo Nesbø. Extremely good. Dark, gritty and at times horrific, perhaps not the thing for everybody, but he's a damn fine writer.

caw

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
Girl with all the gifts! So good.

I tried watching the movie and turned it off after 10 minutes so as to not taint my reading experience.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I haven’t posted here in a while - since I started The Dispossessed a while back - I enjoyed it very much. There are some things Le Guin does astonishingly well, and she’s wonderfully imaginitive.

Somehow I am reading like four books at once now - that happens to me sometimes, as I have one or two audiobooks going, something in paper, and something on Kindle. So here’s what’s going on now:

Stein on Writing, Sol Stein - I’ll probably finish this today and it will be tempting to go right back to the beginning and start over. There are parts I have questions about, or would like more elaboration on, or examples that I don’t think are great at showing what he’s citing them for, but those are few and small compared to the great wealth and inspiration I’m finding in the book. It makes me want to dive into my manuscript and start FIXING THINGS.

1Q84, Haruki Murakami - I decided to reread this after talking about it with my niece. It’s a big commitment for a reread but I enjoyed it so much the first time, and Murakami is so respected as a writer, that I thought I might learn something from reading it again with attention to technique craft. What I’m finding is that I’m not enjoying it as much as the first time - and I’m surprised by how flabby and repetitive some of the writing is.

Through a Glass Darkly, Helen McCloy - I learned about Helen McCloy when hunting around for midcentury American writers whose work would be useful research for me. This one was published in 1950 and has indeed been extremely helpful for dialogue and colloquialisms. McCloy wrote quick little mystery and suspense novels. This one is not perfectly crafted by any means but it’s fast and very enjoyable. I picked up two more of her books this morning, because they are available in inexpensive little kindle editions.

Tell Me A Riddle, Tillie Olsen - And, more midcentury American fiction. I evidently read these stories, or at least the title story, in school but I have no memory of it. It’s very like Grace Paley, whose first collection of short stories I read a month or two ago. Olsen, like Paley, writes about womanhood and motherhood in an oppressive midcentury landscape. It’s as voicey as Paley (though the voice is somewhat different) and less overtly sexual, but still they reside near one another in fiction-space.

Blue Tortoise

Registered
Reaction score
Been reading Guns of Navarrone the last few days, regret its taken me 30 years to get around to it.

Lielac

Registered
Reaction score
I'm rereading Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire, this time on Kindle; it's the fae plus murder mystery and it's awesome. And it's written in first person past tense that I didn't even notice until a quarter of the way through, which makes me feel better about my current project.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently rereading George RR Martin's A Feast of Crows and Stephen King's Gerald's Game. I saw the Netflix movie of GG and just had to read it. So far not disappointed. Very suspenseful and King has some serious chops writing from that perspective.

Sarahani

Banned
Reaction score
Phenomena: the secret history of the U.S. government's investigations into extrasensory perception and psychokinesis
by Annie Jacobsen

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Started late last night (and got up especially early this morning to finish) Tim Winton's latest "The Shepherd's Hut". Stonkingly good. Dear God, but that man can write.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Drawing of the Three, the second book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. This is actually a second attempt at the series, which I started some years ago, and got bogged down in book 2. But I'm getting more out of it now, and have (so far) enough patience to put up with the continuity errors that plague the series. King really needed a serious copy edit that he didn't get, apparently. But, that aside, the story is powerful, the writing is really good, and the originality of the thing is impressive, to say the least. Every aspiring fantasy writer will get useful stuff out of this series.

caw

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Sarah Krasnostein's wonderful book - The Trauma Cleaner.
‘Written with sensitivity, insight and warmth…Krasnostein has pieced together a compelling history through careful research and interviews. The Trauma Cleaner is no ordinary trauma narrative: we see how the infliction of multiple traumas has left this fascinating woman uniquely placed to restore order among the despair of others, and it is with similar care that Krasnostein has produced this book.’

Books+Publishing
Trauma cleaners go in to clean up after murders, suicides, deaths, and when squalor or hoarding has necessitated some external action. Krasnostein has managed something of the same work in this beautiful, tender affirmation of a quite extraordinary life. Oh, I just loved it.

thejadevoice

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished SADIE by Courtney Summers -- it absolutely broke my heart. I have started on INVINCIBLE by Amy Reed, which I suspect isn't going to be kind to my heart either.

I also have an audiobook on the go -- THE CRUEL PRINCE by Holly Black. I have high hopes for it.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Sarah Krasnostein's wonderful book - The Trauma Cleaner. Trauma cleaners go in to clean up after murders, suicides, deaths, and when squalor or hoarding has necessitated some external action. Krasnostein has managed something of the same work in this beautiful, tender affirmation of a quite extraordinary life. Oh, I just loved it.

This sounds utterly fascinating and weird.

I finished Helen McCloy’s Through a Glass, Darkly, and continued my perusal of midcentury drugstore paperbacks with Vin Packer’s The Evil Friendship, a pulpy take on the Parker-Hulme murder that shows signs of psychological insight but never really runs with them due to constraints of form and length. That took about 30 seconds to read so I then started on Helen Eustis’s The Horizontal Man, which started with a terrific epigraph from WH Auden:

Let us honour if we can
The vertical man
Though we value none
But the horizontal one.

The prose in this book is dense and sticky, however, so I haven’t gotten very far.

Of the other books I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve finished up the Stein (loved it); still picking through the reread of 1Q84, with the understanding that it’s the story keeping me going, and not at all the writing or even the characters; and still working on the Tillie Olsen, though I’ve only one story left.