Smile … Or Else

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'd better stay the hell out of the airport then. I hate flying and I'm sure I look completely insane when I actually have to get on a plane. :)

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'd better stay the hell out of the airport then. I hate flying and I'm sure I look completely insane when I actually have to get on a plane. :)

Me too. I don't smile a lot. Still have that professional scowl that comes with being an NCO. Should be used to it though. When I worked security my carry on bag had the name of the company I worked for on it. I was searched a lot.

:Shrug:

Last edited:

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
What a charming stretch of lunacy.

I wonder whether it will work out that the people most often accosted by these buffoons look like they are of middle eastern descent. Could it be that this is a way to "profile" without it being obvious?

Edit: I myself am rather dour when surrounded by any sort of crowd. I hope I won't have to fly anytime soon.

Last edited:

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
Probably. Heck, not too long ago they wouldn't let a 7 year old boy on a plane because he had the same name as someone on the no fly list.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
It is just another technique in reality. Like all body language analysis techniques, behaviour patterns can not be relied on in isolation.

The problem I see with using it at an airport is that you have to understand a standard behavioural pattern of a person before you can guage any changes. ie. If someone frowns it may just mean he is a grumpy prick all of the time or he just lost his bags.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
This is why it cannot be done in isolation. Just took a grab of the article that J M linked to.

"I want to make it clear that one micro-expression or collection of them is not proof of anything," Frank says. "They have meaning only in the context of other behavioral cues, and even then are not an indictment of an individual, just very good clues."

JJ

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
In the UK the Social Security are trying to cut down on bogus claims by studying the voice patterns of those who make claims over the telephone. Any wavering or hesitation when answering questions, it would seem, could cause them to undertake further investigation of the individual.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
We got a lot of folk over here in Aus trying to convince a lot of people that facial recognition would be good for public transport etc. I'm in a position over here to to view the latest technology in these systems and what they can do with things like CCTV. It's truly mind blowing.

Problem is these consultants from the some of the biggest distributors out there seem to forget that with things like facial recognition you need a database to match the friggen faces with. Every time I have raised this point the meetings have ended not long after. They do put on good lunches though.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
In the UK the Social Security are trying to cut down on bogus claims by studying the voice patterns of those who make claims over the telephone. Any wavering or hesitation when answering questions, it would seem, could cause them to undertake further investigation of the individual.

I've heard of this Duped. It's a good idea considering some of the interesting types who attempt to rip off social security. It will have a shelf life though when they finally figure out how to beat the system.

JJ

Just Mike

A trifle upsetting, isn't he
Registered
Reaction score
This was 2004.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041013-4305.html

And I know that last year there was a big push to have this technology implanted into passports here. Also several cases of folks having it done for medical reasons, or because they want to.

I can see where this might be headed....

Yep. How lovely for everyone.

Oh, there are non-evil uses for this kind of technology, but given my own view of human nature if someone tried to jam a chip into my arm I'd flee the country.

Then again I don't even like it that IDs are necessary, so ya'll may take my views with a grain of salt.

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
lol. If he was that link would probably send him over the edge. I researched into that a bit more and discovered that as early as Feb this year the Japanese had developed a 128 bit chip approximately the size of a piece of dust.

something like 0.4 x 0.4

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
As long as it isn't a Wikipedia reference your quoting I'll accept that as true gossip.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
You heard it here first. This is why corporate espionage is the next big thing in the security indusrty. It's just getting easier and easier. Billion dollar deals are being made everyday across the globe. Who's listening to their competitors?

JJ

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that too. Still... knowing the highly intelligent folks they hire at TSA...

Look, this is really serious: a serious and terrifying practice aimed at our own citizens. I'm not kidding. America is going to implode with all this paranoia. We are pitting each other against each other daily, both openly and subliminally.

Now people shouldn't be "watched," or "scrutinized." It's awful. And it terrifies me to think that we are resorting to such extremes. My God, we're going to destroy the country if allow such practices to go on.

A measure of trust is vital to a country this size and this diverse. We can't continue this way.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
This stuff is getting scarier by the minute.

‘Behavior Detection Officers’ are now watching passengers’ facial expressions for signs of danger. It’s a new level of absurdity for America.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20298840/site/newsweek/?gt1=10252

It's kind of hard to smile when you're in long lines going through security and have some guy's hands down your pants and you're trying to catch a 5:30 flight and it's now 5:10 and the flight attendant is rude and you're seriously dehydrated, with a crying baby in your arm. But they're right -- at that point you're probably dangerous.