Pseudonym or Real Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorreign

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I know a couple of the names on my shelf are actually pseudonyms and not the author's real name. I have a long way to go before I even get to this point, but I have this thing with names (if I ever hear one I like, I write it down) and sometimes I doodle signatures. But I'm thinking that if I ever make it that far, I want to use a pseudonym, or at least, in the beginning. But I dunno, I might be married before then and have a different name anyway haha.

And the fact that I just don't envision my name on the cover of a romance...it doesn't sound very romantic. Ashley. ugh. lol.

But anyway, what about you? If you are published, did you go real name or pseudonym and why? And if you aren't published yet, what do you think you will choose and why?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I picked pseudonym. My husband asked me not to use my real name, and that was fine with me. My editor suggested a short name, so my name can be bigger on the cover. That was the only reasoning behind my name. *g*

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Are any publoshed authors actually using their real names? I assumed most didn't.

I keep my sexy fiction and serious 'faction' writing separate by using a pen name for novels.

Lorreign

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hmm well I guess it would be hard to say 'hey, yeah that's her real name!' without seeing a birth certificate lol. But I think that yes, a lot do. I've looked at the pros and cons, and some people use their real names because to use a pseudonym, that means they have to BE that person. Sign that name, answer to that name etc. But I like the idea for privacy reasons too.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
If I ever manage to get a novel published, I plan to use my real name. If for no other reason than to rub it in the face of people that told me I'd never get published.

However, if I were to get my erotic fiction published, I'll probably use a pen name...just because.

cmckenziemitchinson

Christy Kate McKenzie
Registered
Reaction score
Warrington, England (close to Manchester!!)
Website
www.christykatemckenzie.com
Because I also have a lit/women's fiction in the works, if I ever do get published I will use a pen name. I read on one author's web site where she said she uses 2 names- one for her regular romance and one for her steamy stuff. I would like to write for Intrigue, American, and Blaze so I figured on using a different name for Intrigue/American than for Blaze. Ahh, dreaming again...

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I do everything under pseudonyms. My real name is only used by family, close friends and the place where I work. I'm just a freakishly private person.

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
I choose to write under a pseudonym for a few reasons: First, I'm a teacher and while I don't write steamy stuff, I wanted to keep my writing separate from my day job. Second, I kept my maiden name when I married so my pseudonym is actually my husband's last name...I wanted to pay some honor to him for being so supportive :) Finally, my pseudonym is also close to the beginning of the alphabet, which is a nice benefit when it comes to being on author lists, etc.

Kristie911, I used to feel that way about "showing" the world that I finally got published, but I sort of got over it. I can understand the motivation, though.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I have been toying with this since I started writing. I don't hold any feeling for making the hubby's name famous (yea....IF I ever get published) they all treat me like camel dung so screw um plus everyone pronounces it wrong. I thought about my maiden name but me and my mom have the same 1st & middle name...and people always looked at me funny for using II after it - "only guys do that". I want to use Bugg - everyone knows me as auntybug! Still have to ponder...still have to to ge accepted to worry about it!!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I've got too big an ego to use a pseudonym... :ROFL:

But the name you pick, if you decide to use a pen name, should be considered carefully. Our books were originally going to be published with the names in reverse order (I won the coin toss) but the publisher changed it at the last minute. The reason? C.T. Adams would show up at eye-level on the romance shelves, which is useful for a debut author. Now, between us and romsus author Cherry Adair, we take up most of a shelf in some stores. :D

The other thing to keep in mind the length of the name. When I was at the PAN sessions at National, one of the Levy people was talking about doing a promo where the author would come into the Levy warehouses and sign SIX THOUSAND of their books over the course of two days. The books would get special promo in the stores and overall was a terrific thing for the author. But poor Elizabeth Thornton, who wound up having to ice down her arm after the first 2,000. She commented to one of the Levy people that she should have picked a pen name like Amy Smith. :roll:

So, consider the length of the name with the thought of a line of people wrapping around the room.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Depends what you consider your real name... i use my real first name and my maidan name. Now i am putting together a YA Fantasy series and if i do write it I'll probably use a different name for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.