"A" Pages and "B" Pages

workingwithletters

I'm guessing but are they for either the agent, manager, production company? Possible shooting script.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
used in revisions so everyone knows what's new.

don't worry about it--- yet.

So does that mean the "B" Page is a re-write of the "A" Page? A full-blown replacement of it?

Or does it mean that the "A" page has been "extended" or lengthened so that it spills onto an additional page?

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
It varies but the pages are locked when a script goes into production. This 'freezes' the document. If something is deleted, the space remains blank and if something is added it spills over to an A or B page - the reason being it's easier to print revision pages 55 & 55A than to print pages 55-110.

Basically, it allows you to make changes to a script without f-ing up the rest of the document.

Revisions get listed on the title page and often have asterisks alongside the changes so they are easy to spot. There is also an entire colour system assigned to revisions incorporating more than a dozen different shades - almost always used in the same order - someone working at a production company will probably be able to rattle them off by heart.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
nothing for you to worry about until your script goes into production and someone (probably not you either) is hired to rewrite pages. color coding is another tool but that may be for tv only. still nothing for you to worry about.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Yes, there is such a thing as a "C" page. And a "D" page and an "E" page and so on and so forth for however many pages the revisions spill over into.

Here are three pages from the season one finale of '24' which demonstrate how revisions work.

This page, page 30, has revisions at the top of the page, marked on the right hand side of the page by a vertical line of '*******'. Adding these changes to the script forces everything below it further down the page and pushes some of it over to the next page.

01.jpg

This gives us page '30A' where the pieces of the script forced down by the revisions on page 30 end up. Mike Novick's line, "I've already called Robin over at ASI," is where page 30 used to end.

02.jpg

With all the revisions complete and the displaced text on its own page now, the script continues on page 31 as it used to.

03.jpg

And that's about it.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Okay. This makes sense. :)

One more question (if that's okay. :D )

My question specifically concerns the two pieces that both have the vertical ******

Is that a situation where the FIRST ***** delinneates a discarded piece of the script, and then the SECOND ***** indicates the new replacement for it?????? And yet, they chose to keep the old discarded stuff on hand in the body of the script anyhow????? Or am I still not getting it???

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
No. The asterisks simply indicate new additions to the script. In this case, and seemingly for better continuity, the addition of Palmer talking to the press both outside the hotel and on TV. I can't say for sure, but to me it looks like the scene originally started with Sherry watching her husband talk on TV. In a revision, they added the scene of Palmer speaking outside (for whatever reason) and then had to change the lines in the following scene of Sherry watching on TV. (If you look, the scene heading and description isn't a revision, just Palmer's dialogue.)

You can see a further example of revisions on page 31. Scan down to Mike Novick's line, "He'll be in the ballroom in five minutes. I've already told secret service." Something has been added/taken away there, indicated by the single astericks on the right. But the addition/deletion was so slight that it didn't alter the page count.

Last edited:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
:)

You're welcome.

As others have said, it's nothing major to worry about at this point but there's no harm in finding out as much as you can about the world you're going to enter.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. The asterisks simply indicate new additions to the script. In this case, and seemingly for better continuity, the addition of Palmer talking to the press both outside the hotel and on TV. I can't say for sure, but to me it looks like the scene originally started with Sherry watching her husband talk on TV. In a revision, they added the scene of Palmer speaking outside (for whatever reason) and then had to change the lines in the following scene of Sherry watching on TV. (If you look, the scene heading and description isn't a revision, just Palmer's dialogue.)

The scene most likely did start here.

A2326 is the add on. Just like the page numbers, you also have A + B scenes in a revised shooting script. Usually this is taken care of by adding the scenes after the one preceding it, eg, scene: 27 - scene 27 (a), 27 (b). Again, and like the page numbers, you don't want to be renumbering scenes in an entire shooting script, as when revisons are called for certain scenes may be set up and scheduled, others may already be shot.

In this instance, I'm assuming that as the scene was added at the beginning of Act Four, the extra A scene preceded 2326 instead of being numbered A2325.

Last edited:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
The scene most likely did start here.

A2326 is the add on. Just like the page numbers, you also have A + B scenes in a revised shooting script. Usually this is taken care of by adding the scenes after the one preceding it, eg, scene: 27 - scene 27 (a), 27 (b). Again, and like the page numbers, you don't want to be renumbering scenes in an entire shooting script, as when revisons are called for certain scenes may be set up and scheduled, others may already be shot.

In this instance, I'm assuming that as the scene was added at the beginning of Act Four, the extra A scene preceded 2326 instead of being numbered A2325.

Neat - thanks for the extra info.