Status
Not open for further replies.

author_martina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help me. I am working on a new ms, sysnopis (well rough) but it's complete and I have no problems seeing the story unfold WHEN NOT AT MY COMPUTER... I could be driving down the road, working whatever and then as soon as I sit down to put fingers to keyboard it's gone. Anyone have any ideas. I've thought to jot down notes it I can't actually sit down for a couple of hours to write but it doesn't help, almost as if the mood or feel of the story is gone as soon as I sit in front of the computer.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
You could take the scene from the story that appeals most to you, and start with that. Visualize it in your head, until the perfect opening sentence pops up in your head, write it down and go from there.

author_martina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, both of you they are good ideas. I have tried both but I keep having this block as soon as I sit down. As I said I have no problems visualizing scences or dialogue but always at times when it is impossible to do anything about it then when I could write it down or add it to what I already have the whole feeling is gone.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps do a little free writing before you start work on your draft? Take any writing prompt, and just do some stream of consciousness stuff for about five minutes, then dive into your novel.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Get a small tape recorder and whenever you're visualizing the scenes, record yourself talking it through. That way, when you sit down to write it, you are just transcribing your tapes and that might take the pressure off to "write".

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I know this will sound bizarre, but it works for me. Close your eyes when you type. For me, sometimes it's the staring at the screen and seeing the walls around me that shut off the well. Once I close my eyes, I'm back again in the car, free-wheeling with the story (because that's also how I plot.)

Don't worry about getting the tabs or returns right. That's easily fixed. Just make sure you have your fingers on the right keys when you start. (did that once... :ROFL: )

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I know this will sound bizarre, but it works for me. Close your eyes when you type.

I thought I was the only one that did that!

I type with my eyes closed when I'm first starting...then once I get into it, I can open them without losing the flow.

It sounds strange but it really works! :)

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Poor Martina. Thank goodness, my little muse hasnt developed that anxiety. :scared:

I hope this object disappears soon for you.

I'm still new at learning new ways of avoiding blocks but one thing I find helpful is walking by myself and talking in to a tape recorder. Often walking really frees my mind.

This may sound crazy but do you have a laptop? Try a different area out of your abode to write. Even in the bathroom.

I hope something works for you soon.

Good luck.
Cheers, Josie

Last edited:

ElleF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
members.aol.com
Music works for me. I have a playlist called "writing" on my computer. It's all instrumental (mostly piano), and all stuff that I've heard a million times before. If it was new music it would be too distracting, because I'd be focusing on it instead. If it had lyrics, I'd be singing along, and I think that would be counter-productive.

Music relaxes me. And I'm at my most creative when I'm relaxed. I get my best ideas just as I'm about to fall asleep and when I'm in the bath. Since neither of those two places is condusive to writing, I've just simulated the feeling with music.

I can see where closing your eyes would work too. Unfortunately, I can't type worth a damn, so that really wouldn't do it for me! :)

author_martina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks everyone. I think I will try closing my eyes and taking a tape recorder with me in the car. Who cares if the people around me think I am talking to myself.

Josie I do use a laptop and have tried taking it outside or into other rooms but I don't know, just seems like my mind will wonder always to what I'm not working on. As I said the story flows when I should be concentrating on other things.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha to what you said about closing your eyes in the car....etc.

Cathy said it for me. Not while you're driving.

Well, Martina. How about your plot? Do you have some scenes planned?
I find if I dont have at least some of the plot figured out, that certainly freezes me up. I'm a cross between a plotter and a pantser. More and more I'm leaning towards more plot or I get stuck.

:Hammer: or :e2BIC:

Cheers, Josie

author_martina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Too true... can you just hear the story I would have to tell the police... YIKES!

I do have the general plot outlined and even the initial meeting already down. They meet have a certain amount of chemistry, enough that they both want to explore it further but soon find out he steals her job (unknowingly of course). Obviously this will put a major kink in the growing attraction, but rather than lay down she starts her own business and goes into competion with him bidding on the say project.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Alphasmart.:heart:

Yes, I now have the new Neo

I call it Neo, son of Alphie (Alphasmart). It has a much lighter touch and is also quieter than its predecessor. Many times, it's true, it has helped me to go further into the story.

A change of scene is another good idea.

Cheers, Josie

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
If your mind is wandering with respect to "I ought to be doing something else" thoughts, you might try putting a notepad next to your keyboard (or notebook if you're writing longhand). Whenever something comes up to distract you, jot it down so it gets out of your head.

Also, try playing with the color and font settings of your program if you're writing on the computer. Sometimes I find the default font too boring and writing with black letters on white background a little intimidating, so I pick something fun.

Good luck!

author_martina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
:idea: I am thinking maybe I am trying too hard to get it all down too fast. So I think I might take a break from it for a week or so and clear my head, read a little of someone elses work. While I was on holiday I read one of Janet Evanovich's (Stephanie Plum) novels and it made for a nice quick easy read. Perfect escapism. Any recomendations out there for what to read to clear my head??

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Just Friday I bought my first Alphie, a 3000 from Ebay. I saw my first one when I roomed with Anne at National (she has a Dana) but I think all the PalmPilot stuff would just be a distraction to me. The distractions are what I'm trying to get away from. I might move up to a Neo, but since I was able to get the 3000 for a whopping $51 (and the seller covered the shipping costs) it seemed a better place to start. I'll let you guys know what I think. I'm hoping it will avoid the distractions of my desktop and office. We'll see. :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The AlphaSmart is a stand-alone word processor that operates in Rich Text Format mode. You can type plain text (like for a book) and then transmit it into your desktop computer to upload into either Word or WordPerfect. It's battery operated (3 AA cells) and apparently--since I don't have it yet--virtually indestructable. People use them to type while waiting to pick up kids from sporting events, school projects and at the laundromat. It'll handle typing speeds up to 100wpm. In order of age/version is the AlphaSmart 2000, 3000, Neo and Dana. I bought the 3000, because people have told me at other sites that it's the "workhorse" of the line. Looking forward to trying it out!

jass

Registered
Reaction score
Martina, I can identify with your problem.
What I have found helpful is instead of letting the whole scene run round in my head, I slow my mind down and try to focus on each sentence without worrying or thinking what my characters are going to do or say next. I find I am able to visualize much better this way, and really get into the characters heads, their surroundings, body language etc. All those little things translate into words on the screen. I guess it sounds obvious, but when your mind is racing ahead you miss such a lot, and if it 'aint there you can't get it down in writing.

author_martina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks Jass. You've probably got it right, my mind is so far ahead into the story that I can't make the details happen because in my mind I've already passed that part of the book. I am doing my best to slow down but it's hard. I am excited about the story and anxious to get it all down. I haven't even attempted to write anything since last week and I think that little step away is helping. Hopefully I can settle down enough to work through it at a more relaxed pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.