• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Arcade Publishing

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Anyone here have the misfortune of talking to these folks on the phone? They need a serious lesson in manners. Any of y'all had dealings with them?

DPE

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who's the publisher? Do you have a link to their site? It would help folks here identify them.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I think the information in the OP is really lacking. If you want to give specifics, that's great. But, no offense, what you have here is pretty much useless.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay, sorry for the typo, but I was really pissed when I wrote it. I was wondering if anyone had a bad experience with Arcade Publishing. My partner had called them on a routine matter and was met with rudeness, evasiveness and no answer to her question.

The company had requested manuscripts from us in the past, and my partner was taken aback by their hostile response.

(This is a company that has a very good reputation in the industry and I've talked to at least one author who is published with them. He is happy with their treatment of him, so far.)

When my partner was asked to email her question, they claimed they didn't remember the phone call, even though the email was sent a minute after she hung up, and they answered it immediately.

It's the only publisher EVER that's treated us like that. We talk every day with the editors from the big New York houses and are greeted with cheery hellos and how are yas.

Perhaps they were having a really bad day, but it's no excuse for the rudeness.

D

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Arcade is my publisher, and in my experience, they've been nothing but pleasant and professional. Hate to hear that, though -- I'll bring it to my editor's attention.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Yeah, that does sound odd, especially with the immediate email answer. It almost sounds like someone else answered the phone.

(Strangely enough, I had a dream last night where I was at my wife's work sitting at somebody's desk and the phone rang so I answered it. They were asking me all these questions I didn't know and I was doing the take down the number and get back to you routine.)

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It's summer. Maybe it's an intern or the office junior subbing for the receptionist, and they haven't yet learned proper phone manners. See if the problem persists.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hope not. We have manuscripts with them. My partner is still trying to cool off. It was really surreal.

LittleGinaT

Registered
Reaction score
I have submitted to them in the past and have had nothing but courteous treatment. Your experience may have been a fluke, which can happen anywhere. Let us know if it persists and do bring it to the attn. of an editor.
Gina

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Strangely enough, folks, my partner's latest communication with them was a 180 from the former. Maybe they read these forums or an author clued them in.

dp

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading it right now, and it reads to me just as you said. I don't think you're being a buffoon in any way.

It could be a snarky way to get impatient authors to wait, a cynical way to deal with importunate authors who simply won't wait, or a mercenary stab at monetizing the slush pile. No matter why, it doesn't seem a policy likely in any way to enhance their reputation.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Arcade has this to say on their submissions page: "Unfortunately, due to the volume of queries, we will not be able to respond to everyone. However, you may request an immediate review (two business days) for a $100 rush fee, payable by check in advance."

Interesting. I wonder how new this offer is. Same statement on the Skyhorse imprint submissions page.

alaktas

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a manuscript submission in August and still no response. I think I'll write this one off as a no.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note that they/Skyhorse dropped the "rush fee" pretty quickly.

ObeysGravity

Registered
Reaction score
I see this thread's been quiet a while, but judging by their recent titles on PM it looks like Arcade is doing pretty well.

I'm a bit puzzled by their submission guidelines. They ask for quite a bit: synopsis, chapter outline, market analysis, etc., but no mention of "paste in body" vs. attachments.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

Aquero

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, fellow writers!

I would like to know if anyone has successfully submitted to Arcade Publishing and how they submitted. I am specifically interested in knowing how they submitted the entire proposal, whether in the body of the email or as an attachment in the email. They don't state that specific information in the submission page.

Thanks,
A.

Reactions: byarvin