Last Movie You Watched...

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
UP.

Never seen it before, but heard all the hype. Watched it a few days ago with my wife and nearly cried because, dang it, that's going to be us some day. Films like that have a great knack for obliterating my suspension of disbelief (soooo many logical problems that are only explained because human behavior is, at times, irrational) and tugging at my heartstrings.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
The Last Unicorn. Which I've see about a kajillion time and is the best movie ever.

But now I'm wondering if it predicted social media and the rise of influencer culture.

That was a trippy book/movie to be sure, but appropriate for a fantasy. I only wish the film had use Beagle's original songs, as written and performed for the audio book version. Using then-current music kinda broke the mood for me in the film, but I loved Christopher Lee as King Haggard. *eats a taco*

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
That was a trippy book/movie to be sure, but appropriate for a fantasy. I only wish the film had use Beagle's original songs, as written and performed for the audio book version. Using then-current music kinda broke the mood for me in the film, but I loved Christopher Lee as King Haggard. *eats a taco*

Fair enough, but I'll admit I love that soundtrack. I know Beagle never felt the movie got the book right, as someone who's reread it, idk, about a million times, I can see what he's saying. But I feel like, tho wonky and far from perfect, TLU The Movie was a convergence of factors (Beagle's script, the proto-Studio Ghibli animators, that great cast, and yes, even America) that can't be reproduced and added up to to something really special.

*eats taco, hands Taylor a can of Red Bull*

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Freaks (2018)

A horror movie that combines elements of X-men and The Village.

There's a Netflix movie called Freaks, but this wasn't it. Although I did watch it on Netflix streaming. Common name, I guess.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
Snowpiercer. It was a brilliant story, and Tilda Swinton is an incredible actor. Some parts were difficult to watch but it was a really good movie. I am still thinking about it today, especially the main character and his character arc.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Snowpiercer. It was a brilliant story, and Tilda Swinton is an incredible actor. Some parts were difficult to watch but it was a really good movie. I am still thinking about it today, especially the main character and his character arc.

Absolutely one of my favorite movies ever. Amazing visuals, nuanced and complex themes, great characters and performances (Octavia Spencer as the team bruiser was my favorite), and tons and tons of blood-drenched, super-sick violence if that's your thing.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Death of Stalin. Both hilarious and black as pitch, with an amazing cast.

Saw this too. One of those rare movies I could watch again and again and catch different things each time. Loved it!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
The Hunt for the Skinwalker. Not the first time I've seen it. It rattled me something terrible, as it being the most haunted property in the U.S. I just had to write my version of the theory about the mystery infestation into a fictional account and make it the last book in my trilogy. I explained what I was doing and what I had to do to change it up and George Knapp gave me the thumbs up on it. I'm dedicating the book to him for scaring the crap out of me.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Children of Men. A bit bleak, but probably my favorite movie ever. Every shot, every performance, every detail, just an exceptional work of art and meditation on humanity.

The Hunt for the Skinwalker.

Ooh, I have a soft spot for stuff like this. I tried watching a more recent SW Ranch documentary a while back, didn't like the guy directing it (a young dude, not Knapp). And I know I have to just accept a lot of this stuff as 'for entertainment value' and have gotten better at knowing the records of people making the claims and doing my own information gathering. But ghosts, cryptids, UFO & etc, any of that stuff and you got me interested.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Children of Men. A bit bleak, but probably my favorite movie ever. Every shot, every performance, every detail, just an exceptional work of art and meditation on humanity.

Ooh, I have a soft spot for stuff like this. I tried watching a more recent SW Ranch documentary a while back, didn't like the guy directing it (a young dude, not Knapp). And I know I have to just accept a lot of this stuff as 'for entertainment value' and have gotten better at knowing the records of people making the claims and doing my own information gathering. But ghosts, cryptids, UFO & etc, any of that stuff and you got me interested.

Yeah, I saw the doc from the young guy and didn't care for it very much. Oh, yeah, the paranormal, criptid animals, UFOs, Bigfoot, ancient megaliths, aliens, all of it is kind of a glutton feed for me. No real conclusions, just entertainment.

Children of Men rings a bell with me. I might go and check that one out.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Good Boys. Basically Superbad with tweens, if you're into that style of humor it's actually very funny and more sweet than gross.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes, with Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. I love both of those movies...light, action packed, great movies to relax to.

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
They've just put Emma on Netflix. It's the first time I've ever heard the story outside Clueless. I couldn't stand that film. So, I'm glad I got to see this adaptation. I laughed, cried, and got the fuzzies at the end. Five stars.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
An American Werewolf in London.

And then discovered there's an option for audio commentary from the lead actors and literally watched the whole movie over again XD Commentary was so good, love that movie. Husband fell asleep on the second watch though!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
*Points to avatar*

I'm on a Brando kick lately. Until yesterday, The Godfather and Streetcar Named Desire were the only films of his I'd seen.

So, yesterday I watched On the Waterfront. Absolutely loved it!

Today I watched Last Tango in Paris. I...was not...prepared...for it. But, I'm an open-minded, forward-thinking, impossible to offend type, so I did enjoy it. Brando's performance is mesmerizing, even if it is disturbing as hell.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.

Full disclosure, I love Will Ferrell movies. This one is definitely more sentimental and family-friendly, Ferrell and Rachael MacAdams are two Icelandic bffs trying to get into Eurovision. Plots writes itself. The movie has no interest in making fun of Europeans and seems more like an advertisement for how awesome Eurovision is. All the numbers are great and I saw cameos from quite a few performers from recent years.

Ferrell is his typical immature doof, but plays it down a bit. MacAdams is more the star, and plays a character who's supposed to be ultra-pure and gentle to the point where she talks to elves and whales, but still manages to come off as funny and well-rounded. Dan Stevens plays the 'villain' as kind of a Russian Ricky Martin, and is another excellent, positive character with an interesting backstory.

YMMV. It's ain't deep. It ain't edgy. I loved it.

Last edited:

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Watched You Should Have Left with Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried a couple of nights ago. It was underwhelming, and I didn't like the two main twists in the story.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The Green Butchers. Mads Mikkelsen as a butcher who turns his customers into cannibals (I'd just finished watching Hannibal).

Listed as a comedy, but very dark, and amusingly absurd. I watched in Danish with English subtitles, and I'm sure some of the jokes would have been better if I didn't need subtitles, but it worked.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Just Mercy

A civil rights attorney works to free a wrongly convicted black man from death row. Set in the late 80s/early 90s.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The last movie I saw in a theater was Birds of Prey, a midafternoon matinee some time around the middle of February. I rarely go to movies by myself, but everyone was busy. It was an odd experience which feels more surreal looking back from the perspective of the global SARS-COV-2 pandemic.

... It was a fun movie, goofy, self-aware. Easily in the top rank of DC Universe movies (though IMHO that’s a low bar ...).

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming. In honor of the late, great Carl Reiner. Such a fun, funny movie! When I was very young I had the biggest crush on Alan Arkin after watching it, and I still kinda do. :)

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
Last movie I watched in theaters: Onward. Add one more to the list of "Pixar movies that made me cry." Being an older brother who often feels like a "screw-up" compared to his more accomplished younger brother, I found a kindred spirit in Star-Lord Smurf.

Last movie I watched, period: Annihilation. I liked it. I'm not sure if I understood all of it, but I liked it. I appreciated how everything about the movie felt just a little surreal, from the dialogue, to the atmosphere, to even the scene cuts. It truly is Uncanny Valley: The Movie. In a good way.