Mortal Engines.
It had some moment but essentially meh.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
A documentary about Joan Jett (sp?). It wasn't anywhere near as good as the Blondie doc, but it was pretty revealing about The Runaways, and how they paved the way for all-girl rock bands, which I didn't realize. You had the sweet ballad singers of the 60s and 70s, and then along comes Joan to tear the lid off of things, which I thought was ground-breaking.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Velvet Buzzsaw

I found it extremely entertaining, if not necessarily as deep or surreal as it wants to be. We all agree that true art is when you're poor and selling-out turns you dead inside, but it feels a little rote. The characters come off more like archetypes, which is mitigated by the fact that the cast is very good, and they're all having a lot of fun. Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Toni Collette, Malkovich, Daveed Diggs. Gyllenhaal's career is taking a course somewhere between the understated self-parody of Keanu and the overstated self-parody of Cage. I am here for that. Plus, the horror elements manage to be both funny and get some good scares.

So it's pretty good! But for a horror/satire set in the art world, I'd say Deepest Dark is better.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Animas (Netflix). Frankly, I gave it a try because of the somewhat polarized reviews on IMDB. One reviewer claimed the first hour was boring and confusing but the last 30 minutes made up for it.

I thought the whole thing was quite well done. The leads did a terrific job. I was interested through the entire thing and thought I'd figured out the plot twist. Wrong! I was pleasantly surprised at the twist and kudos to the writers, because I'm seldom fooled. Definitely recommended.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A revisit to a forty-year-old favorite, All That Jazz. Still excellent, although in some ways dated. I'm not a big fan of dance, but in this movie, I wanted to be Ann Reinking, or at least have that leggy body.

Sobering to realize how many of the actors, in major and minor roles, are dead.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
After watching the version with zombies, I've been watching some versions of Pride and Prejudice.

I wasn't so keen on the 1995 miniseries. The actress playing Elizabeth Bennet seemed too old to me and her mother was awful. Mr Darcy seemed OK. The pacing was off: considering that the series was over 6 hours long, all the worthwhile things happened in the last half hour of the final episode.

The 1980 miniseries was somewhat better in all these regards and I liked the Mr Darcy. Better pacing, too and less overacting. Alas, the cheap production values are too obvious to ignore.

The 2005 movie was the best - a lot of the unnecessary filler was condensed or ignored, leaving more room for the downs and ups of the central Darcy & Lizzie story. Keira Knightley was really good and the Mr Darcy was played properly sternly.

It's strange but for the Zombie version I would not have considered watching any of this sort of thing.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you're checking out variations of Pride and Prejudice, make sure to include Lost in Austen! A devoted modern Austen fan switches places with Elizabeth Bennet & has to make sure the story stays on track. It's a lot of fun, & an interesting take on some of the characters.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Avatar. Man, this movie is still pretty. Man, it's got some deep problems. I can't believe there's a sequel in production. Let alone a whole series of them. What possible currency could a whole series of Avatar movies have more than a decade later? What could they possibly say? (yeah, I know, I know, $$$)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Avatar. Man, this movie is still pretty. Man, it's got some deep problems. I can't believe there's a sequel in production. Let alone a whole series of them. What possible currency could a whole series of Avatar movies have more than a decade later? What could they possibly say? (yeah, I know, I know, $$$)

The less I say about that movie the better, but man I love that starship. Project Rho did a good writeup on it, likely the most plausible interstellar vessel we'll see in film.

​Not so much into the smurfs.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The less I say about that movie the better, but man I love that starship. Project Rho did a good writeup on it, likely the most plausible interstellar vessel we'll see in film.

​Not so much into the smurfs.
oh god, Don't get me started on the smurf people. So much work went into that movie's creature design and buidling plausible alien life, and then we got giant blueberry kitty men. I imagine James Cameron leering over the concept artists at their work, screaming "bigger! Bluer! BLUER!"

I've got my own theory, re: the Na'vi being old human invaders, who have been fully assimilated into the Eywa god-organism. Shades of the cruciform people from Hyperion. This would explain why they're not evidently phylogenetically related to any of the Pandoran animals we see, and yet are able to, um, 'dock' with them (and thanks for that remarkably uncomfortable scene where Sam Worthington has unconsenting ear-congress with a dragon, Jim).

The tech was boss!

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've got my own theory, re: the Na'vi being old human invaders, who have been fully assimilated into the Eywa god-organism. Shades of the cruciform people from Hyperion.

Mine is that they were from Earth, but were put there by prehistoric aliens (or whatever). Y'know, that movie was not for me, but I can't really hate on it. Srsly, the tail-bonding. Way too kinky for me.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I definitely don't hate it. But I've got a habit of nitpicking big popcorn sci-fi movies, and Avatar really lends itself to scrutiny. Probably because it was so bombastically marketed, trumpeted at the time as the movie that was going to change how we watch films forever. That panned out, didn't it?

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Kong: Skull Island. Not nearly as good as I was hoping for given the stellar cast... I must have missed the promotional campaign when it was first released, because I was surprised at how much of it was just Apocalypse Now with big monsters. (And, as a friend pointed out, a fair bit of Moby Dick as well.)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Overlord. Scrappy WWII soldiers on a mission run up against Nazi zombies. Great action, memorable characters, a lot of body horror but it still stands on its own as a war movie. Solid, well-executed fun all the way through, nothing to snark about and a whole lot to appreciate.

Last edited:

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
The Bank Job (2008)

I like a good heist film and it was an interesting insight into that part of history because it was based on a true story. Pacing was a little off, we paused half-way through and I would have thought we were 75% through from where we were in the story-line.
It's on UK Netflix until the end of this week (23rd Feb).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Planeta Bur (1962 Soviet SF). Quite good for its time, with some unintentional funny WTF bits. Definitely recommended, although it can't touch the greatness and WTFery of Ikarie XB-1.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Bohemian Rhapsody. The resemblance is uncanny most of the time, and funny some of the time.