Last Movie You Watched...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Caught a matinee show of Hereditary.

*faints*

I loved it, but I can't think of a more unsettling (or punishing) movies I've seen since I accidentally walked in on The Fly as a little kid. You've got supernatural/demonic horror. You've got family drama and adult fear horror. And you've got gore. Lot's and lots of gore. If you so choose to see it (and I know I'm dealing with seasoned horror aficionados here, still, be prepared) see it in the theaters, there are a lot of small noises that are very effective, and the audience reactions are worth going for alone.

Dang, first movie that got me into a theater since Fury Road.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
What did you think of the ending? I had some issues with it, specifically with O'Shea Jackson Jr's character and how easy it was for him to forgive her (w/o trying to spoiler too much).

It was definitely an easy ending, with an obvious moral. But I thought it worked, in its own way.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
You made it farther along than I did. I quit about 30 minute in. Pretty FX don't keep me interested. I need characters to care about.

SAME

The world building scenes at the beginning were interesting, but the second the main characters made their appearance my interest waned.

It also rubbed me the wrong way when they introduced two characters at the same time, one male one female, yet the movie was named after the male character. Pretty obvious who was going to be considered secondary...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It was definitely an easy ending, with an obvious moral. But I thought it worked, in its own way.

Yeah, in the end there was something kind of by the numbers and predictable about it (and the whole movie in general). But I liked that.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Hereditary last night. Feelgood flick of the summer, right there! The actors are all excellent, and I wouldn't be surprised if Toni Collette or Alex Wolff were a dark horse Oscar nomination. I'm not sure I feel about the ending.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ocean's Eight -- AWESOME. I think better than 11 honestly. It's much tighter, while keeping the humour, suspense, etc.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Infinity War, I thought they handled so many characters and plot lines really well.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Finally saw The Post, which was a mixed bag for me. It felt like a nice prequel, of sorts, to All the President's Men, but man was it a slow start. I get Spielberg wanted to showcase Mrs. Graham's personal dilemma against the larger story, but I think the pacing suffered for it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Man-Made Monster, via Svengoolie. Lon Chaney Jr. once again gets into the clutches of a mad scientist requiring a trusting, less-than-brilliant subject. A fun watch for a Saturday night.

I wonder if a legitimate research paper could be written on Lon Chaney Jr. as the father of angsty hero/victims.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Aka: Jurassic WTF.

Let's just say that, in terms of gravitas, this may be the Boaty McBoatface of Jurassic Park movies.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Really? Drat. I was hoping it would be mindless cheesy fun. :(

I sat through The Night Walker (last night's Svengoolie). Possibly the only boring William Castle movie. It didn't help that I'm not a fan of Barbara Stanwyck and she screams--aka screeches--a LOT in this movie. Being a Castle film, the plot "twists" were painfully obvious, but it was simply not a fun movie.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tag, which was cuter than it looked, and the Mr. Rogers Documentary (Won't You Be My Neighbour?) Which was wonderful and depressing and wonderful at the same time. *sniff*

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The Rainmaker," which to my surprise was directed by Coppola. It wasn't up to his usual standards, IMO.

We listened to the audio book on a very long drive recently and figured we should compare and contrast while our memories were fresh. The movie gutted what we agreed made the book palatable despite poor character development. Much of the casting seemed way off, too, although Mickey Rourke was excellent in an oily way. Anyway, I'm sorry I wasted time on it. The one that played in my head as we listened was way better.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Really? Drat. I was hoping it would be mindless cheesy fun. :(
Oh it was all those things to a point, just be aware it will definitely suck your mind out through a straw. I mean, this thing has not one but four villains, played by four respected character actors, who must have all looked at Vincent D'Onofrio's performance in the last one and thought that his bad guy was just too nuanced. Aware that the writing of BDH's character in the last one was criticised as sexist, this movie makes sure to open with a close up on her sensible shoes. And the most sympathetic character in the whole red hot mess is, once again, the monster.

All up, 13/10.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Shot Caller, featuring Jamie Lannister as a member of a white power prison gang.

Improbable and a tad to many fake mustaches.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oh it was all those things to a point, just be aware it will definitely suck your mind out through a straw. I mean, this thing has not one but four villains, played by four respected character actors, who must have all looked at Vincent D'Onofrio's performance in the last one and thought that his bad guy was just too nuanced. Aware that the writing of BDH's character in the last one was criticised as sexist, this movie makes sure to open with a close up on her sensible shoes. And the most sympathetic character in the whole red hot mess is, once again, the monster.

All up, 13/10.

:roll: Best lines of the day go to 'focused on her sensible shoes' and 'thought the [earlier villain] was too nuanced' :roll:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix Streaming:

Brain on Fire...based on a true story. it held my interest.

The New Daughter. 2009 Kevin Kostner looks good. LOL another movie that held my interest. but i'm not too happy with the ending. Director says they just wanted to leave the ending open for viewer interpretation. i feel...it's just a lazy way out of "i don't know how i really want this to end".

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. --Took the whole morning off to watch it. Love the movie but also am working up to some major house reno this winter. It might be less dreadful if I had Lex Barker in gleaming white overalls, as my contractor but, while competent, my contractors are a scruffy couple-- more like Eb and Ralph from Green Acres.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On Netflix streaming, The Circle with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks (who says a dirty word near the end, startling coming from him).

Interesting premise, great sets mimicking the Apple campus, perfectly good acting, horrible ending. The trivia on IMDb said they audience-tested it and feedback was that people hated how it ended, so they redid the ending, and people hated that one even worse, so they went back to the original, which, as they already knew, pleased nobody.

This was Bill Paxton's last movie. I wished it had been better for his sake.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm that's disappointing, I dislike bad endings to otherwise good movies. I finished watching 500 Days of Summer with my friend for the first time. I really liked the movie but he didn't particularly care for the ending.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

I saw the original movies in the theater. This latest one had zero plot and lots of blood and gore. If you like plot, save your money.

Last edited: