Last Movie You Watched...

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Quiet Place. One character is :deaf: with a cochlear implant, but all the humans sign ASL :applause:and do a lot of silent mouthing and lipreading 'cause monsters :e2teeth: which can neither see nor smell possess extraordinary hearing to stalk and devour any cast member. :Ssh:
This downer dystopian flick :popcorn:is kind of a metaphor for hearies versus deafies in our real world. :Soapbox:

I'm looking forward to A Quiet Place, Part II. It's sort of cool when most of the hearing audience needs subtitles for all the signing and mouthing. :greenie

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Pet Cemetary, the remake.

Just terrible, a totally waste. It gets a little bit better in the second half with the creepy kid, but consistently bad. Booooooooo.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Astro-Zombies (a laugh riot)

This one actually has a special place in my heart as I saw it at my very first science fiction convention back in 1980. Found out there's Mark of the Astro-Zombies, a remake/reimagining by the original director and two sequels, Astro Zombies: M3 - Cloned, and Astro Zombies: M4 - Invaders from Cyberspace. Haven't seen those three yet.

Anyway, watched 4D Man on Svengoolie again tonight (starring Robert Lansing, best known to Star Trek fans as Gary Seven from the episode Assignment: Earth, and Lee Meriwether in their feature debut). It's kind of grown on me; I barely remember watching it on Creature Feature growing up so I was rather looking forward to it when he showed it last year. Probably a fourth draft script that should have gone through one or two more rewrites but still a bang-up job. The totally cool jazz score, completely unexpected for a picture of this caliber, is absolutely stunning.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Memento, and WOW. That was a mind-blower. I thought this movie would be hard to follow, but I actually could keep up.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Love these Sci-Fy marathons of Potter.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Knives Out

Great movie. I expected to be meh about it, and it had kind of that Wes Anderson thing where everything has to be delightfully twee. But the tone of the movie suited that and it was a lot of fun.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Last Unicorn. Which I've see about a kajillion time and is the best movie ever.

But now I'm wondering if it predicted social media and the rise of influencer culture.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

This is one of my favorite movies, full of great performances and amazing cinematography, and a gorgeous soundtrack. Despite the abundance and realism of the naval battles it's surprisingly thoughtful and character-centered -- very true to the source material in that way! I will always regret they never got to make more.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on TV again! I re-watched one I saw recently.

vicelimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Because it's outbreak season, I watched 93 Days (ebola in nigeria). I hope we can quickly stop the corona virus too.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody on Facebook set up a viewing party for Just Imagine, a science fiction musical from 1930 about life in 1980. The scenes set on Mars had some decent matte work and would have been absolutely killer if they were shot in color; plenty of opportunity for crazy swaths of red, orange, and yellow. Also featured the standard sf trope of pretty girls from the future or another planet wearing miniskirts and high heels.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My Neighbor Totoro. Aaaaahhhh....

I've also been urging it on friends who are feeling very stressed. It's very therapeutic. :Hug2:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Harriet. Not bad, Cynthia Ervio was fantastic. And it stays relatively accurate, even covering Tubman's 'visions', which were treated kinda like a superpower in the movie but IIRC they actually helped her through some jams in a larger-than-life way. But it's the kind of movie that hits certain beats, has a certain score (they even did a 'running' montage to Southern Man, just like Hunt for the Wilderpeople and a million other movies). And it tries to cover as much of her life as possible, but feels scattered as they try to cram in everything she did with still keeping the emotional core centered on her relationship with her family.

Dunno, Tubman is one of the top five badasses of all times (and should still receive a posthumous officers commission for her role in the Combahee River Raids). I could have actually used more tense action, war, cunning escapes, and etc. But then it's almost impossible to fully cover how amazing her exploits were; I guess if you did a mini-series or something, but even then it would have to be quite epic.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Empire Strikes Back was on TV last night. Effects are dated, but insignificant.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Crow.

Cheesy fun, a bit dated, but holds up totally well as an entertaining, gothy revenge flick. And with zombies and vampires years past being played out, we need more movies with revenants.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Upstream Color. Weird film about ecology, mind control worms, human relationships, and life cycles, I guess. By the guy who made Primer. I saw this once years ago. Still weird, but powerful. I think.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Big Year- Never heard of it before, came out in 2011. Jack Black, Owen Wilson, and Steve Martin are rival birders competing in a 'Big Year' to see who can spot the most birds. Apparently a real contest. Mild, pleasant, and with no edge whatsoever. Also very entertaining and a good family watch.

The Crow 2: City of Angels- Just terrible, I hoped it'd at least be funny. Vincent Perez was an awful Crow, the concept could have worked but didn't. Reboot the franchise you cowards! With a lady Crow this time (yes, I know there was a side character on the tv show, but c'mon).