Last Movie You Watched...

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I realize I'm not a superhero movie fan, but the plaudits are hard to ignore at this point. Anyone have any thoughts on the soundtrack? I heard Kendrick Lamar had a song but only recently learned Vince Staples did one too. That's a lot of talent right there.

I loved the soundtrack because of the way I didn't notice it. It was mixed just right; the music was perfect.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Ritual (Netflix). Quite good. Builds up the tension and fear very nicely. Interplay between the 4 MCs believable. Loved the monster! My only quibble was with the ending. It made sense within the story arc and it wrapped up all the plot points (hooray!). I was hoping for 1 of 2 other possible endings; either would've been more satisfying to me as a horror writer and fan.

It gets my highest rating: I put down anything else I was doing to give it my complete attention. That almost never happens.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just the thing for a rainy Sunday morning: The Tag-Along (Prime). Billed as Taiwan’s most popular horror movie. VERY well done. High production values, plot holds together, likeable characters who have secrets (never a good thing in horror), good monsters. They didn’t neglect the obligatory twist at the end. Overall, I prefer Ringu and Ju-On, but this is worth a watch.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Underworld V: Blood Wars last night. An abomination of the series. I hear the creator has plans for part VI.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Black Panther last night, baby!

By the way, if anyone wants a lesson in worldbuilding, Ryan Coogler just delivered.

Black Panther, y'all! Holy crap, it's good.

It really, really was

Black Panther. I give it my best rating: good flick.

I realize I'm not a superhero movie fan, but the plaudits are hard to ignore at this point. Anyone have any thoughts on the soundtrack? I heard Kendrick Lamar had a song but only recently learned Vince Staples did one too. That's a lot of talent right there.

O ya, ‘twas rally well done and enjoyable. The soundtrack was hypnotic at times I thought, beautiful; but I should check with the music and soundtrack-loving person I saw the movie with.

The theater was crowded for a Sunday afternoon a week after opening day. They ran out of popcorn!

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Mother

Most bizarre movie I've seen in a while. You keep watching because you want to know what's going on.

I absolutely loved this film, and the whole allegory. I think when you know what it's supposed to represent then it all makes sense. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days afterwards. I do love Aronofsky as a director.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Nebraska. What a cool movie, loved everything about it.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
O ya, ‘twas rally well done and enjoyable. The soundtrack was hypnotic at times I thought, beautiful; but I should check with the music and soundtrack-loving person I saw the movie with.

The theater was crowded for a Sunday afternoon a week after opening day. They ran out of popcorn!
I thought the soundtrack was quite well done. Re: the popcorn, it might have something to do with the friggin' commemorative PAILS they're selling... 200 oz. Two HUNDRED ounces of popcorn. :flag:

(OTOH, I'm quite amused by the eat-popcorn-from-a-character's-skull buckets... :evil)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Three Billboards. I was expecting to be blown away--big fan of McDormand, and Harrelson, and I like Sam Rockwell, and I liked the movie, but just one or two many times I found myself not liking a line or a twist, or something. To be fair, it could have been my expectations that set me up for a letdown. Or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood--I've found that with movies. That I can see the same film a second time and like it a whole lot better, and wonder just what I was looking at the first time. Frances McDormand is a great actor, in my opinion, and I think she's going to win the Academy Award.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Three Billboards. I was expecting to be blown away--big fan of McDormand, and Harrelson, and I like Sam Rockwell, and I liked the movie, but just one or two many times I found myself not liking a line or a twist, or something. To be fair, it could have been my expectations that set me up for a letdown. Or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood--I've found that with movies. That I can see the same film a second time and like it a whole lot better, and wonder just what I was looking at the first time. Frances McDormand is a great actor, in my opinion, and I think she's going to win the Academy Award.

This and Get Out have been the two hard YMMVs of the year, overall on the board I'm seeing more people who liked Three Billboards and were meh about Get Out than the opposite. In the wider internet world, Three Billboards is getting a lot of hate, and even from people who expected to like it. So I'm a little nervous (but kind of appreciate how base-splitting they both are).

Kalsik

Kalsik
Registered
Reaction score
The Train, 1964 war film about the French Resistance's efforts to stop a Nazi train from taking priceless artwork out of Paris before the allies' invaders retake the city. Burt Lancaster, impressive steam train effects and a complex villain, what more could one want from it?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen Get Out yet, though it's been all over cable for a while. Doesn't look like my kinda thing, though I think Catherine Keener is great. I always try to be fair to a movie, book, but I just had one too many moments when some detector or another went off. But, that said, I'd recommend having a look. For my $, it's not bad at all, and as I say, may improve on a second viewing. Next, I want to watch I, Tanya. Margot Robbie is good, imo, and Allison Janney can almost do no wrong.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Mother's Day, for date night with one of my daughters.

A fairly predictable Garry Marshall film (his last, IIRC). Hector Elizondo and Julia Roberts with a couple of "Pretty Woman" lines. Jennifer Anniston, Tim Olyphant, Jason Sudeikis and several others. Cute and light-ish.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Watched the first half of Metropolis Restored via Hoopla (breaking it over two nights because 2 1/2 hours is a long commitment for my computer chair, especially after an extra-hard day at work, plus my wireless headphones sometimes have charging issues and I don't want to bug family.) Using footage from the 2010 Buenos Aires print, it recreates the original movie to probably the closest we're ever going to get. For those unfamiliar with Fritz Lang's classic, this groundbreaking silent SF movie follows a son of privilege as he discovers the hellish lives lived by the workers who keep his father Joh's grand futuristic city running.

I grew up with the 1980's Giorgio Moroder version - yes, the one with the rock soundtrack. In some ways, this is a different movie, more like Thea Von Harbou's book in its heavy political, religious, and metaphorical content. (The 80's cut brings the focus in on the characters and the lead love interest... and trims out some of the rather blatant racism.) The epic scale stands out in the extra footage (some of which is still a little rough; the "new" print wasn't in great shape when discovered, evidently), with many effects that we take for granted now but which had to be painstakingly created with mirrors and such in Lang's day, with some different shades to the characters. Joh's reaction to the robotic Hel and his interactions with the mad Rotwang, for instance, are almost a whole different story. Still very much ahead of its time, and so far good, if a trifle heavy-handed on those themes. Hope to wrap up watching tomorrow.

(ETA - Finished watching. Still a pretty good movie, and it holds up remarkably well to the test of time, though the full version's pretty heavy on the Message. And I still enjoy the 80's version, which is sort of its own work, though I am an unabashed child of the 80's at heart.)

Last edited:

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Finally watched Get Out and it lived up to the hype. Super smart and eerily creepy. Definitely recommend it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

See it again. It's so f'ing good. I had wanted to see it before it opened, thought it looked good, like everyone in it, but I was really just blown away. Masterpiece.

I agree about the mood. The last time I saw Battlefield Earth was on I turned it right on but it didn't move me. I just wasn't in the mood, funny as it is.

As for Get Out, I don't think it's really worth the hour and a half or whatever, but you can see what the hype is about. I like horror, really like Keener, and Whitford (I didn't know either was in it and the aging of Whitford was disturbing, heh), and it came on cable and I was like 'well, ok...' Bleh.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
See it again. It's so f'ing good. I had wanted to see it before it opened, thought it looked good, like everyone in it, but I was really just blown away. Masterpiece.

I agree about the mood. The last time I saw Battlefield Earth was on I turned it right on but it didn't move me. I just wasn't in the mood, funny as it is.

As for Get Out, I don't think it's really worth the hour and a half or whatever, but you can see what the hype is about. I like horror, really like Keener, and Whitford (I didn't know either was in it and the aging of Whitford was disturbing, heh), and it came on cable and I was like 'well, ok...' Bleh.

Yeah, I'm sure I will see it again. I've liked everything I've seen McDormand do, Laurel Cyn, Wonder Boys, etc, and since mine is the minority opinion, it's quite possible that it was me, or my mood at the time--I am a renowned moody bastard. The Oscars are tomorrow so I might try to see one or two nominated for one thing one thing or another.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Olive Kitterage was amazing. We are both lowbrow action movie types in my household, and were shocked at how much we enjoyed it.

I haven't seen that. But I see that it was directed by Lisa Cholodenko, who also did The Kids Are Alright, which I thought was great. Big fan of all those actors, but Ruffalo in You Can Count On Me, that movie is one you don't hear that much about, but it's one of my favorites. And Julianne Moore is a courageous actor. She's done some very edgy stuff.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
If you stick with Olive to the end, there's a cameo I wouldn't dare spoiling.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
three billboards (yeah, I'm in the WTF group of viewers. Fantastic, just fantastic acting. Satisfying ending but in the middle, one character in particular...WHAT? i'm fine with redemption but...)
French TV series Nicholas Le Floch - absolutely fabulous! French detective during the last days of Louis XV and into Louis XVI. Swashbuckling, great stories--not for the faint of heart!
French TV series Spiral--sort of a French Law and Order...very dark but really, really good.
Shetland-fantastic detective series set on the Shetland Islands. The scenery...
Paris - French mini series - outstanding!!! Really, really, REALLY good. Watched it over two days!
Poldark series...commented in the political thread. Liked it very much, then...YUCK!!!!
Catastrophe - wonderful British series.

Big Little Lies - based on Aussie book but set in CA. Meh. Even Kidman can't save it. Awesome book, though.
the Big Picture - based on a terrific book set in CT and MT, the movie is set in Paris and...nope. Doesn't work

The decoy bride - wonderful romantic comedy set in the Hebrides