Last Movie You Watched...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Shelly It was good. Four stars, two thumbs up. :)

I had thought Frankenstein was inspired by typical societal reaction to the new technology, electricity, the same way radiation and nuclear bombs inspired Godzilla and the slew of giant everythings. No. Not so. The movie was an eye opener as to how Shelly developed her characters and what the story was actually about. As a writer, the movie had a special significance.

And without giving away too much, some of the stereotypical treatment of women didn't happen, but other aspects of how women were and are still treated did. In other words there was not physical violence but that doesn't mean women's lives were peachy in the movie.

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. I love the books it's based on (the grand oeuvre of Patrick O'Brian), and I love this movie. Gorgeous look, gorgeous soundtrack, great casting, and it really captures the spirit of the novels even though it doesn't actually reproduce any of the plots directly. I wish it had succeeded in launching the hoped-for franchise, but it stands alone just fine.

That movie is amazing. I wanted to pull the screen sideways and up to see more of the world, it was so realistically created. I've read about 3 of the books and really enjoyed them, very immersive.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Our weekly movie education with our 16-year-old son has taken a break for Christmas movies.

Friday night: Elf (We missed our Sunday night Christmas movie because my husband was sick.)
Sunday night: Die Hard (Yes, it's a Christmas movie. Fight me.)

it's not officially Christmas until Hans Gruber falls from the building.

thomasdown92

Registered
Reaction score
Watched The Ghost Writer yesterday...there is nothing like seeing a writer embroiled in a chilling adventure :p

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Dumplin'. Really liked it! The way it was filmed and the color grading really elevated it.

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
Equals.

Kristen Stewart and the other actors do a fine job. The plot isn't totally original (why do all the alt-future movies feature color-coded uniforms?). As with many others in this genre, there's been a disaster and society has been rebuilt, divided between a strict, insulated world and a mysterious, wild "other" place. Still, it was entertaining. I never felt bored or annoyed. If nothing else, the scenery, camera work, and people are beautiful to look at.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mission Impossible: Fallout

The first half was fun, the second, not so much - Couldn't wait for it to just. be. over. :rolleyes

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Poppins Returns. Yes, definitely a love letter to the original. Emily Blunt is a bit tarter than Julie Andrews. Lin-Manuel Miranda is utterly adorable. Some moments of true sweetness, a lot of nice singing & dancing, a lot of animation both modern and old-fashioned, and some perfect cameos, both predictable and unexpected. I've always loved the original (my very first movie!), and I don't think this one is quite on the same level (I didn't come out humming any of the tunes, though they were all perfectly good). But I still recommend it very highly if you have or ever were a child.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Crazy Rich Asians.

Hmm. The cast was excellent, with Constance Wu and Michelle Yeoh being stand-outs. And I think it works well enough as a silly romcom. But I dunno, kinda plotless and it felt constantly rushed and overstuffed. And for all his much-vaunted handsomeness, Nick was kinda passive and sucky.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Aquaman. It definitely embraces its comic book identity more than most of the DC stuff, and was frankly more enjoyable as a result (I'm looking at you, grimdark Batman!).

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
Equals.

Kristen Stewart and the other actors do a fine job. The plot isn't totally original (why do all the alt-future movies feature color-coded uniforms?). As with many others in this genre, there's been a disaster and society has been rebuilt, divided between a strict, insulated world and a mysterious, wild "other" place. Still, it was entertaining. I never felt bored or annoyed. If nothing else, the scenery, camera work, and people are beautiful to look at.

I really liked this movie! I thought it was really interesting and I was intrigued by the plot. At the end, though, I found myself wanting maybe five more minutes. It seemed to end at the beginning of another chapter, kind of. Can't quite place my finger on it.

Crazy Rich Asians.

Hmm. The cast was excellent, with Constance Wu and Michelle Yeoh being stand-outs. And I think it works well enough as a silly romcom. But I dunno, kinda plotless and it felt constantly rushed and overstuffed. And for all his much-vaunted handsomeness, Nick was kinda passive and sucky.

I struggled with the hype for this movie. In my opinion, this movie did not make good use of the talented Constance Wu. I thought she suffered from being a passive protagonist; everything happened to her and she was mainly reacting to things. She was outshined by Awkwafina in terms of humor and personality. It was a good movie. Loved the cast. Love Constance Wu. But I don't think it lived up to the hype.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Queen of Scots

I went in expecting to be bored for a couple of hours, but that wasn't the case. It was a well told, well framed story.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
Birdbox on Netflix. It was quite good. I really enjoyed it, but not as much as A Quiet Place. I felt that in a 2+ hour movie, we probably should have gotten a little more information than we did. But very enjoyable.

Searching. My new favorite movie of all time. It was exciting from start to finish. I loved the format. I loved everything about it. Can't recommend it enough.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Birdbox on Netflix. It was quite good. I really enjoyed it, but not as much as A Quiet Place. I felt that in a 2+ hour movie, we probably should have gotten a little more information than we did. But very enjoyable.

Agree completely. Had a few major questions by the end that weren’t answered but should have been.