Last Movie You Watched...

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Queen of Scots.

I went into it with some trepidation, because that's a period I know very well and the world really doesn't need another trashification of the story that dumps all the history in favor of pretty faces and made-up shit. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Reign. And The Tudors. And etc...)

But really, it was actually very good. Much better than the trailers led me to expect. Except for the inevitable Mary/Elizabeth F2F (which never happened, but is dramatically necessary in any play/movie/show about the 2 queens) they stuck pretty closely to the outlines of history. The acting was good. (David Tennant was a fierce John Knox!) I appreciated that Mary and her 4 Maries spoke French together in private -- because of course they would have. A lot of the soundtrack consisted of genuine 16c tunes played authentically. There were a few inappropriate kilts in the background (kilts weren't a thing in the 16c, they were invented much later) and the production was overall visually dark -- lots of natural light, shadowy interiors, and most of the cast very hairy and dressed in black, & while these are clearly deliberate choices for reasons I can't argue with, my old eyes regret it. But I do recommend the film. I'd see it again, in a double-feature with the 1971 version (Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave, Timothy Dalton) for a good compare-and-contrast.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
On the Basis of Sex. Liked it overall, although it was a bit clichéd.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The Martian. Kind of a Castaway in space. I miss the interactive dialogue, but it is a sole survivor story so...Overall, okay I guess. At least there was no narration. I believe this originated with a book. I'll have to check.

It did. I loved the book (was originally self-pubbed or Wattpadded), and enjoyed the movie.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Night Eats the World (Prime). More or less 'Robinson Crusoe does the ZA.' Okay, but covered no new ground. I started hitting fast-forward before the halfway point. Firmly in the category 'movies to watch while you're folding laundry'.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
The Dark Knight Rises. Bit of a mixed bag here. The main villain was too over the top for me, and the whole setup was wrong. But I did like Anne Hathaway's Catwoman and her transformation into something resembling heroic; I think the movie should have had more of her and less of the former.

The Core Almost certainly the most scientifically ridiculous movie ever made. Yet one of my favourites!

Kickass Another one I've seen before but forgot how darkly funny it is. The scene with the Tra-la-la song is a classic.

Ant Man and the Wasp I've not seen a Marvel movie for a while and missed Ant Man and Civil war. Good fun (strange what can survive at the subatomic level though)

Incredibles 2 I like this movie...! Nice to see the baby jack-jack getting a role, and some other superheroes are present too. Cool action sequences.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Now this is an interesting one. It's an odd sort of mashup between 18th Century attitudes and, err, 21st Century Zombies. I wouldn't say it's funny but it's certainly clever. I'm inspired to try the original, something I never thought I would.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
The Island of Dr. Moreau. Man, this was dark and forbidding. Brando did fine, yet he seemed a bit exhausted or tired. I loved the female cat. I can't pronounce her name (Farusia something?), I'll look it up later, but she co-starred with Adam Sandler in Waterboy. She did a dance move that really knocked me for a loop. The orbiting hips--I think it's called the Swing. Don't know. Wish I knew the name of it. Utra sexy.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Skyline (Netflix). Aliens invade; rich LA hipsters try to cope. It blithely steals from The Matrix, Doctor Who, Independence Day, Cowboys & Aliens...probably others I didn't notice. I watched it because I like the 2 guy MCs, except one was killed off early to trigger more emotion on the other one. Minor sledgehammer Save the Cat moment early on.

Overall, though, forgettable. Several plot holes and the ending, while foreshadowed with another sledgehammer, raised more questions and caused an 'Are you kidding me?' instead of somehow making the audience go 'aw.'

Weird but watchable if you send your brain out for takeout.

Last edited:

MindfulInquirer

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody heard of 'Moon' (2009) ? Just watched it. Had caught moments of it on TV before, decided it was intriguing and finally saw the whole thing. A bit disappointing for a film that had so much good said about it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel. Both are very funny, and mine the original material for lots of easy and obvious joke, they were also sweeter than I remember and try to split the difference between meta snark and the genuine sweetness you remember from the original. Everyone is cast very well and having a good time, the stand-out are Mr. Brady and a slightly-psychotic but still believable Jan. And I choose to accept the twist at the end of the sequel about who Ms. Brady's former husband was as canon.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Anybody heard of 'Moon' (2009) ? Just watched it. Had caught moments of it on TV before, decided it was intriguing and finally saw the whole thing. A bit disappointing for a film that had so much good said about it.

I'd been tempted to watch it based on the trailer. Not worth it?

Wife and I saw The Upside last week. I enjoyed it. A little odd seeing Kevin Hart in a mostly serious role, but it was a decent enough flick. I sort of want to see the original French movie now.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

I remember liking it. Nothing amazaballs, but interesting, solidly-realized movie SF.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
The 2017 documentary "Score" about how movie soundtracks are created, and their history. It was -amazing-. Among those interviewed: Danny Elfman, Trent Reznor of the band Nine Inch Nails, several Disney soundtrack creators. I've been recommending it left and right, to those with and without musicality in their lives.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
YellowBrickRoad (on DVD). It gets mixed reviews and has definite flaws, but I give it a solid 7-10. It's a mind-warp journey into an alternate earth, and when watched straight through rewards the viewer with serious shivers.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Glass - because I really, really wanted to get out of the house and it was what was showing next.

I liked Unbreakable. I got the twist long before it came, but I still enjoyed it. I never saw Split, so I have no opinion one way or the other, but I like James McAvoy.

This one was long, and mostly boring. It takes way too long to get to the point, and then once it does, we spend another 30 minutes or so getting Shyamalan's signature twist, compounded with additional twists upon twists. It needed to be tighter, a lot tighter, and more focused. Also, there are a lot of what I presume are flashbacks to Split. I never saw that movie, but even I didn't need that many flashbacks. I got the gist from what actually happened on the screen.

4/10... Maybe 5 for a lot of shirtless JM...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Scary Movie 2. Been a long time since I've seen it, and it's actually pretty terrible. Got a good cast, with baby Anna Faris, Chris Elliot, and Tim Curry. But Chris Elliot's whole thing is his deformed hard and Tim Curry has giant erect nipples for some reason. Actually, both of them are funny, but it's still very bad. And there are tons of callback jokes to pop culture circa 2000-2001, so if you were around then, you get to feel old...

Gah, what did I expect!?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Bohemian Rhapsody. A great, great bio/doc of the band Queen and the portrayal of Freddie Mercury. One of the best band movies I've ever seen. Can't pronounce nor spell the Freddie Mercury actor's name, but he was astonishing in the part. Of course, the music was top rate and really came through in stereo.

Killing Pablo. Good doc account of what it took to hunt the bastard down and end him. Quite political, but tolerable.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I never cared for Chris Elliott for some reason, but now I'm kind of liking him in Schitt$ Creek...

I am a consistent fan of his stuff, everything from the criminally underrated Get a Life! to the horrible Cabin Boy, which I love, to the more recent Eagleheart. Schitt$ is pretty solid.