Last Movie You Watched...

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Widows. Sure, there's action and explosions and stuff, but those are just punctuation on a character-driven story. Well worth seeing.

Nic Schuck

Registered
Reaction score
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Brilliant. Not sure what other words to say about it, but it was the best movie I've seen a pretty long time.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read A Prayer for Owen Meany? The film was adapted from that book. Not a huge John Irving fan, but that book was worth reading.
Yep ... and the fact that Irving forced the filmmaker to change the title and the name of the lead character speaks volumes about the quality of the film.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Widows. Sure, there's action and explosions and stuff, but those are just punctuation on a character-driven story. Well worth seeing.

Being a big fan of Viola Davis (but I will not watch How to Get Away With Murder because it's hot trash), it was a given the wife and I were going to see Widows. What? No CGI? Not a sequel, remake or relaunch? No big fight between a pure good guy and an evil bad guy? Man, what a scam. Director Steve McQueen co-wrote the screenplay with Gillian "Gone Girl" Flynn and they made Widows as an adult story for adult sensibilities?

And instead of a "stinger" for a Widows 2--which incidentally will never be made--we get a new Sade track with the end credits??!! Well, don't I feel like a real putz. :e2tomato:

Give it an "8" on a ten scale. Nothing particularly profound or deep happens, but this is as good as casts gets in flicks like this and I appreciated all of them. Go see Widows.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Watched "The Man Who Invented Christmas." If you're a writer or wanting to be one, then you'll laugh through this movie. It's about Charles Dickens writing "A Christmas Carol." Probably like 95% fictional, but Dickens' writing process reminds me of my own. It was nice to see yesterday when I was feeling bad about my work.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

A simple but brilliant New Zealand film starring Sam Neill and an awesome little kid called Julian Dennison. It’s a story about a “bad egg” kid who ends up in his last-chance foster home. So many golden one-liners! One of the reasons why NZ should be invaded by Australia: we’d love to have legitimate credit for this movie. I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t love this film if they’ve seen it.

That movie is SO GOOD. Everyone should see it!

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Okay, the new Robin Hood:

It's like a little kid is telling the half-remembered story of Robin Hood to a friend and doesn't know anything about the Crusades or the Church or how Medieval society worked so all the characters are in modern hair, clothes, and makeup with a few old-timey touches and instead of Robin owing military service to the Crown because feudalism he gets a draft notice and the Sheriff of Nottingham is the Big Bad so he's got to be the biggest, baddest, most important person in the whole world and is personally funding the Crusades and also dresses like a cross between a Sith Lord and a Nazi because Evil but the kid has a multi-million dollar special effects budget so there are awesome explosions and killer action sequences and oh my God it's a silly movie but, you know. Fun.

The movie was so bad - the anachronism soup was insane; the dialogue was corny; the villains were completely ridiculous; the modern allegory was totally over-the-top; the action was quite simply impossible...

So, there is no good reason why I should have loved it so much. It's like I just checked my brain at the door and rode it like a roller coaster.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Under the silver lake.
Well, that's two hours of my life I'll never get back. What a muddle.

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
Have you read A Prayer for Owen Meany? The film was adapted from that book. Not a huge John Irving fan, but that book was worth reading.

I loved that book. For some reason, I didn't read any other of Irving's after it which is strange.

Last movie I saw was Wind River. I liked it but it felt slightly insubstantial somehow like it never really got started. I like slow burn movies but there wasn't really enough burn.

WilkinsonMJ

Registered
Reaction score
Last night I made my housemates watch 'The Muppet's Christmas Carol', undoubtedly the best adaptation of the work.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Woman in Gold with Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds not being a wise-ass. Instead, he's an inexperienced attorney helping an elderly friend of his mother's get back Klimt (sp?) paintings seized by the Nazis, and the Austrian government ain't havin' any of it.

Much better than anticipated. It had been sitting in the queue for quite some time.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. I love the books it's based on (the grand oeuvre of Patrick O'Brian), and I love this movie. Gorgeous look, gorgeous soundtrack, great casting, and it really captures the spirit of the novels even though it doesn't actually reproduce any of the plots directly. I wish it had succeeded in launching the hoped-for franchise, but it stands alone just fine.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. I love the books it's based on (the grand oeuvre of Patrick O'Brian), and I love this movie. Gorgeous look, gorgeous soundtrack, great casting, and it really captures the spirit of the novels even though it doesn't actually reproduce any of the plots directly. I wish it had succeeded in launching the hoped-for franchise, but it stands alone just fine.

My brother rounded Cape Horn on the Europa. A couple of crewmates on that trip were crew on that movie, literally flying from closing scenes to the Europa.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I Tonya, which was surprisingly good. Didn't realize Tonya Harding had it so tough during her early life. Her mother seemed to be a puke. She could have at least placed in the finals had she not resorted to the devious plan to take Nancy out of the competition. And I do believe Tonya orchestrated that attack, so I have little sympathy for her.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Widows was very good. Gorgeous cinematography, great acting, great writing. I hope it wins some awards this year; it deserves them.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix DVD: Kramer vs Kramer

yup, a little old school movie to help pass the time when you are feeling crappy over the weekend.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Our weekly movie education with our 16-year-old son has taken a break for Christmas movies.

Friday night: Elf (We missed our Sunday night Christmas movie because my husband was sick.)
Sunday night: Die Hard (Yes, it's a Christmas movie. Fight me.)