Last Movie You Watched...

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
been a long time since I was last at the movie theater... (around xmas)

but I went and saw TOMB RAIDER...and I absolutely love it. and i am definitely gonna go see the sequel!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another Rifftrax last night: Planet Outlaws, a 1950's movie edited from a 1939 12-episode Buck Rogers serial starring Larry "Buster" Crabbe, riffed by Matthew J. Elliot and Ian Potter. A freak accident preserves blimp pilot Buck Rogers and his boy sidekick, Buddy, for 500 years. They wake after being rescued by citizens of the Hidden City, last free refuge on an Earth crushed by the evil ruler Killer Kane. A treaty with the Saturnian civilization will tip the balance - but who will secure their support, Kang or the City? Somehow, in a world of "gravity belts" and interstellar rockets and Dissolvo Ray invisibility, the answer will be found in a man who flew a 1930's airship into an icestorm...

The serial can't have been cheap to film, for all that the ship FX date terribly and the writing's all over the map; the art deco sets are fairly elaborate, and include a city shot that was probably spliced in from Fritz Lang's Metropolis. As a 12-episode serial, it might've been campy, B-grade sci-fi action fun. As a barely-over-an-hour recut, it's borderline unwatchable. As the Rifftrax site says in its pitch, it's like the opposite of a Reader's Digest condensed version, keeping all the extraneous stuff that doesn't actually explain who, what, when, where, why, or how anything happens. Even given the editing atrocities, though, the storyline has some serious weaknesses; after the good guys take a bad guy's ship and are almost destroyed when their own side mistakes them for an enemy, they do the same exact thing, with the same exact results, twice more. (Apparently, despite having communication devices capable of reaching Saturn in real time, nobody thought to install radios as standard ship equipment... though the bad guys seem to have their own radios when they need them.) The riffing's pretty fun, the British riffers again establishing their own flavor, but there's a fair bit of drag factor from the movie to overcome, further weighed down as the whole story is just a sci-fi tale being read by some mustached guy pitching the wonders and triumphs of American science as it defends freedoms around the world.

D_Shalayek

Registered
Reaction score
The most recent movie I watched was The Last Jedi. I waited until it came out on video because of all the negativity surrounding it when it was released. I shouldn't have waited. I loved the movie.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Bonnie and Clyde (Beatty and Dunaway). First time watching. Fascinating. Director’s scene choices made excellent viewing. I wasn’t gripped, but it held my interest which is saying a lot since I don’t care to watch either of the leads.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I, Tonya.

Really well done.

I just saw this too. I found it interesting, and they did a great job recreating the skating scenes.

If they had revised the skating scoring system back then, I think Tonya would have gotten higher scores. A triple axel is worth a lot of points.

Zoey141

Registered
Reaction score
Last movie that I watched was a horror called 'Veronica' on Netlfix. Overhyped movie. Nothing scary or interesting to write about!

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Thor: Ragnarok. I was a little underwhelmed by the plot, I must admit. Still cool watching the Hulk and Thor fight it out even though these subsidiary movies are feeling a little formulaic at this point.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Atomic Blonde.

Spy story, worthwhile with a lot of twists and more twists. But the majority of the movie is Charlize Theron fighting off and killing bad guys.

It was set in an interesting time in East Berlin as protests were leading to taking the wall down. I liked that addition.

Next up: Valerian. I know, I'm a bit behind. :tongue

Last edited:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Atomic Blonde.

Spy story, worthwhile with a lot of twists and more twists. But the majority of the movie is Charlize Theron fighting off and killing bad guys.

It was set in an interesting time in East Berlin as protests were leading to taking the wall down. I liked that addition.

Next up: Valerian. I know, I'm a bit behind. :tongue

totally loved Atomic Blonde...especially with the background soundtrack!

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Baby Driver. Really enjoyable, great car chases and soundtrack.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I watched an interesting documentary last night, it's called "Greed: a fatal desire" and it's free to stream on topdocumentary. I'd recommend it, plus I'd recommend reading the topdocumentary comment thread, it's pretty entertaining - I find it helpful as a fiction writer to see how differently we all see the world, and many different views are reflected in those different comments.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
More Rifftrax. (What can I say? I'm still jazzed that they're finally getting to Krull this August... "live", no less.) Tonight's was 1973's attempt at surreality, existentialism, social commentary, monster madness, and anti-sheep propaganda, Godmonster of Indian Flats. A hard-luck shepherd, Eddie, gets robbed in small-town Virginia City, which somehow leads to him witnessing the birth of a bizarre hunk of meat that a local scientist excitedly insists is linked to old legends from the region's mining days. Meanwhile, an out-of-towner is trying to buy up local land claims for an Eastern conglomerate that wants to reopen the mines, but a local bigwig and conservator doesn't appreciate interlopers, resorting to extreme measures.

This has to qualify as one of the top five most random assortment of images, sounds, characters, and scenes I've ever witnessed that dared to presume legitimacy by calling itself a movie. Every scene seems to be filmed by throwing a script (not always the same script) in front of a fan, then picking up random pages and reading random lines. It's sort of trying to be surreal, or existential, or some sort of commentary on society or conservation or, I dunno, shepherding or historical re-enactors? I watched it, and still don't know what the frell it was about... plus the ending's lame on a scale approaching the infamous Monster-a-Go-Go revelation that there was no monster. (There was a monster here, a giant sheep embryo thing dragging a vestigal foreleg like some bizarre cross between a monster mutton and a tauntaun, but there might as well have not been one for all that it really figures into the plot...) The riffers do a great job expressing their jaw-dropping confusion at what's happening, a confusion mirrored by the viewing audience, though ultimately the whole thing is just too much deadweight. Could not be convinced to watch again, even with riffing.

Zoe R

Fluffhead! Fluffy fluffy head!
Registered
Reaction score
Love, Simon.

I'm not one for these types of movies - but the feels were strong.

I enjoyed Love, Simon as well :)

Just got back from Tomb Raider, found it pretty entertaining - lots of game feeling if you've played the recent ps4 game! Walton Goggins is also always entertaining, and I love the new Lara.

PS - Moviepass rocks if you like going to movies!

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder Woman. I thought it was kind of bad at first, but the last two thirds of the film were really great.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix Streaming: Veronika.
i think having it subtitled really took the rumored "so scary you can't finish it" right out....

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Valarian.

It was an OK, fun movie. But sheesh, they had so much to work with, why the need to copy Star Wars tropes like the garbage room and all the Jabba the Hut characters?

The love affair totally missed the boat even though the characters were likeable.

And the plot hole near the end where Valerian acts honorably one minute, then less than a minute later reverts back to "I'm a soldier", should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Great CGI, lots of fun, but that can't carry a movie by itself.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Valarian.

It was an OK, fun movie. But sheesh, they had so much to work with, why the need to copy Star Wars tropes like the garbage room and all the Jabba the Hut characters?

The love affair totally missed the boat even though the characters were likeable.

And the plot hole near the end where Valerian acts honorably one minute, then less than a minute later reverts back to "I'm a soldier", should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Great CGI, lots of fun, but that can't carry a movie by itself.

I haven't seen Valerian but I remember hearing it's based on a book or comic that came out before Star Wars and might've even inspired Lucas.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Re: Ready Player one. Same with me. I thought it was a fun ride with lots of cool things to see. Spielberg got formulaic with his presentation a long time ago, but it was a good movie and we all liked it. Plus, we saw it at one of those theaters where the chairs are interactive, so that was pretty cool, too.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
i was on spring break for a week, and then had a short week afterwards so I have watched a crap ton of movies:

I, Tanya (excellent acting/film)
The Darkest Hour (wow. Gary Oldman. wow)
La La Land (LOVE LOVE LOVE)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (holy wow. EXCELLENT film/acting)
Shape of Water (Very good, but I thought Three Billboards was better)
Get Out (strange, but I enjoyed it--great actor)
Annihilation (strange, but I enjoyed it very much)
John Wick (repeat, love)
The Mummy (with Tom Cruise--entertaining)
Ready Player One (I am completely in love with this movie. COMPLETELY)

Last edited:

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
Me and the Hubs came home from a wedding in LA, kicked off our shoes, and put on Valerian.

Don't do what we did.

I love Luc Besson, but that was uncalled for, sir.